Adelaide - a city with few job opportunities, subtle racism and a bleak future

Guest Dion

I know exactly what you mean Zebedee,in our particular case i can categorically say that we sadly have lost far more than we ever gained,me and my husband that is.My husband was made redundant about 6 weeks ago and despite several promising interviews is still out of work.In 10 yrs this is probably i would say his 10th or 11th job due to either redundancy or lack of work,or he has moved due to the job not matching in terms and conditions not matching what he was promised at the interview.I would wholeheartedly agree with the contention that it is really about who you know here.The commutes for my husband have in recent yrs been totally hideous,at least 2-3 hrs per day.The conditions in terms of equipment and health and safety are dire at many places in his trade.When you have worked at first class dealerships for most of your life it hasyr in yr out, a detrimental effect upon you.As a result of this and healthissues for me and my daughter i havent been able to work here despite being in a very well paid job full time professional career in the UK.In addition as a result of his lack of holiday accumulation,apart from bank hols we have only spent about 5 weeks together since we came in 2005.Contrast that with the same time period in the uk,when he would have had 40 weeks.Job insecurity and being laid off is a regular feature here and the bottom line is in certain trades there are only small business owners, who are answerable to no one and rule your life accordingly. My husband has had 3 days off sick in ten yrs,despite having ongoing health issues and one hitler boss demanded a sick note from the Dr for a one day absence,for that transgression. I love the place,i love the people,but no work and no holidays do not a happy life make.

In the event i had had that crystal ball in 2005 i know what decision i would have made.We have ultimately stayed for our daughter,but she is now talking of having to leave Adelaide upon graduation to find work in her chosen profession.

Sue

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that Sue - its such a tough call, if you don't make the move it will always be "what if"....I admire anyone who takes this huge step. I'm probably sat right on the 50/50 mark at the moment.........probably the main thing I think I need, other than sorting out the commute, is joining some club and making some new friends, I was involved in the scouts back up in Lockleys and made lots of great friends - haven't really replicated that yet in McLaren Vale...and it's been made much harder by the long hours.

From what you say then, maybe working for a big, faceless corporation isn't such a bad deal........

Sorry to hear that Sue - its such a tough call, if you don't make the move it will always be "what if"....I admire anyone who takes this huge step. I'm probably sat right on the 50/50 mark at the moment.........probably the main thing I think I need, other than sorting out the commute, is joining some club and making some new friends, I was involved in the scouts back up in Lockleys and made lots of great friends - haven't really replicated that yet in McLaren Vale...and it's been made much harder by the long hours.

From what you say then, maybe working for a big, faceless corporation isn't such a bad deal........

I think if you can find a better balance and some interests outside of work as you say, it can help make a difference. I know when we moved from one area to another in the UK, it changed our social life completely and we were really surprised by it. It was for the better and we both got a lot out of that move.

Its hard moving to a new area when settled in another. I am looking forward to moving away from Glenelg but also am nervous about leaving the suburb as it suits us well in many ways and we've made a few friends here, found our groove as it were and its familar. However, we are not moving too far away and the only really big change for us is that our son will have to change schools at some point. Then we'll slowly move over things like his sporting clubs and a few other things. But I am wary of how I may feel more cut off to begin with but can at least nip back here whenever if I want to.

I can appreciate how a commute like that can really take the shine off life in general though. Hubby did a 4-5 hour commute for a while in the UK when we lived rural and hated it. It got us both down and he had to leave at 5.30am and wasn't home till gone 8pm most nights. In the end we moved areas totally to be closer to his work, ended up with a 30 minute commute on his bike and he was home about 6pm most nights. I think that made a world of difference all round. I know you are not able to do that from McClaren Vale but I really do hope that the commute time comes down a little for you, so its at least a bit of an improvement for you. I think even 15-20 minutes would see you feeling better about things.

Come up to South East Queensland, except for any Lancastrians - see no subtle racism here:smile:.

Seriously though, it does appear to be a little harder for a lot of people there in Adelaide/SA and I feel for you all in trying to make a good life for your families. I think there would be more opportunities in the larger more populated areas of Australia, but it would mean having to do another big upheaval move.

Here in The Brisbane SE corner we do have a great variety of coastal, inland, highland and very urban areas to suit all types of lifestyle living and all reasonably close to where there is work. Still might not be instant work wherever you go just more chances of finding something.

Good luck to you all.

Keith

Believe me having worked for a big corporation in the uk ,there is a stark contrast and hubby could only dream of a senior manager or a HR Dept.

Cant go to Queensland either as Keith has banned us,we are from Manchester,so Mancs and Lancs.

Hubby saw a job on Hamilton Island last week,if daughter wasnt at Uni here we would have been very tempted.

Sue

Guest BurgessFamily

We have been here almost 5 years. The honeymoon is over and it's now about living life and trying to enjoy it along the way. I have had stable employment, but the commute it a pain in the ass (60mins). I don't see it improving much by car as the traffic is generally from Flinders to the City. As far as the trains go, as long as there are road crossings (and not bridges) things will always be slow.

I miss having lots to do, beyond walks, beaches / fresh air, etc... Done the museums multiple times. Long for a good aquarium to visit and miss days out at theme parks (or a theme park), castles, and 'old' stuff. Seriously would consider a move to Brisbane for the fun it seems to offer, just not sure on the weather there. :)

Financially we are possibly better off now (at least until the next unscheduled Dentist visit), though I am a manager now so the work load if a lot higher that anything I did in the UK, and they aren't keen on claiming time-in-lieu (no overtime of course).

Still, we have not had a good holiday for a long time, and when I think back to choosing Adelaide for it's location to the east coast (and short flights) it's not the same as jumping on an EasyJet flight for a short break - costs too much.

• 1 month later...
Guest brianlynnette

Im in Aldinga and even tho I love it and was looking forward to the train line extension its now turned into a right pain in the arse for me haha, I used to get the 749 to seaford, moana, christies beach and Noarlunga, since the train line opened they took the 749 off and replaced it with a 750 which only goes as far as seaford trainstation, I then have to get off and get a different bus or train to wherever I wanna go, I have been in touch with the local mp to get a petition started to get the 749 back on but we'll see, as for a train ride to the city that doesn't bother me but I don't work so I don't have to do it every day, we've decided to give it a bit longer until we decide what to do but I can honestly say hindsight and we wouldn't of come, even tho I love it here there's still something missing for us? some just fall into the place and work etc and im happy for them but for us its been a struggle which I do feel sad about, because the thought of going back home scares me aswell :( but I wouldn't change anything we've done :)

Im in Aldinga and even tho I love it and was looking forward to the train line extension its now turned into a right pain in the arse for me haha, I used to get the 749 to seaford, moana, christies beach and Noarlunga, since the train line opened they took the 749 off and replaced it with a 750 which only goes as far as seaford trainstation, I then have to get off and get a different bus or train to wherever I wanna go, I have been in touch with the local mp to get a petition started to get the 749 back on but we'll see, as for a train ride to the city that doesn't bother me but I don't work so I don't have to do it every day, we've decided to give it a bit longer until we decide what to do but I can honestly say hindsight and we wouldn't of come, even tho I love it here there's still something missing for us? some just fall into the place and work etc and im happy for them but for us its been a struggle which I do feel sad about, because the thought of going back home scares me aswell :( but I wouldn't change anything we've done :)

I have said this before but i think living right down there you miss out on what Adelaide has to offer. Adelaide is a fantastic city and if you can't just pop in at the drop of a hat you're missing out.

Edited by jimmyskinner

Guest Guest12727
I have said this before but i think living right down there you miss out on what Adelaide has to offer. Adelaide is a fantastic city and if you can't just pop in at the drop of a hat you're missing out.

Yes, my thoughts when I read the post were "why not try moving to a different part of Adelaide first, rather than head straight back?" Aldinga and the other Southern coastal suburbs would not me my choice to live, as I love what Adelaide has to offer in and around the City and the fantastically easy, short commutes to work compared with what we had in the UK. Different places suit different people, but you can't judge the whole of living in SA by one location just as you can't compare living in London with living in Buckinghamshire.

Yes, my thoughts when I read the post were "why not try moving to a different part of Adelaide first, rather than head straight back?" Aldinga and the other Southern coastal suburbs would not me my choice to live, as I love what Adelaide has to offer in and around the City and the fantastically easy, short commutes to work compared with what we had in the UK. Different places suit different people, but you can't judge the whole of living in SA by one location just as you can't compare living in London with living in Buckinghamshire.

Such a good point - SA is HUGE, okay mostly pretty empty....but still, there is a lot more to SA than Adelaide, and Adelaide in itself is a big geographical area with variable suburbs. Personally, it's only my job that keeps us tied to Adelaide as I am happiest out in the bush.

I don't consider any place in Adelaide or the surrounds off limits for getting to if there is an event; we never say its too far - as in other side of the City.

We all joke that when I have to travel to Seaford for football and say it's a long way, but its not really that far. In London I sometimes didn't goto a gig in Brixton on a weeknight because it just took too long to get back from, as I lived NW. As for getting somewhere that involved the M25!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest Tysonian

I'm from Adelaide too and remember the difficulties of getting my first job in the mid 90's, however I managed it. My friends, whom I left behind to work and travel for the past 10 years, all found full-time permanent work including those who studied at university (one now being a mathematician at the University of Adelaide), and I have just this morning had my first interview, over Skype, for a permanent and full-time post in Adelaide (after three applications completed in a week) despite not being available to start work until early August and having taken a gap year to spend time with my first born son. Similarly, Spanish migrants I have made contact with (my wife is Spanish) have all managed to find permanent and full time posts in Adelaide. Perhaps difficulties in the job market are somewhat sector-related, or due to a smaller job market (a friend in Iceland described once how the job market there is "horrendous" despite less than 2% unemployment and existing skills shortages) meaning less jobs are advertised in a given time period? It is true that Adelaide has for a long time lagged behind the other mainland capitals, the state bank collapse did us in through the 90's in particular, and the impending exit of Holden is concerning, but I really don't think the place is all doom and gloom, compared to my experience in London and Madrid, it looks decidedly rosy :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest thumbsup

From what i can see all the positive posts come from people who have jobs. People who are working tend to live in an employment bubble, i know i have been there. Its the same thing that allows the government to bash youth and other unemployed as bludgers. Statistically some migrants will find jobs as in this forum but your individual reality is not the reality of the majority. Take alook, people all over this forum are struggling to gain work, there is even a topic area dedicated to people moving back to the UK. I personally sent out over 500 applications from warehousing, call centre,

to my area of qualification, temp to permanent, rijiged my resume and cover letter many times, done numerous selection criteria. Had a few interviews, the closest i got was a roleplay for call centre.