Top suburbs for snakes

Diane

Snake season is here again, keep an eye out when you're out and about - watch your pets particularly - and here are the snake hotspots: http://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/19126699/snake-catcher-shares-his-most-common-call-out-suburbs/?post_id=100003622557918_381634658633949

hi just thought I would add to this...I am a vet nurse so we are now aware of snake season......O'Halloran hill seems to be quite a common spot for snakes and last week already had a possible snake bite in a cat......just be aware that dogs can be dead within 20 minutes of a snake bite so its best to be prompt and seek treatment even if not 100% sure....cats are more resilient and many will survive without any treatment......hope all your pets keep safe!!

Useful info, thanks. I know that it seems from the news article that there are loads of snakes but as a dog walker how often in reality do you come across them?

Tony

We've seen a couple on our walks - both in the park and at the beach - but have been lucky generally (touch wood). However, one of our neighbours used to have a Borzoi that got bitten when exploring in some reeds, and died; the same neighbour found a brown by his (indoor) pool one day as well, and one of our cats bought a baby brown home one time and had obviously been bitten (legs started to go) - cost us about $1000 for medical treatment, and that was a lot cheaper than it would have been had my husband not taken the snake in as well to the vets (not to cure, it was a bit late for that!) for identification. It does depend on the area you live in though - but definitely keeping piles of wood around your place to the minimum etc. Fellow dog walkers in the park where we walk often tell us about sightings, mostly by the bridges - but that's probably because they are the ones you see. it's the ones you don't see that you need to worry about!

just be vigilant ...and to other posters, from a vets point of view its really useful to know the type of snake as each will use a different anti-venom...then most common we see are the browns (and don't be fooled, the babies are more venomous as they have a full store of venom! although at this time of year, all will have full supply of venom as will have just come out of hibernation).....in recent training, we learnt that around water is where the tiger snakes like to live....from the animals that we have seen, most tend to be bitten at home where snakes come into yards....again, urgent vet treatment is vital, esp in dogs and as diane said, the cost of treatment can be expensive (the cost of antivenom is phenominal!!) - hope this helps...feel free to mail me if I can help with any pet issues!

Hi all.

We are bringing our two cats.

So are you saying that cats dont die if bitten.

How much is pet insurance

Cats tend to have a higher survival rate; as far as I understand it this is because they are easier to immobilise/don't run around as much so the poison doesn't get through their system as quickly. The brown snake venom seems to travel through the body, paralysing as it goes, so for our cat its legs were the first sign it had been bitten but we were able to immobilise it and get it to the vets in time for the anti-venin to be administered. On the other hand, the cat survived that but was not so lucky when it got hit by a car - so despite snakes, cars - as anywhere - are the bigger danger if you have a cat that goes outside :sad: