Adelaide's Best Beaches - Survey Results

Jessica Berry

Personally have never been to Aldinga as it's on the other side from where I leave and a fair distance for us who live city side. Have been to Somerton Beach, Seacliff, Glenelg, Henley, Grange and Tennyson. I love Glenelg South because of the great walk they have along there. Always nice at night. Seacliff Hotel has a lovely Pub on the esplanade....and even a good fish and chips shop next door (but I don't have gourmet fish and chip shop tastes.....so don't quote me). Glenelg is a bit touristy (for me). Somerton Beach is a really nice clean beach I used to go there with my Dad and friends when I was a teenager, so lots of nice memories there. Henley Beach is a bit of a "happening" place. Lots of nice coffee shops, food areas and has nice "live music" in the warmer months. Lots of good times having lunch/dinner with friends after having a long walk. I stayed at Grange for a while and they also have a nice Pub on the esplanade with good food. Always good for a walk at night in the hot weather. Tennyson must be the "millionaire's" beach. Huge homes with no road between the house and the beach! Some areas very private too. I think my favourite is Somerton Beach not only because of the clean beach but because of the nice memories. I should probably check out Aldinga though!

I wonder where the survey was done.

Using Survey Monkey. More information in this article if you click on the link saying...or click here for all the results.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/south/aldinga-beach-is-named-adelaides-best-beach-2013-in-a-messenger-and-advertiser-survey/story-fni9llv7-1226784355976

We haven't been too impressed with Aldinga - for a start you have to walk down to it rather than straight onto it (too much like Cornwall for my liking!) and the beach is actually quite stepped rather than the gentle slopes of the more urban beaches. I think I'd have to say my favourite so far is Semaphore although it always seems to be windy when we visit but it has the pier, the train, the kiosk, coffee shops, a play park and the waterslides if you fancy spending money too.

We visited Tennyson Beach on Christmas Day for the first time and we were very disappointed. As soon as we walked onto the beach there were 3 dogs running around annoying people, even though they were supposed to be on a lead until 8pm, then another dog ran onto the beach did a c*ap, no one picked it up. I think the owners were on the beach but they never made contact with the dog they just let it run around.

We visited Tennyson Beach on Christmas Day for the first time and we were very disappointed. As soon as we walked onto the beach there were 3 dogs running around annoying people, even though they were supposed to be on a lead until 8pm, then another dog ran onto the beach did a c*ap, no one picked it up. I think the owners were on the beach but they never made contact with the dog they just let it run around.

Know what you mean and then it doesn't matter how beautiful the beach is, a selfish few can spoil the day for many. We went to Port Noarlunga and decided to go right of the jetty for a change, bad mistake....seems to be a unwritten rule that dogs run free there.

Twice while sitting on the sand below the rocks we had wet smelly dogs bounding amongst us, covering our beach towels with sand and water and scaring the children:mad:

Had the usual response when I challenged them....he won't hurt you, he's just being friendly :err: are you stupid?.....we don't care ffs keep it on a bloody lead like the law clearly states.....think I might have to start retaliating soon.

I personally love Nomanville and Horseshoe bay beautiful spots to visit :xmas1:

Me too, great beaches. I suppose it depends how far the beaches can be from Adelaide in a survey like this. Hard to beat Horseshoe Bay - it takes us about the same time to get there as metro beaches, so we generally head down there unless it's a bit cooler when we might go gulf instead of the colder water - but I'd hardly regard it as an Adelaide beach.

Guest yer tiz
My wife was talking to an Aussie friend saying that we had been to Tennyson Beach and she said you know what goes off there don't you? We had no idea what she was talking about, seems more suited to Stan Collymore, George Michael and friends!!!!

what playing football and singing.

My wife was talking to an Aussie friend saying that we had been to Tennyson Beach and she said you know what goes off there don't you? We had no idea what she was talking about, seems more suited to Stan Collymore, George Michael and friends!!!!
That's a queer statement !:confused:Snort like that at all.:wink:

Maslin beach is lovely, but does have similar problems to the one's described at Tennyson.

One day while collecting shells with my daughter, she shouts "look dad, a carrot" and sure enough there it was, a big carrot on a beach......I thought that was unusual, but what was even more strange is that on closer inspection I could see it was inside a condom :shocked::err:........there's some odd folk out there:rolleyes:

Maslin beach is lovely, but does have similar problems to the one's described at Tennyson.

One day while collecting shells with my daughter, she shouts "look dad, a carrot" and sure enough there it was, a big carrot on a beach......I thought that was unusual, but what was even more strange is that on closer inspection I could see it was inside a condom :shocked::err:........there's some odd folk out there:rolleyes:

Some very odd folk indeed. The mind boggles!

Guest dingding66

Port N and Aldinga beaches are so over rated

In my opinion no idea how they got in the top two ......

I love beaches like Normansville and Maslin very pretty spots ...... shame on Maslin you have to unclad :arghh:

Wurzel gummidge has put his nose where it doesn't belong,Aunt Sally is traumatised!:biggrin:

:biggrin: