457 visa application... is this really needed??

candt

Hi all

The job offer has been approved by the Australian government :-) the recruitment agent has asked their visa agent to contact us so we can give him all our information to lodge the application. After speaking to this guy I have absolutely no confidence in him.

None of the following is an issue that will prevent us from going but it is additional cost and time that may not be necessary.

Can you tell me if the following is true?

1, We will all need to provide criminal record checks from the UK - none of us have ever had any criminal convictions.

2, We will all need to have medicals - none of us have any known medical issues

3, My husband will need to take a skills test - We are moving to Adelaide, I thought that was only needed in NSW?

Can anyone let me know their experiences or knowledge on the above ?

Thanks in advance

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Candt :smile:

Maybe you should have a read here http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/457.aspx it is the immi page regarding 457 visas.

you definatly will need police checks and medicals and as Blossom says quite possibly the assessment, so if these are the reasons you have no confidance in him you might be jumping the gun a bit?!

It sounds like they are paying an agent to make your application for you, lots of people use agents and have to pay thousands to do so. You could check if the agent is Registered if you wanted to.

Immigration is a bloody expensive business.

Claire

Hi we didn't need a police check or medicals for a 457 i think this very much depends on the occupation (i think it may be required if your working with children) or skills assessment, just needed proof of qualifications and references from previous employers, I'm assuming you do mean the 457 temporary visa, if you go on to make the move permanent then you will need them, (maybe not the skills assessment if your here over 2 years). Once it was submitted it also only took less than a week to be approved.

Debbie

We are on a 457 and also didn't need a police check or medical though the company sponsoring me used an agent on our behalf to speed up the process. I also didn't need to do a skills test, just provide copies of my education certs and professional qualifications.