How hard is it to get a rental that allows dogs?

Pmckin14

Guest Claire-n-tel
It's not THAT hard. Don't discount places who don't mention pets. We have three cats and found a landlord to take us on. The chickens were more of a problem, so we had to rehome them. :-(

In your bellies?!

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the replies good to know there are places out there, that’s a great idea offering an extra bond. She is going for her rabies injection today so unfortunately will not be ready to fly out until 2 months after us so hopefully we will be able to get something secured for her arrival.

Thanks

We purposefully rented a place that said "pets permitted" now were a few weeks in and want to get a dog.

We asked the letting agent to ask the landlord if it was ok and after 3 emails totally ignoring the question, they have come back and said "he wants to think about it because of the carpets?"

Bit annoyed TBH

Hi

So we had thought about getting our dog rehomed but now the time has come I just cant bring myself to do it. I was just wondering if anyone has brought over their pets and how have they found securing rentals? She is a very small jack russel.

Thanks in advance

Its not that difficult to secure a pet friendly rental (with a small Jack) it should not be an issue, I don't get the NO PETS ALLOWED scene with some landlords, I'm a landlord and allow dogs in my property's (the property's are less than 8yrs old and one is a Scott Salisbury ) we have an excellent agent and tenants are made to sign an additional "Doggie Claws" (excuse then pun) so its made very clear to the tenant that after the end of an rental term the house is left in the same condition as the start otherwise the bond will suffer that's the norm anyway, 6 monthly photographic inspections and a strict tenant vetting by the agent have been invaluable and to date we have had no issues , carpets are cleaned and certified (that's carried out regardless pets or no pet any way), with the Scot Salisbury home we allowed removal of rear utility door and a dog door replacement with the original door to be replaced @ lease end ( we do stipulate professional installations), so as a previous poster has noted, always ask the question of pets although it may not mention it in the advertisement...

Guess the wife and I are biased being dog lovers.....please don't even think of rehoming your pup........ unfortunately nothing available with us all on long leases

in fact we have one tenant who has been with us for 6 years

Guest Claire-n-tel
We purposefully rented a place that said "pets permitted" now were a few weeks in and want to get a dog.

We asked the letting agent to ask the landlord if it was ok and after 3 emails totally ignoring the question, they have come back and said "he wants to think about it because of the carpets?"

Bit annoyed TBH

TBH if it was listed as pets permitted I wouldn't have even asked!.....what does your contract say?

We have owned a rental for 4 years now with the same tenant . She initially had 2 dogs, but one died earlier this year. She signed an additional doggie rental form. No problems whatsoever. Personally I would rather rent to folks with dogs than kids. Far less hassle...personally I would offer an extra doggie bond or rent. Be aware though that dogs mostly stay outside in oz. So glad you are thinking about bringing your dog over..says a lot about a person.

BTW when are you thinking of coming over...we are looking to buy another rental at the beginning of next year if all goes to plan

Edited by Husky

O missed the last part of your post, we are flying to Brisbane on the 3rd of January to stay with my uncle for 2 weeks, then flight is booked to Adelaide 19th January :-) so excited.

That's great...keep in touch ....we may have a rental but it will be in the south....looking at Reynella,morphett vale,woodcroft

We have a rental which didn't say pets were permitted but we just asked and they allowed it (we are the same as you we had to come first and our dog is going to join us in October). The landlord is even putting an extra gate onto the property for our dog! :wink:

Yes feel awful actually as he has been really nice but we are going to be breaking our lease as the school we like for our kids is zoned so we need to move to another area ASAP to get them in! So if anyone wants a 3 bed in flagstaff hill that allows pets let me know and I can give you details ;-)