"Proximity to CBD" - what a ....

notpom

Personally I love being within easy reach of the city - I love the Central Market, the Botanic Gardens, being able to get to the Oval easily, the Rhino Rooms, Rundle Mall at Christmas Time, the Tour Downunder in January, Fringe Shows and Festival Shows during Mad March, the Clipsal, the theatre, not to mention the work and performance opportunities for my teenagers. Adelaide has plenty of culture and sports and music if you know where to look, although often an interstater such as yourself @notpom might not be in on the local secrets!

We were just saying at work today how Adelaide being a sleepy little backwater can have a lot of advantages insofar as I guess it would not be on the publicity radars of those who wish to get worldwide coverage for their cause. Long may that last!

And mountains are there for people like you that have mole hills to play with.

Ignorant people are happy people.

Up until 2000 and even slightly longer Sydney's seaside suburb of Bellevue Hill has had slightly depressed property prices. On average it was 20-30% cheaper than neighbouring areas.

I bet you do not know reason for that. It was actually because in 1942 japanese submarine fired 10 rounds across eastern suburbs, one of which has actually exploded.

Ignorant people are happy people.

Up until 2000 and even slightly longer Sydney's seaside suburb of Bellevue Hill has had slightly depressed property prices. On average it was 20-30% cheaper than neighbouring areas.

I bet you do not know reason for that. It was actually because in 1942 japanese submarine fired 10 rounds across eastern suburbs, one of which has actually exploded.

If your Australian History lesson were correct than property prices in Rose Bay and Woolahra would have been equally affected but not to my knowledge.

Whilst we are being accurate, Laureate Thomas Gray got it right...... ignorance is bliss

If your Australian History lesson were correct than property prices in Rose Bay and Woolahra would have been equally affected but not to my knowledge.

Whilst we are being accurate, Laureate Thomas Gray got it right...... ignorance is bliss

People who can not read properly are even happier than ignoramuses. From 10 shells fired only one has exploded - destroying residential house.:mad:

Wouldn't want to live anywhere but within striking distance of CBD. Can walk in or cycle easily. Also close to the Parade. Like to walk out for a meal, cinema, theatre, fringe, WOMAD even to the Oval. Have a house in the Hills where we used to live. We rent it out as too remote for us now. We like the buzz. We are in our 50 s.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND There is a reason it is more expensive to live nearer the City.

Posts are only removed if they break forum rules. Feel free to have a read through. Everyone has the ignore function so you can avoid having to see posts by certain members.

Any more questioning of how the moderating works should be directed by pm to admin, not on the open forum (also against forum rules).

Thank you.

Wouldn't want to live anywhere but within striking distance of CBD. Can walk in or cycle easily. Also close to the Parade. Like to walk out for a meal, cinema, theatre, fringe, WOMAD even to the Oval. Have a house in the Hills where we used to live. We rent it out as too remote for us now. We like the buzz. We are in our 50 s.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND There is a reason it is more expensive to live nearer the City.

Yeah, you right. Supply and demand.

Problem is - demand to be close to Adelaide CBD is practically completely irrational. Just purely snobbish (oh look how cool I am), and dictated by stereotypes (inability to see beyond your own nose).

People work their bums off to pay over the top to live close to work (the main cause of depression in this country). Wherever you go there you are. Live close to the cause of depression - get it plus other mental disorders, like being "Senior member" on this forum.

Save every penny, put it in the piggy bank to get a holiday rental on the Esplanade in Port Noarlunga or Moana. Get two weeks a year break from the depressing CBD.

All that in the name of what? To impress people you do not like that you live in a "cool" place? To despise happy smart people who live near the ocean - like on holiday all year round?

Edited by snifter
removed paragrapah

Right, I've been through this thread, tidied it and hopefully gotten it all.

Now, to make it clear, if you have concerns about a post, use the report button. Its the little ! inside a triangle below every post on the forum, on the left hand side of the screen. If using Tapatalk on a handheld device, you tap the post on screen once, it changes colour and a little list of options appear, one saying MORE. Select this option and a REPORT option will appear along with some others. Report it that way. Simples :)

The OP has posted a perhaps rather sensitive topic to discuss and has some rather definate views themselves that some may not agree with. As Diane said earlier (in a now deleted post as I chopped a fair old bit from this thread) that despite the OP's abrupt manner, it may be useful for new migrants who don't know Adelaide and some might find it useful to hear some viewpoints on why people think proximity to the CBD is or isn't something they should consider. One man's meat and all that. Yes in an ideal world the OP would have introduced themselves but many who join forums don't do this and it is not something we specficically ask of a new member. Also many on here don't have English as a first language so may use wording or phrasing we may not be so used to being native speakers. How English is taught elsewhere in the world is not how native speakers may actually use it in day to day life. I try to cut some slack in that regard having myself lived in countries where I had to learn the language and know how many times I was overly formal or used what the locals considered old fashioned choice of wording and only really get to grips with the colloquial language over time and even then still resorted to more formal or less used wording when writing or speaking on occasion.

We don't see why the forum has to only discuss nicey nicey topics or why people cannot discuss contentious or stories in the news. Its an open forum, there is an off topic area for subjects not related to a specific area of migration or living in SA/Adelaide, perhaps we may move this thread there. Personal comments and replies to them have been removed. As have a number of posts questioning the validity of this thread, speculation as to why it is left and more. Any of those concerns please report as per above or contact mods/admin via PM. This thread is not the place to post those concerns. Discuss the subject at hand, play the topic not the poster and keep it civil, even if views are strong, people can, believe it or not have a written debate. I saw plenty of actual proper replies to the OP so I know some are discussing or wanted to at least reply.

Now, lets move on shall we :) Discuss the topic, not a poster or posters and save the digs, personal comments and the rest of that for off the forum.

Yeah, you right. Supply and demand.

Problem is - demand to be close to Adelaide CBD is practically completely irrational. Just purely snobbish (oh look how cool I am), and dictated by stereotypes (inability to see beyond your own nose).

People work their bums off to pay over the top to live close to work (the main cause of depression in this country). Wherever you go there you are. Live close to the cause of depression - get it plus other mental disorders, like being "Senior member" on this forum.

Save every penny, put it in the piggy bank to get a holiday rental on the Esplanade in Port Noarlunga or Moana. Get two weeks a year break from the depressing CBD.

All that in the name of what? To impress people you do not like that you live in a "cool" place? To despise happy smart people who live near the ocean - like on holiday all year round?

You have a very unique way of putting things across!

I have my opinions about other suburbs but I wouldn't want to express them and cause offence...

I enjoy where I live and would only substitute it for an area like McLaren Vale or Wiilunga.

Although I enjoy living in Port Noarlunga I cannot afford the esplanade.

If I had bought on Christies Beach or Port Noarlunga esplanade when we moved here I would have made a lot of money.

The suburbs of Christies and Port Noarlunga are undergoing a major regeneration and combined with the Onkaparinga medium density policy I think that demand will grow and grow.

Edited by Tamara (Homes Down Under)

I think most people live where they can afford and where they would like to live. Sure there might be some people with 'snobbery' but there are a variety of suberbs and areas with different aspects and features.

I love the South and being close to the beaches as I grew up on that lifestyle and my kids love it. Most places are very and reasonably accessible, for me.

With regards to terrorism, it's been a round for a very long time. I remember the plane hijackings etc in the 60's and 70's and other situations including the Olympics. Fear is a weapon that cost no money and easy to instil. Bad things happen everyday, but the thought that some people can align themselves to a cause that is reaped through despicable acts, is very sad.

I am very happy living in Australia and know that cross party support will always be there for the security of this country.

Cheers,

Cooler

I am in no way implying any superiority regarding where I live. It certainly isn't everyone's idea of heaven. You said you couldn't understand why anyone would like to live in the CBD. I was simply sYing that I do. I do not find it depressing or dangerous at all. I do find some of the other suburbs depressing though as there isn't always a centre and they are dead after 7 pm. Like ghost towns. I like more going on. Maybe it is an age thing I am not on the treadmill of 30 somethings but semi retired with kids almost all flown the nest.

Some people long to retire to the country after living in the city but some do it the other way round.

I am glad we don't all want to live in the same place

how much time have you spent in the city recently I find it vibrant and fun in the evenings in many areas around Gouger, Rundle, Halifax, Hutt etc

I couldn't agree more!

I enjoy our visits to the city. We often have breakfast or dinner in town or North Adelaide. I like to attend shows in the city, cricket games, concerts at the other side of the city at the Adelaide entertainment centre and The Gov in Hindmarsh. Often meet friends and always feel safe in the city at night. We have our favourite places to eat in the city and are spoiled for choice!

My travels are predominantly off peak and 30 minutes from the entertainment centre in Port Road to my home in Port Noarlunga is normal. The two way expressway means that we now "pop through" to the central market and shops off Gouger St and the trips are usually less than 30 minutes.

I personally wouldn't live there at present but if I was younger (showing my age!) I reckon that city living would be great!

Agree that living further out would. E cheaper but I do like a drink when I go out so taxi fares need to come into the calculation.

I just like to stroll out in the evening and enjoy to me that is like s permanent holiday. I can cycle down the linear trail to the beach ii. 50 mins or drive in 25 mins max.

No age age barrier to living in the city I think it is good to be less car dependent as you get older anyway.