What can I not ship over?

portnoarlungaaug2015

Hi everyone,

I am about halfway through my visa application and just thinking ahead...

I am looking at buying around a quarter to a half of a container to bring over loved items. I have been reading on the border protection website and can find lots about illegal items which you cannot bring in.

the only very relevant piece of information I can find it that the item has to be used and owned for the last twelve months? Is this correct as I have bought new items to take with me?

i have also been told I can use uk electrical items over there as the voltage is the same (just need a plug adapter) is this correct? Will these be confiscated?

i have had a family member say I won't be able to take anything wooden? (They haven't ever been to oz!)

i am coming from the Uk

if anyone can give me any advice, or stories about their experience of shipping items over in containers etc and if you have had any items confiscated and why?

Thanks in in advance for your help ?

You will be fine with new stuff. Strictly speaking you are supposed to pay duty on anything less than 12 months old but if it is stuff you have bought for personal use customs aren't that bothered unless you have declared it as being less than 12 months old. They aren't going to go through all your stuff to check if anything is less than 12 months old. They may get a bit suspicious if you have a whole load of stuff in it's original packaging that has obviously never even been unpacked.

Electrical items will work fine here with a change of plug. Or a UK power board with a change of plug. Adapters aren't really safe for long term use. Wooden furniture is normally fine as it has been treated. Wicker is a no. Untreated wooden items are best left behind. There is a whole load of information on the Australia customs site about what is and isn't allowed. Some shipping companies also have info on there websites as well. Oh, and watch our for Xmas decorations as things like pine cones are not allowed. Our box of xmas decorations was one of just two or three boxes that was opened by AQIS.

We're just about to get quotes for shipping, & have been talking about what we are going to leave behind & what we are going to buy before we go (or at least price up whether certain things are cheaper in the UK or Australia).

We don't plan on taking ours as it's integrated, but I'm sure I read somewhere that fridge/freezers are better left behind? But don't quote me as I'm not 100% sure.

We don't plan on taking ours as it's integrated, but I'm sure I read somewhere that fridge/freezers are better left behind? But don't quote me as I'm not 100% sure.

Your fridge will work fine it's just that they need to work harder over here because it's so much warmer which is why buying a fridge designed for Australian conditions is your best bet once you arrive (but they are expensive new). We brought our under-counter larder fridge with us because we'd only had it just over 12 months and when the removal guy was unloading at this end he asked us where we wanted our bar fridge - I had to tell him that was our only fridge and it had to go in the kitchen; within 2 months we'd bought (a second-hand) big fridge because you have to keep so much more in it - things that were fine in a cupboard in the UK would melt or attract ants here. That's why they have fridges big enough to live in :smile:

(and our original fridge is now in the laundry being used to store drinks....)

Thank you all, I have found some info on this on he customs website. The main things they are worried about are new items in the box like one post mentioned above because you may end up selling them, items that were once alive (inc wood) and the obvious stuff which is illegal. I agree with you nicF they are very unlikely to go through all my boxes to check things are 12+ months old lol.

Thank you for your advice and words of luck Samandcraig. Hopefully we will be there soon. Good luck to all of you in the future :) xx

We're just about to get quotes for shipping, & have been talking about what we are going to leave behind & what we are going to buy before we go (or at least price up whether certain things are cheaper in the UK or Australia).

Lol I can imagine the fridge situation then again my husband is desperate for a massive fridge so he has a good excuse when we are over there lol

Xx

Guest Guest75

All tools ,especially gardening implements must be very clean. No traces of dirt /soil at all. Jeyes Fluid is good for this. Quarantine love to smell it!

The odd brand new item is fine. It's when there are multiples as then it looks as if you are bringing in to sell.

Hi, we have just had three removal quotes in the last week or so and the only wood we were told we couldn't bring was untreated wood and wicker. Our wooden nest of tables which are varnished are fine, a wooden shelving unit from Ikea was also OK and so was a pool table with a chipboard base as this was factory produced and therefore not a problem. Wicker was the main no no but luckily we don't have wicker. Our main concern is bringing our tent. It has only been used a handful of times and we are hoping that as long as we ensure it is clean and free from any soil then it will be OK - any advice from anyone who brought a tent would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, we have just had three removal quotes in the last week or so and the only wood we were told we couldn't bring was untreated wood and wicker. Our wooden nest of tables which are varnished are fine, a wooden shelving unit from Ikea was also OK and so was a pool table with a chipboard base as this was factory produced and therefore not a problem. Wicker was the main no no but luckily we don't have wicker. Our main concern is bringing our tent. It has only been used a handful of times and we are hoping that as long as we ensure it is clean and free from any soil then it will be OK - any advice from anyone who brought a tent would be appreciated. Thanks

I think so long as its clean and free from soil etc it will be fine. If in doubt, ensure its packed in a box that the customs people can easily get to and open. We cleaned all our shoes/boots etc and packed them in 2 boxes along with a box of Christmas decorations and ensured we loaded them last on the container so they could get to them with little effort. Made sure we numbered them and stated clearly on the shipping list the contents. They checked both as all 3 boxes were opened and resealed with customs packing tape. It was all good. We used Zoflora for cleaning outdoor things like bikes and shoes as smelt nicer than Jeyes. Also loaded the bikes at the end with those boxes. Passed fine also.

Guest Guest75

DO BRING................ Your good bedding, quilts, electric blankets and warmer clothes and coats .

It does get cold here in winter.:idea:

It would be worth going back through some of the other threads on this subject.