Working in your chosen occupation

Ktee

It depends on how much longer the west wants to keep crippling the Rusky economy.

I want fuel to go up, but not when they wanna be greedy when oil per barrel has not changed and they suck us for another 20cents per litre.

HG

I don't want fuel to rise, it already costs us an extra 15-20 cents more than those down South

My partner does his trade that he came out on ( don't think he could do anything else, think petrol runs in his veins! Bloody mechanics).

I was a park ranger for 10 years before coming over and I now work as qualified aged care worker and a trainee veterinary nurse. I miss the practical side of rangering everyday but love the challenge of a new career.

Edited by huggesy
Spelling

My partner does his trade that he came out on ( don't think he could do anything else, think petrol runs in his veins! Bloody mechanics).

I was a park ranger for 10 years before coming over and I now work as qualified aged care worker and a trainee veterinary nurse. I miss the practical side of rangering everyday but love the challenge of a new career.

There was a Rangers job up here advertised the other day, it was going up in the Cape in a 4x4 camping out, etc it sounded fantastic. The wage was really good as well it was part time and I was told the wage was $84,000

I've been quite down about it all as I'm only 43 and a write off.

I refuse to claim disability as that's admitting I'm a write off.

Although to be honest I think I should be an early years teacher as some people on the forums act like kids.

Ktee, I don't know you, but your post made me feel overwhelmingly sad.

Leaving out anything that might sound inappropriate on a forum, I would urge you to claim anything you are entitled to. That most certainly is not giving up, or allowing anyone to see you as a 'write off'. It's as simple as this : you and your OH put in to the system for just such an eventuality. And claiming while you need it doesn't mean you'll be on it forever.

Simple and fair (like me really lol).

As for your final point...:biglaugh::biglaugh:

:wubclub: LC

Guest Guest75
Could you not do the boat licenses? Or even the Coxswain? That would be something you love or you could even start doing fishing tours, just make sure people pay you as I know that was one of your bug bears offering to take people out and them not paying you anythng.

The boat licences here in SA can be done at Transport SA (Rego) with a multiple choice questionnaire, no practical!!. People have gotten themselves killed by going out soon after with a Gung Ho attitude!

Yep ,my bug bear is folk who do not chip in...............it costs me thousands to keep the boat on the water and anyone who has been out in the tub can honestly say they have had a real exerience!

I did a 6 week Seamanship course with With Sea Rescue Adelaide and after passing I just handed in my certificate and was given a license.

Love to do this myself as an accredited course but I fell as if I was pinching from Sea Rescue - who are a great bunch.

Love to do this myself as an accredited course but I fell as if I was pinching from Sea Rescue - who are a great bunch.

I wouldn't have thought you would have let friendships get in your way of starting something new, I didn't think things like that bothered you.

I agree it should be a practical though, a multiple choice questionnaire is asking for trouble. :wacko: Is that just in SA or everywhere? I'm sure someone had said over on PIO you have a prac on tying knots etc.

I used to teach kids ..now I teach adults. So many people enter the classroom with low self esteem and confidence...its an amazing experience helping them. Whilst others are cocky and think they know it all...when in reality most of it is a front to hide their failings....it doesn't take long to work out which category they fall into. Either ways its fantastic helping others who aren't as fortunate as us.

Guest Guest75
I wouldn't have thought you would have let friendships get in your way of starting something new, I didn't think things like that bothered you.

I agree it should be a practical though, a multiple choice questionnaire is asking for trouble. :wacko: Is that just in SA or everywhere? I'm sure someone had said over on PIO you have a prac on tying knots etc.

This is not a friendship matter, these guys at Sea Rescue give relentlessly ,free of charge, with no expectation of remuneration/ profit.

I have been there when a great rescue happened but very little thanks and certainly no dipping into pockets for a donation.:unsure:

In SA it is the multiple choice only if ya want to go down that deathly route.

This is not a friendship matter, these guys at Sea Rescue give relentlessly ,free of charge, with no expectation of remuneration/ profit.

I have been there when a great rescue happened but very little thanks and certainly no dipping into pockets for a donation.:unsure:

In SA it is the multiple choice only if ya want to go down that deathly route.

I think all charities are amazing, I'd find it hard to single one out especially volunteer services. Anyway we better get back on topic. That's a thread for another time.

OH works in IT, he was the main applicant (our visa entitled us to work/live anywhere in Australia and we chose to come to Adelaide) and he has worked in IT roles since we arrived. He has had no trouble finding work and is one of the lucky people where being on the skills list has genuinely meant his skills are in demand.

we are still both working in the same occupation

hubby came over as a chef and actually went into a higher role in the kitchen than he was in the UK - a good opportunity for a little embellishment here and there on the CV combined with them having no knowledge of the venues he worked at in the UK actually worked in our favour :-)

i am am still working as a travel agent and went a little backwards as I used to be a manager in the UK but I am now back up in a management role over here and finally feel like I'm getting back to the level I left at so worked out well!

Guest Guest14361

I lasted in my trade as a boilermaker for 2 years, that was 24 years ago, never been near it since, the pay was poo, as are a lot of manufacturing jobs. If the sub corp shuts down there will be a massive surplus of tradies looking for jobs aswell, yet the government still invites tradies from overseas