Working in your chosen occupation

Ktee

I'd be interested to know, if you are NOT in the same occupation, is it from choice, or necessity?

My OH and I are both in the same occupations. He came over prepared to go back on the tools, but in fact he never had to.

:smile: LC

Choice for me, in a way :) We decided we wanted one of us (usually me) to be able to be there for school drop off and pick up and after school for clubs/sports, play dates and so on. So I didn't seek a full on job or a full time position. My income is secondary so its not a deal breaker for us if I am not working much or working in a casual position. I have enough to keep me busy inside of school hours, use OSCH one or two days a week when needed and a couple of days in the school hols if I can't arrange something else. I travel down to Port Adelaide once a week for a long day working which is fine for one day but if I had to do it 5 days a week, I'd not want to do it with that long a commute. I still do the school drop off that day but its OSCH after school till I can get back or hubby finishes for the day.

In an ideal world I'd love to be back working with animals in some capacity but that probably isn't going to happen here. No biggie, hopefully we'll have some chooks soon, we have a new doglet in our family now and I encourage all kinds of wildlife (apart from possums and rats :nah:) in the garden. We have an array of stunning birds visit regularly, koalas in nearby trees, blue tongues in all 4 corners of the garden and a gecko living under the dishwasher who pops out now and again to say hello :cute:

Choice for me, in a way :) We decided we wanted one of us (usually me) to be able to be there for school drop off and pick up and after school for clubs/sports, play dates and so on. So I didn't seek a full on job or a full time position. My income is secondary so its not a deal breaker for us if I am not working much or working in a casual position. I have enough to keep me busy inside of school hours, use OSCH one or two days a week when needed and a couple of days in the school hols if I can't arrange something else. I travel down to Port Adelaide once a week for a long day working which is fine for one day but if I had to do it 5 days a week, I'd not want to do it with that long a commute. I still do the school drop off that day but its OSCH after school till I can get back or hubby finishes for the day.

In an ideal world I'd love to be back working with animals in some capacity but that probably isn't going to happen here. No biggie, hopefully we'll have some chooks soon, we have a new doglet in our family now and I encourage all kinds of wildlife (apart from possums and rats :nah:) in the garden. We have an array of stunning birds visit regularly, koalas in nearby trees, blue tongues in all 4 corners of the garden and a gecko living under the dishwasher who pops out now and again to say hello :cute:

Have you though of becoming a wildlife carer? I think you would be brilliant.

I'd be interested to know, if you are NOT in the same occupation, is it from choice, or necessity?

My OH and I are both in the same occupations. He came over prepared to go back on the tools, but in fact he never had to.

Mine was medical, no one would employ me now and I wouldn't expect them to, I would love to be able to go back in to it though. I've been quite down about it all as I'm only 43 and a write off. I need to think of a job (as we need the money and Rob is my carer) that I can do but is based on an as and when I can work, or something I can do at home. I refuse to claim disability as that's admitting I'm a write off. If a miracle happens then I'm back to my old job no doubt, I find working with animals easier than some humans. Although to be honest I think I should be an early years teacher as some people on the forums act like kids.

I was a senior teacher in the UK, couldn't get a job here as a classroom teacher, now work in sales. Really miss the teaching, although I do love life in Adelaide!!!

Would you have ever considered trying another state.

I suppose it's the case of uplifting family all over again isn't it with still no guarantee of work.

Have spent the past 2 years trying to come up with something else I could be - since I had to re-train and obtain Australian qualifications anyway I had my pick of courses - but came down on the side of sticking with what I know and am about to start on a Diploma in Early Childhood Education, so I can be a Family Daycare Practitioner. I know I hate working for other people and in an office, I like being at home for my children and I like choosing what I'm going to do with my time and so I came back to childcare.

My husband, who was the main applicant has been in employment in his field since we arrived so it's hard to say if we'd move state to find work. We like SA and it's slower pace but when it comes to providing for your family I suppose you're sometimes faced with Hobson's Choice.

That's a brilliant question!

I would have been happy doing my career but things weren't meant to be.

For the hubby it's an interesting answer. He had "a passion" for what he used to do and never saw himself doing anything different. After 25 years he was at the top of his field. We came here and he applied for jobs...no results. After contacting employers as to why he wasn't given an interview he was told that he wasn't allowed to do the job here as his qualifications were not recognised. Instead of banging your head against the wall and throwing things in: He enrolled in TAFE, started work with a large hardware company, and got sick...all in the same month. The rest is history. He continues to work a few hours a week, he is my skivvy with the houses and things will run their course until i'm also a full time carer.

Guest vikkiann
Mine was medical, no one would employ me now and I wouldn't expect them to, I would love to be able to go back in to it though. I've been quite down about it all as I'm only 43 and a write off. I need to think of a job (as we need the money and Rob is my carer) that I can do but is based on an as and when I can work, or something I can do at home. I refuse to claim disability as that's admitting I'm a write off. If a miracle happens then I'm back to my old job no doubt, I find working with animals easier than some humans. Although to be honest I think I should be an early years teacher as some people on the forums act like kids.

Have you thought about retraining as an early years teacher?

I thought it was only 4 years training and a honours degree.

Guest Guest75

I'd love to go into teaching!!

I thoroughly enjoy teaching folks "the ropes" for boating.

I did think about starting it up as a business but the insurance and weather unpredictability puts me off

Most of it is common sense but when you make somebody actually do it rather than read it all works well.

Have you thought about retraining as an early years teacher?

I thought it was only 4 years training and a honours degree.

As said I would love to but I can't physically work anymore. This year so far I've 6 operations due all large ones and all removing more body parts so no one would employ me.

I'd love to go into teaching!!

I thoroughly enjoy teaching folks "the ropes" for boating.

I did think about starting it up as a business but the insurance and weather unpredictability puts me off

Most of it is common sense but when you make somebody actually do it rather than read it all works well.

Could you not do the boat licenses? Or even the Coxswain? That would be something you love or you could even start doing fishing tours, just make sure people pay you as I know that was one of your bug bears offering to take people out and them not paying you anythng.

I hate when people have a job or business making heaps of money but complain about it non stop......

Lol maybe they want to let us do it instead. I think when we worked it out we earn something like 50cents an hour. Thankfully we both had good jobs in the UK and when we first arrived here that allowed us to save money.