Wine regions- North versus South.

Guest Guest75

I have to declare a bias as I live in the Barossa, work for Penfolds and deal with independent grape growers in the Adelaide Hills hence I think Penfolds Adelaide Hills wines are clearly the best.

How many iconic wineries are there in the South? Any? One? OK up here we have the Death Star at Wolf Blass spuing out a kinds of white and red liquids and Jacobs Creek producing the cheap wines to get English girls laid but the rest is pretty special. Plus we have the high altitude whites from Eden Valley.

For anyone coming up here, first stop off at the Tourist Info in Tanunda or the bookshop in Tanunda and get a copy of the Barossa Traveller. Its 5 - 6 years old and so bits may be a bit outdated but it lists all the Barossa and Eden Valley wineries large to small. Ignore Penfolds, JC and W Blass (size is no guide to quality) and head for Taste Eden Valley and Smallfry in Angaston, Artisans in Vine Vale, and Torbreck and Chateau Tanunda in Tanunda.

I have to declare a bias as I live in the Barossa, work for Penfolds and deal with independent grape growers in the Adelaide Hills hence I think Penfolds Adelaide Hills wines are clearly the best.

How many iconic wineries are there in the South? Any? One? OK up here we have the Death Star at Wolf Blass spuing out a kinds of white and red liquids and Jacobs Creek producing the cheap wines to get English girls laid but the rest is pretty special. Plus we have the high altitude whites from Eden Valley.

For anyone coming up here, first stop off at the Tourist Info in Tanunda or the bookshop in Tanunda and get a copy of the Barossa Traveller. Its 5 - 6 years old and so bits may be a bit outdated but it lists all the Barossa and Eden Valley wineries large to small. Ignore Penfolds, JC and W Blass (size is no guide to quality) and head for Taste Eden Valley and Smallfry in Angaston, Artisans in Vine Vale, and Torbreck and Chateau Tanunda in Tanunda.

I know nothing about wines but Hardy's have the Tintara winery in the vale and Hardy's is pretty iconic right? Gemtree wines may not be iconic but do really tasty food platters and the view is great. Magpie Spings have a funky climbing wall for kiddies which we've made use of a couple of times. I am sure we'll get to see more winies around the vale but I would like to explore more north of Adelaide as well - could quite happily live in the Barossa or Clare to be honest.

I don't like Wolf Blass winery at all! Found it very snooty - mind you, that probably wasn't helped by my father-in-law suggesting to the very hoity-toity woman serving us that she should smell his fingers and guess what he'd been doing ... he'd been gutting a snapper that morning! :err:

Props to the father in law :biglaugh:

I know nothing about wines but Hardy's have the Tintara winery in the vale and Hardy's is pretty iconic right? Gemtree wines may not be iconic but do really tasty food platters and the view is great. Magpie Spings have a funky climbing wall for kiddies which we've made use of a couple of times. I am sure we'll get to see more winies around the vale but I would like to explore more north of Adelaide as well - could quite happily live in the Barossa or Clare to be honest.

Yep, I think Hardy's is up there with Jacobs Creek and Wolf Blass.

And let's not forget Penfolds at Barossa Valley.....they make a great Shiraz....my cousin bought two bottles to mature at about $120 per bottle.....but he couldn't wait and drank them. His wife wasn't happy.

There's Penfolds at Magill as well. Never been in but driven past it a lot. Does having a winery make Magill a wine region as well?

I went on a fantastic tour of the Magill Penfold Winery - at the end they did tastings and don't think I've ever been offered so many options!

We were over that way the other week and hubby said about the winery there and how good it was.

I do like Penfolds, have to say.