Malaysian Airlines drop to 4 days a week from Adelaide

Hi all

Just a quick update that Malaysian Airlines have released a statement today to say they are dropping the double daily flights from Adelaide and are now only flying 4 days a week

Such a shame as they are a very good airline with great service but in light of events over the last 18 months it is not surprising

They have dropped the following flights

"Adelaide will be trimmed back to four flights a week with the cancellation of MH136 to Kuala Lumpur on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays from August 10 and MH139 home to Adelaide on Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays from August 9"

If you are affected by the changes I would say jump online or speak to your travel agent to re confirm your alternative as there are going to be more people that need to change than there are seats available so could be a little chaotic

If your layover ends up being more than 8 hours they will be offering a hotel at KL and if it is between 3-6 hours there is talk of them offering lounge passes but this bit is not confirmed as I think it depends on where/how you booked or the type of fare you have

Cheers

hello

if you haven't heard anything from Malaysian yet I would go online to the "manage my booking" section and see if they have got any notifications in the booking or any suggestions for what they are swapping you to. if not then you can either wait for them to email you as they will eventually get to you in the system or you can ring them and they will switch you to the next available option. you are probably looking at longer layovers but Malaysian did confirm before I left work today that they are doing hotels for anyone over a 6 hour wait and lounge passes for 3-6 hours but you have to ask for it!!

if you need any specific help then feel free to pm me

cheers

I have flown on Malaysian airlines a couple of times and everything was great.

I recently booked a couple of flights and used the online search engines for the best price. I was surprised that the Malaysian airlines prices were not the cheapest. I am traveling from Adelaide to Cape Town then to Manchester and then returning to Adelaide. On all the legs other airlines came out cheaper (Singapore airlines on two of the flights).

In view of the two incidents I would have expected cheaper fares from Malaysian airlines.

I agree in some respects but I also think that nothing instils a little worry like a bargain cheap fare and the general consensus seems to be that by discounting there fares to a bargain basement price it almost acknowledges that you fly with them at your own risk and that there is a problem somewhere

i went to one of there training updates not long ago and rhe business plan seems to be reduce the number of flights but maintain the normal practices they have always had of service, stability and being on time and to be in line with the likes of Singapore and Emirates as their competitors rather than being compared to an air Asia or Jetstar which you invariably get if you reduce the pricing to compete with them

hopefull they can slowly build the brand back up and we will back back to daily flights in 5 or so years but I think it's a tough road ahead for them

Really really, people are still flying with Malaysian, you do realise it's only a question of time before one of their pilots stops to ask an ISIS death squad for directions don't you. Bad things usually come in 3's. Rather you than me, happy journeys:unsure:

well not exactly helpful or realistic but thank you for your opinion anyway.......

at the end of the day it's still safer to fly than ride a bus or drive a car and they still offer an option out of adelaide unlike some of the other airlines who forget little old us.

i completely understand people's apprehension on flying with them and the stigma will be with them for a while but only if people keep acting like you are not going to come back if you fly with them. here I am safe and sound and I wish them all the best after the things they have faced and still kept staff in jobs

regardless it seems they have been very good with these changes and are offering free Qantas connections to melbourne to free up some seats so fingers crossed everyone is re booked successfully

Really really, people are still flying with Malaysian, you do realise it's only a question of time before one of their pilots stops to ask an ISIS death squad for directions don't you. Bad things usually come in 3's. Rather you than me, happy journeys:unsure:

Some 5 minutes or so earlier it could have been a Singapore plane shot out of the sky, nothing to do with pilot or airline, then you have the German pilot he did not need call up ISIS did he?

I flew with Malaysia last month 3 of the 4 legs were just about full, flights and service was fine as it was on my last trip with them some 18 months previous, so glad that not everybody thinks like you though it does show your mentality when saying " bad things usually comes in 3's" bit dumb really.

By the way I am not superstitious.............it's unlucky

Flew with Malaysia to Thailand in February after Air Asia had really messed us about. On the way out it was great - fantastic service. On the way back however it was a nighttime flight and the service was nearly non-existent. One of the other passengers in our row went to investigate and all the cabin crew were asleep in the crew area, with a blanket pegged up to hide the fact from the passengers! Wish someone paid me to sleep while I was supposed to be working!!!

Just read this and we are booked with Malaysia, flight was leaving 24th December and arriving in London 5.30am Xmas day in time for pressies around the tea and big Xmas dinner, was so excited! BUT that flight as of today no longer exists and we have been put on a later flight, hence missing Xmas day and arriving late Boxing Day! Not happy, we were only going for 13 days as it was, so that way is even less time! A refund I asked? Yes they replied but can take 3 months to process so we are now $6000 short to re book with someone else until the refund is processed! So peeeeeed off!

sorry to hear that and such a shame. at the risk of going through what you have already thought of can you go on the 22nd when there is a flight? I would say 2 days unpaid leave from work is cheaper than rebooking another airline at a higher cost. Alternatively Malaysian have a flight leaving melbourne at 3:30 ish on the 24th which connects onto the same flight into London as you were on before and they will pay for the Qantas connection to melbourne. I think going via the eastern states is better than trying to rebook another airline now as it will be alot to more expensive

let me know if you need assistance

• Like 1

Just read this and we are booked with Malaysia, flight was leaving 24th December and arriving in London 5.30am Xmas day in time for pressies around the tea and big Xmas dinner, was so excited! BUT that flight as of today no longer exists and we have been put on a later flight, hence missing Xmas day and arriving late Boxing Day! Not happy, we were only going for 13 days as it was, so that way is even less time! A refund I asked? Yes they replied but can take 3 months to process so we are now $6000 short to re book with someone else until the refund is processed! So peeeeeed off!

Sorry it worked out so badly for you, but I must say it is always a risk when planning things so finitely, which I know we have to do sometimes. Heathrow at that time of year could be closed due to weather conditions, also it is not unusual for flights (whichever airline) to be delayed. We were once delayed at Heathrow with plane problem with Singapore, missed our onward flight and thus arrived Aus the next day. Also when the SARS episode was on we were bumped and changed allover the place on all legs, but the airline did give us a range of flight options so we could choose our best options. Good luck and please take up the offer by OKMorris I am sure you will be in good hands with her.

Thanks Morris

we have decided to go down the refund road, we did look at flying to Melbourne and getting a flight from there, but I would stress on the day that the internal flight would be cancelled or delayed and we would miss the Malaysian flight. we then figured like you said it would be cheaper to go 22nd and husband to loose 2 days pay, but then having made that decision we have been told by 3 individual people that Malaysian airlines are technically bankrupt and it is only their government that is holding them up. so rather than rebook with them and then maybe having to go through this all again before December we have decided to cancel and get refund. I have managed to find a flight with Singapore that is $600 more than what we paid with Malaysia and my lovely dad is going to foot the difference. hopefully the refund will be through asap!!

thanks for all the advice and suggestions, had you not put this on here I would still be none the wiser as although they said I should have received an email I still haven't!

Sarah

Thanks Morris

we have decided to go down the refund road, we did look at flying to Melbourne and getting a flight from there, but I would stress on the day that the internal flight would be cancelled or delayed and we would miss the Malaysian flight. we then figured like you said it would be cheaper to go 22nd and husband to loose 2 days pay, but then having made that decision we have been told by 3 individual people that Malaysian airlines are technically bankrupt and it is only their government that is holding them up. so rather than rebook with them and then maybe having to go through this all again before December we have decided to cancel and get refund. I have managed to find a flight with Singapore that is $600 more than what we paid with Malaysia and my lovely dad is going to foot the difference. hopefully the refund will be through asap!!

thanks for all the advice and suggestions, had you not put this on here I would still be none the wiser as although they said I should have received an email I still haven't!

Sarah

They have been 'technically' bankrupt for quite a while, and other airlines have also run at a loss, Virgin and Qantas in recent years, but Malaysian is basically state owned and as such would be more unlikely to be declared bankrupt than say Virgin or Qantas. But your fear of them of going bankrupt and not getting your flights should still apply for getting your money back.

Our last two trips to UK were with Malaysian, with the last in the full knowledge of recent events and their financial situation, and we would have in fear in flying with them again.

Sincerely hope everything works out well, have a safe and happy holiday.