4 months in.....

samandcraig

Hi guys, so me and my family have been in Adelaide four months now and I just wanted to share our journey so far. We have been lucky and my husband found a carpenter job within two weeks. This is at a low wage but it's with a company and we are on a 489 visa so we see it an advantage as he has a permanent contract so should hopefully get the first 12 months in secure work. We do have to subsidise if we are out and about at the weekend, but we have got a reasonably expensive rental, so if we had chosen a cheaper rental we would be fine.

I worked in retail back home and have applied for quite a few jobs without any luck, but I haven't really pushed myself to be honest as I've been making sure the kids are settling in. Which they seem to be. Schooling is different here, the teachers don't seem to be as loving as they are back in the UK if that makes sense? My 5 year old daughter is very independent and confident so she is doing amazingly well, my son on the other hand has struggled (he's 12) he's a lot quieter and was shy even back in the UK. He does seem to be getting there and has started to meet new friends and is actually enjoying school now.

I sometimes question that I have made the right decision bringing my family to the other side of the world, but I look around at a beautiful place with so many amazing things to do and the doubt never stays for too long!! My son is going to be doing guitar lessons, and art classes, he does swimming lessons on a Wednesday, he had surfing lessons also. My daughter does Irish dancing, swimming lessons and plays soccer!

Building confidence and gaining independence seems to be a big thing here in the school my children go to and I think those are two of the greatest things to help you along in life!!

We do have friends who are still struggling to find employment and it is hard to see don't get me wrong. Please just do all the research you can as not all jobs are as easy to pick up! And it definetly isn't an easy ride, hold on for your life on the rollercoaster of emotions you go through!! but we seem to be getting there :)

Overall we we feel that Adelaide is a beautiful city and has a lot to offer. I suppose it depends what you want from life. This is only my experience and thoughts xx

Edited by samandcraig

Thank you for sharing this balanced report of your first few months here.

It's not easy on the employment front and plenty of fear will have been spread by a couple of doom and gloom merchants.

It is a wonderful part of the world that we live in and I am pleased that your experiences are largely good ones. All the best for the future...another few weeks and the weather will change for the better!:smile:

Thank you for sharing this balanced report of your first few months here.

It's not easy on the employment front and plenty of fear will have been spread by a couple of doom and gloom merchants.

It is a wonderful part of the world that we live in and I am pleased that your experiences are largely good ones. All the best for the future...another few weeks and the weather will change for the better!:smile:

Thank you Tamara, hard times for a lot of people....only hoping that's things get better xx

Hey Guys, so it's been a bit of a mixed bag for you all thus far. Sounds as if your getting well and truly stuck in though. In the early days it's probably better to deal with each day and issue as they arise, and try not to do too much reflection as you've really only just arrived. If you have a roof over your heads, food on the table and the wolf isn't banging on the door just yet, your cracking it. If your only 4 months in, you haven't seen the best of the weather yet, totally different place as we go into spring/summer.

Sounds like you're doing well!

I particularly like the way you balance your comments. You know, your husband's been lucky with work, but you know some haven't. Going out is a bit of a drain on finances, but then you chose a more expensive home...etc

Thank you for your update. :smile:

:wubclub: LC

@samandcraig as you know we arrived only a 2 weeks after you guys, similar story for us. I think having a positive attitude will help us all during the first few months of our transition. Im gradually making contacts, which hopefully will lead to employment soon. Hang in there!

My fingers are crossed for you....I hope you get something soon :smile:

positive thinking is definetly the key xx

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you are getting on. As others have mentioned I think your post offers a balanced view.

After reading yours and the other 2 'update' reports from RachaelOs and Kerriandcarl, it appears you have all had no trouble finding carpentry work and is good news for others in the same line of work to read.