887 Visa - What's the update?

sunnyside

4 hours ago, Prab Singh said:

Thnx for the reply .. I think its the wait is killing me and its causing more worry as thr department is picking files from every where ... that is more painful 😞

don worry, u"ll be fine as they are finalizing files before 21 dec-19 as of now rather than running forward... u will get urs..stay positive

8 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Hi, I just want to correct your advice. The functional English must be conducted within 12 months prior to lodge the 887 visa regardless of the test validity. 

Also, it's not 2 years full-time study, just one year is enough for functional English prove.

Thanks for correcting me 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanna said:

Thanks wng for your hard work and initiative in this matter. I can probably speak for everyone by saying we appreciate it.

I understand many people are excluded and long term visas such as 489 should be included in PR category in the first place. But say for the sake of argument, if we go by their rules, once we become PR we have the same rights as other PRs. You would not include 1.1 million but only a couple of thousand that got PR as of March 2020. I find this an unnecessary discrimination that doesn’t hold significant implications to the Australian rules or budgets. I am getting an impression that 489 is the worse visa. First of, we are stimulating and promoting growth in Australian regional areas, we go through pain of paying lots of money to settle without enjoying any benefits for years. We go through thorough checks (police, health, language) during 489 yet somehow they manage to delay the process of 887 for 2 years and exclude us from all the benefits possible. I am angry because this should be a routine visa not a visa treating us as unwanted garbage. Then they should stop regional sponsorships all together! Pfffff!

Sorry I am not directing this anger at anybody in particular, but this whole 887 visa system is just bonkers!

Wng, in your experience and honest opinion do you think we can do anything to change it?

Hi @Hanna, there is still a chance to discuss about this. Both Shadow Treasurer Mr. Jim Charlmers & Senator Kristina Keneally who is both the Shadow Minister for Home Affairs & Shadow Minister for Immigration and Citizenship would be willing to listen. In the words of Senator Keneally, "If you have a story that you think Minister Ruston or the Treasurer should hear, I want to hear from you."

It is an ongoing battle and it won't be the end in all honesty. My case alone is not the largest voice but worth a try especially with Senator Keneally.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Hi, I just want to correct your advice. The functional English must be conducted within 12 months prior to lodge the 887 visa regardless of the test validity. 

Also, it's not 2 years full-time study, just one year is enough for functional English prove.

I didn't study in Australia but i studied in  London(United kingdom) . I did my Chartered Accountancy there . Will this provide proof of Functional English as England is an English speaking country  ? Furthermore, I applied 887 visa in January 2020 so only my husband  sat for the English test( as he is a dependent/ secondary applicant )  but i haven't got any English test within the last 3 years. What would you suggest me to do ?

3 minutes ago, STUTI said:

I didn't study in Australia but i studied in  London(United kingdom) . I did my Chartered Accountancy there . Will this provide proof of Functional English as England is an English speaking country  ? Furthermore, I applied 887 visa in January 2020 so only my husband  sat for the English test( as he is a dependent/ secondary applicant )  but i haven't got any English test within the last 3 years. What would you suggest me to do ?

If you can get a letter from your university that states your course in UK was in English, the CO will accept that. I know it sounds idiotic to even think UK teaches in anything else except English but these co will look for any excuse to reject or delay your visa. Just give them the University letter. 

Hi, just wondering where is this information provided? Anywhere on the official websites? Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, wng said:

Hi @Hanna, there is still a chance to discuss about this. Both Shadow Treasurer Mr. Jim Charlmers & Senator Kristina Keneally who is both the Shadow Minister for Home Affairs & Shadow Minister for Immigration and Citizenship would be willing to listen. In the words of Senator Keneally, "If you have a story that you think Minister Ruston or the Treasurer should hear, I want to hear from you."

It is an ongoing battle and it won't be the end in all honesty. My case alone is not the largest voice but worth a try especially with Senator Keneally.

Where do we need to send the story? Any email address?

On 7/2/2020 at 4:20 PM, Chen said:

GRANT GRANT GRANT

Applied 03/04/2019
Request for response to NJL s.57: 22/05/2020 (CO Lisa)
Grant date: 02/07/2020 (CO Rajani)
Family of 2

Long time lurker here. My partner and I made sure to update all our police certs and other documents (English) prior to our 1 year mark. However, the application faced some delays due to my very frequent work travels offshore. Writing my experience so that if anyone is in the same circumstances, this can be of help to them. 

Received NJL s.57 on 22/05/2020 with the comments being I was not on shore for quite a number of days. I then responded on 18/06/2020 in response to this with the help of my migration agent. 

I traveled approximately 1XX days overseas largely due to work travel to a country where I had no personal relation to. I also traveled domestically from city to city within this country. Despite stating clearly in my Form 80 and uploading my employer contract which stated that I could be required to travel for work, it wasn't enough causing the CO to question me.

What I should have done before receiving the NJL and pre-empted was to get a letter from my employer summarising my reason for travel, the dates I traveled, and the cities that I went to and uploaded all the other documents such as my work expense claims (air tickets and hotel receipts), work emails, payslips showing I received no A/L on days I was away for work, highlighted on my bank statement all the times that I received my salary and paid rent/utilities. We built our case around how Australia was my only residence and the travels overseas were strictly for work. 

If you travelled for work (might not apply in 2020 due to COVID-19), please collect as much evidence as you can and collate everything in a document (make it as clear as possible) so your CO won't have any questions when they pick up your application.

Very grateful that we got our PR finally, it has been a roller coaster ride for us.
Again thanks to all on here as we have a really supportive group of people that really helped to encourage and fought hard to expedite the process for everyone. 🙂

Hello Chen,

I am in the same situation. I have received s57 and travel overseas for 1xx days for work purpose. Can you please pm your number?

Edited by Sachin

46 minutes ago, visavisa said:

please can you advise me how did you submit your polio certificate? I left Pakistan 5 years ago 

sorry visavisa, I forwarded this photo from Facebook.

I did not attached polio certificate for 887 application.

hope someone who did could help you.

On 7/3/2020 at 2:33 PM, Hanna said:

Hi, just wondering where is this information provided? Anywhere on the official websites? Thanks in advance.

Hi, please refer to the migration act or immi website, it's clearly written about all the details I wrote. 

Edited by Kevin

On 7/3/2020 at 2:25 PM, STUTI said:

According to the immi website or migration Act, the functional English is replaced so long as you completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate in an institution in or outside Australia that required at least two years of full-time study and all instructions were in English ' 

So, If you studied more than 2 years in UK, it is more than enough to meet the functional English requirement. Cheers 

Thanks Kevin....i definitely studied more than 2 yrs

44 minutes ago, Kevin said:

According to the immi website or migration Act, the functional English is replaced so long as you completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate in an institution in or outside Australia that required at least two years of full-time study and all instructions were in English ' 

So, If you studied more than 2 years in UK, it is more than enough to meet the functional English requirement. Cheers 

• Like 1

Hi, please refer to the migration act or immi website, it's clearly written about all the details I wrote. 

Actually I found out that it’s only for people who are proving Functional English which is IELTS 4.5 but if your level is superior or other high level English then you can take it 3 years prior 887 lodgement

1 hour ago, Hanna said:

Actually I found out that it’s only for people who are proving Functional English which is IELTS 4.5 but if your level is superior or other high level English then you can take it 3 years prior 887 lodgement

No.. you still misunderstand about the legislation. No matter what score you get, it's not important. In order to prove the functional English, your English test must be conducted within 12 months before lodging the 887 visa. I will give you the more explanation if you provide me the link you get the information source. 

Please remember 887 visa requires 'functional English', not the other type of English requirement. 

Please refer to the below link. 

1) Migration act https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2014L01668

2) Immi website https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/meeting-our-requirements/english-language/functional-english

It's clearly representing that your English test must be conducted within 12 months.

Don't just read the information about the superior or any other English requirement as it is not relevant to the 887 visa. 

To make it clear, I will give you the example.

If you get 9.0 on IELTS over 1 year before you lodge the 887 visa, you need to take the test again unless you have any alternatives to prove functional English.

If you get 4.5 on IELTS within 1 year before you lodge the 887 visa, you can use this test result as the functional English prove. 

Wish it helps you to understand about the functional English properly 😄

Edited by Kevin

No.. you still misunderstand about the legislation. No matter what score you get, it's not important. In order to prove the functional English, your English test must be conducted within 12 months before lodging the 887 visa. I will give you the more explanation if you provide me the link you get the information source. 
Please remember 887 visa requires 'functional English', not the other type of English requirement. 
Please refer to the below link. 
1) Migration act https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2014L01668
2) Immi website https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/meeting-our-requirements/english-language/functional-english
It's clearly representing that your English test must be conducted within 12 months.
Don't just read the information about the superior or any other English requirement as it is not relevant to the 887 visa. 
To make it clear, I will give you the example.
If you get 9.0 on IELTS over 1 year before you lodge the 887 visa, you need to take the test again unless you have any alternatives to prove functional English.
If you get 4.5 on IELTS within 1 year before you lodge the 887 visa, you can use this test result as the functional English prove. 

Wish it helps you to understand about the functional English properly [emoji1]

I get what you’re saying, but if you go on the same page and click on the level you can see that all levels above are 3 years valid. You need to prove MINIMUM functional English (the website clearly states “AT LEAST functional English” and if you click further it sends you to the “English Language” page with all levels (instead of directly to functional). It is misleading, but in practice it would be a bit silly that a person with Superior English and living and working in Australia for 2+ years needs to provide a proof of Functional English although having passed a higher skill test before.

7 hours ago, Hanna said:

I get what you’re saying, but if you go on the same page and click on the level you can see that all levels above are 3 years valid. You need to prove MINIMUM functional English (the website clearly states “AT LEAST functional English” and if you click further it sends you to the “English Language” page with all levels (instead of directly to functional). It is misleading, but in practice it would be a bit silly that a person with Superior English and living and working in Australia for 2+ years needs to provide a proof of Functional English although having passed a higher skill test before.

There are lots of information which may mislead innocent people to make a mistake and it eventually causes unexpected delay on their visa processing time. 

Anyway, I can see some recent postings people submit the letter from their employer they have more than functional English (Not sure if it’s relevant or not) 

You can probably seek help from these people about the letter formula in case you don’t have relevant study certificate nor want to sit on the exam again. 

Good luck 

• Like 1