Guest Emu

Shipping insurance, is it worthed? Anybody made a claim?

Guest Emu

Hello there, We now have everything in storage while we wait for our visa and I need to do the shipping insurance. Anybody had any experience of it? Have you made a claim before?

Most of the time I feel that insurance is a waste of time as it never seems to cover what is really necessary.

When filling in the insurance form it asks in detail the total contents by item. If I was to insure 100 cd's for example, but i owned 150, if 50 go missing could I claim for it or would they tell me that I still have 100 left that are fine? Because we already have the stuff in storage and we didn't count it we only have aproximate numbers.

Any feedback would be welcome.

Guest Tina P

Hi,

We did not get the shipping insurance and everything arrived ok, no damages at all.

We shipped with Pickfords - shared container.

Thanks

Tina

Guest Vicks&Stu

Hi

We came over from Norwich and used a local company called Greens.

We did shared container and it took 13 weeks! Everything arrived a few days ago.

Mostly it was ok - a few breakages of glasses and plates. We did get the insurance and are just debating whether or not to put a claim in, I guess it will come down to whether we can be bothered with the paperwork!!

In terms of insurance we guestimated the number of CDs and DVDs but made sure are more expensive items would be covered like TV, Wii, furniture etc

I think we just wanted the peace of mind that if something terrible happened like the ship sunk then we would at least get the money to buy new stuff again!

Not sure if that helps - but good luck with whatever you decide!

Vicks&Stu

When we came out to Australia, admittedly it was a passenger ship, but a lotof people had a lot of hold baggage and while the ship sailed between Sydney and NZ sewage leaked into the hold and everyones hold baggage had to be destroyed. You never know what might happen on the seas so I would get insurance.

Guest Devon
    Hi

I think we just wanted the peace of mind that if something terrible happened like the ship sunk then we would at least get the money to buy new stuff again!

It's one of those decisions that only you can make. We didn't take out insurance and were lucky but then as Vicks and Stu have said this can happen. I remember my mum telling me about the Napoli in Sidmouth, Devon. Over 2000 containers went out to sea and tore apart - you may have seen on the news the looting that went on - it even made the news out here in OZ :unsure:

Guest Jo&Phil

Definitely worth it!

I had to make a claim and it was sorted very quickly but...... make sure you don't underestimate the value of goods .... if you have to replace something purchased while on holiday in Spain with an appropriate alternative it won't be as cheap as your bargain from holiday.

I only shipped 12 boxes and a set of skis (!) and had some things broken (mainly as I'm useless at packing) and in the end my claim practically paid for the shipping so it was very well worth it.

Guest Emu

Thanks guys, I decided to do it in the end! Better be safe then sorry.

I do remember when all those containers washed up in the South coast ...

We did pay less on the shipping then we initially thought, as we throwed away a lot of stuff, so I guess we used that money for the insurance.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

We insured a few bits and bobs. The guys dropped the wardrobe as it left the house onto the step, we knew it was broken before it had left sunny Newhaven:biglaugh:, we just claimed it wen we got here, got the money no probs.

We dont need the wardrobes but they make good shelves in the shed:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest Carl Hallam

hi saw your post and we are just shipping same stuff as you did by the looks of it , tools, wii, photo's, xbox etc about £3000, worth in 10 boxes , may i ask who you used how much etc as we are leaning towards pss aat the moment but realy dont have a clue, we live on the isle of wight and aremoving 18 aug to gawler ( north of adelaide) and they quoted us £390 just to getour boxes to london depot. and around 790 for shipping and 150 insurance 10 boxes 60x60x60cm @max 30kg each. hope you can help and aredoing well yourselves, Carl, Adelaide,Allana,Olivia

We estimated the value of our shipment at around £8k. We were quoted 2.8% premium with PSS - worked out around £280. We took out our own insurance with Letton Percival and it cost £140.