Going back .. should we do it?

Guest thebaddeleys

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guzzler&Sas

well good on you for making such a swift decision .... have PMed you. This just proves that these forums are a great way to air your views, get perspective, take other peoples views on board and give it a fair go .... fair dinkum! That's way Oz is all about!

All the best

Sas

xxx

Guest Martin and Val
For my family... well we have decided that we have to give it our best shot for at least one year. We have to try to make this work because if we don't try then what was the point of coming here if we are just going to run back home.

Good luck and hope that it all works out fine which I'm sure it will.

This has been one hell of a read, I need to go and lay down after all this.

Before I do I will add:

We haven't been here long, it's not easy, you do spend, spend, spend. Although we must be shopping in all the wrong places as we honestly find it isn't that expensive, yeah somethings are a little more but on the whole things are cheaper. Clothes we have bought are as good as the UK and so far cheaper!

Its a great place with great people.

Val has a job I don't, and yes I do need one, any offers?

We love it and will finish by saying that although we haven't been here long we are not trying to convince ourselves or anyboby else.

If anybody on here has a service that can be of use by other members and it's legal and allowed by the forum rules then plug it, such as a fantastic hairdresser called Laura...(not of any use to me I will add)

All the best and happy 2009

Martin

Guest Django
For my family... well we have decided that we have to give it our best shot for at least one year. We have to try to make this work because if we don't try then what was the point of coming here if we are just going to run back home.

:notworthy: I applaud your decission. I didn't want to say much on this thread as I fall into the 'love it here' club and I didn't want to seem to try to convince you to stay. At the end of the day you have to do what is best for you and your family. I sooooo hope things work out for you. If you need any help with anything shout. They is always someone on here willing to assist.

Let shope 2009 is a good year in the Baddeley household.

Pete

Guest thebaddeleys
:notworthy: I applaud your decission. I didn't want to say much on this thread as I fall into the 'love it here' club and I didn't want to seem to try to convince you to stay. At the end of the day you have to do what is best for you and your family. I sooooo hope things work out for you. If you need any help with anything shout. They is always someone on here willing to assist.

Let shope 2009 is a good year in the Baddeley household.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I too hope that 2009 brings alot of happiness in the Baddeley household, i'm crossing my fingers!!!!

I wish everyone luck & happiness this year x :)

Guest Guest75
:notworthy:Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say a big "Thankyou" to you all for all your opinions and advice.

It is comforting to know that there are people out here that feel the same and its also nice to hear how things can turn around and you can settle here in time if you give it your best shot!

It seems that we all have had our own unique experiences coming over here, and for most these experiences have only made you stronger, which can only be a good thing.

For my family... well we have decided that we have to give it our best shot for at least one year. We have to try to make this work because if we don't try then what was the point of coming here if we are just going to run back home. I feel its a comfort thing, we are out of our comfort zone and right now were not sure if we like it so the easiest option is to go back to your comfort zone. But the easiest option isn't always the right option!

For me personally... I have decided I need to make more of an effort to make more friends and take my children to a playgroup, I came here for my children to give them a better way of life, so if I can keep them happy here then i'm half way there.

For my Husband.... He is frustrated with his job, he's going backwards to go forwards, but he now has a plan to go for a promotion in a years time and if that comes off then the financial side of things will be less of a concern.

I guess time will tell, we will do our best and let fate do the rest!

Thanks again Everyone x

Kerry, Chris, Tom & Chloe

P.s. If anyone needs a mobile phone contract or broadband them PM me because my husband works for the mobile network Three (3) and will get you a great deal! x

Onya Baddleys!!!!!

Very best wishes to you.

Ta for the tip on your hubbies work :)

Guest swampo

We also arrived at the beginning of October. My OH fortunately had a job to go to but me, a former teacher, did not. I have enjoyed my months of freedom from work whilst we have got ourselves sorted a bit, and yes, you do seem to bleed money quite badly in the first few months. I find that general shopping is comparable to the UK (bit cheaper and much better quality in most cases) but anything to do with motoring is flaming expensive, but as someone else said on this thread, that's what it is here and that's what you have to deal with - IT IS NOT THE UK.

Folk here are much friendlier and have time to pass the time of day with you. Work is hard to find, especially with the world recession affecting us all. We have taken a huge cut to move out here but were under no illusions that it would be the land of milk and honey, just different and a huge adventure. The icing on the cake for us would be for me to find work as we are just managing on my OH's wages.

Diane was right, it suits some people and not others, only you know that yourself no matter how many folk say 'oh you should give it two years at least' two years is impossible if you don't have any money to live on.

I wish you all the best with your final decision, it can't be an easy one. There by the grace of God go I !!

Guest Lulujim

Yey! I think you're making the right decision - if at the end of the year you decide it's not for you then at least you know you've given it your best shot. :notworthy: In that time I'm sure you'll have settled, it's so hard as I have been in your situation and just wanted to fast-forward to that bit as I knew it would be ok - but just a pain getting there.

If you ever need a gentle reminder just how crap the UK is at the mo just send me a PM as i'll be here til May and can oblige on that one!

Alexis x

Guest njacinthebox

Good news you made your decision, its never easy. I hope things work out for you and your family

:- ) My hubby got an interview Friday so we are keeping our fingers crossed, this will be the main turning point for us if he can secure work.

Good Luck !

Guest gilmoresoz

Sorry that you are feeling like going back to the UK so early. We arrived here on 3rd Sept 08 and it has not always been easy for us. About 2 months into being over here my husband hit a really black time. He had been a successful manager of a hairdressers in the UK and felt that things were not going that well over here and he was ready to leave and go back to the UK. However, we are now 4 months in and my husband is feeling much better and feels that he has turned a corner and we have decided that we are staying. I agree with what other people have said about giving it 1-2 years ideally, as it can take this long to settle down.

All our relatives in the UK are saying that we have done the right thing coming to Oz and that there is nothing over there for us anymore.

I would think very carefully about your future plans and what Oz can offer you & your children in the long term.

If you are still set on going back, I would suggest that one of you (cost wise) make the trip to see what things are like in the UK now, before making the final decision because people keep telling us not to go back.

Not sure if both of you are working but it can take some time to find work unfortunately. Work does come in time but all I can suggest is keep trying.

Keep your chin up - it is not as easy as it is sometimes made out to be.

Darren and Fiona

good on you for giving it your best shot!

i didn't feel that i was to add to this thread since i am still in the uk and haven't experienced what you are going through right now ..... yet ;)

we are stuck here in the uk with a house we can't sell.

we had to go on a (costly) validation trip and we can't wait to go back for good.

but what i wanted to add is the great network on here!!!

so many people have helped us already and taken us under their wings on our trip.

if you need help - you ask - and i know there will be someone able to help you.

do get out. do talk to people. i guess in the beginning you feel rather isolated and that doesn't help.

i wish you all the best and hopefully we'll meet up in oz once we are out ;)

Thats fantastic news and really really hope this is meant to be for you and your family.

I spent an hour reading this thread last night but felt I couldnt comment as I'm not there yet. Its hard to imagine feeling like that when you are still in the UK desperate to get there but reading this thread prepares us for what might happen.

Good luck with everything

PS, Fiesty bit of beef that Jacqui has with some folk!

Moving house is stressful at the best of times. Changing jobs can be stressful. Moving your whole life to the other side of the world is a mammoth task and very stressful, especially if you are out of your comfort zone and don't have your usual network of friends and family around you. Looking after kids all day without babysitting help is hard work (I've never had that kind of help and envy people who do). With everything around you foreign and new it's going to take a while for the dust to settle and for things to work themselves out. It isn't going to happen overnight. I can remember waking up in Adelaide and thinking 'what the hell am I doing here?' - at times it felt like I was on another planet and some days I just craved the familiarity of home. I used to live right on the beach at Glenelg and you are right, the novelty does wear off. But considering that your life is in a state of upheaval at the moment, you might as well be in a state of upheaval on the beach! (It was -4 degrees here at 11 am).

Don't worry about your kids - if they are not at school yet there's plenty of time to change your mind. Children seem to be coming and going at my kids school all the time and they all seem to settle in and make friends OK. If you still don't like it in a years time then come back. I did. Nothing is forever.

Just relax and take it easy and take time to settle in. Enjoy the summer and then work out your next set of goals. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Guest thebaddeleys
Moving house is stressful at the best of times. Changing jobs can be stressful. Moving your whole life to the other side of the world is a mammoth task and very stressful, especially if you are out of your comfort zone and don't have your usual network of friends and family around you. Looking after kids all day without babysitting help is hard work (I've never had that kind of help and envy people who do). With everything around you foreign and new it's going to take a while for the dust to settle and for things to work themselves out. It isn't going to happen overnight. I can remember waking up in Adelaide and thinking 'what the hell am I doing here?' - at times it felt like I was on another planet and some days I just craved the familiarity of home. I used to live right on the beach at Glenelg and you are right, the novelty does wear off. But considering that your life is in a state of upheaval at the moment, you might as well be in a state of upheaval on the beach! (It was -4 degrees here at 11 am).

Don't worry about your kids - if they are not at school yet there's plenty of time to change your mind. Children seem to be coming and going at my kids school all the time and they all seem to settle in and make friends OK. If you still don't like it in a years time then come back. I did. Nothing is forever.

Just relax and take it easy and take time to settle in. Enjoy the summer and then work out your next set of goals. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Hi,

Can I ask you why you moved back to the UK? and why you are considering coming back?

Kerry x

Guest redfoxy
Hi,

Can I ask you why you moved back to the UK? and why you are considering coming back?

Kerry x

The Uk is in major recession and full of people taking from DSS and NHS without paying in !! and the fact that you cant fly the union jack and that chrsitmas decorations offend certian british ethinic majorities !! THATS WHY !! Great Britian could have been great but no longer is..besides the weather..but hey family and friends they are still there and we have to learn to miss them !!

Goo wishes !!;)

The Uk is in major recession and full of people taking from DSS and NHS without paying in !! and the fact that you cant fly the union jack and that chrsitmas decorations offend certian british ethinic majorities !! THATS WHY !! Great Britian could have been great but no longer is..besides the weather..but hey family and friends they are still there and we have to learn to miss them !!

Goo wishes !!;)

Anyone can post what they want, and the thread goes where it goes. But this is probably one of the best threads on here for a long time ,if not ever, so lets hope it doesnt go down the road that the above quote may take it. That story has been done many times before and will still come up and is one worth commenting on.............but maybe not on this thread;)

Guest graandjac
Jeez, its took me 25 mins to read through that lot

`WE` are relative newcomers and don`t post much on here as sometimes my opinion counts for nothing really as I`m new to this country and its ways

Someone summed it up well when they said `When you get off the airplane........ leave the UK and all its traits and ways behind` and those are wise words !

We came over on a PR visa and hardly any money, yes we get help from Centrelink, and rent assistance, I took a substantial drop in money coming here but have never regretted it one bit.

We have shopped for clothes at the charity shops , for myself , my wife and the kids, we sometimes don`t have two 5c coins to rub together and financially we do struggle.

But when I fetch my kids from school(State School I might add) and they tell me what they`ve been doing with such enthusiasm and joy, when they run around on the beach and they laugh and giggle, that is what the move is all about :)

We knew that setting up a new life wouldn`t be easy , we had no-one over here, no relatives or friends, but with alot of effort and adapting to the way things are over here, firstly my children are thriving, and my wife and I are loving it too.

Its hard for newcomers here, but it will make me enjoy it more when I have made it to where `WE` want to be ;)

I feel for those who are even contemplating going back to the UK, it is a toughie, but I can`t see us going back in the near future, and whatever you decide good luck .

:notworthy::notworthy:Took every word out of my mouth

Guest graandjac

Its a sad country that bans its own flag because it might offend the minority:arghh:.........and the Great British intitution being the red Arrows have been banned from flying at London Olympics.......Bl**dy Bu******

Guest honey57

I hate to say it, but you have hardly given it a chance. 3 month in a new country is always going to be expensive, but i am sure as you settle in, life will become more predictable and you will be able to budget. There is more to life than money,although I appreciate you cannot live on fresh air, but maybe once the initial costs are met it will become easier.

Is it possible your greatest problem is homesickness? This is so easily dismissed, and we all put a brave face on, but it can be really miserable.

We currently live in a foreign country, away from the family and the initial 12 months for me was awful, I felt ill most of the time, but we decided to give it 18 month before making a decision. 31/2 yrs on we are still here (Bulgaria), and yes we are looking to move to Adelaide, even further away. Give it time, you do get to a point where you can manage it, and the time you do get to spend with the people you love, becomes very precious and more meaningful than if you saw them everyday.

Another upside is you will also get to meet another bunch of great people some of whom will become good friends.

I do hope you will not make any rash decisions that you may later regret. Good luck and best wishes to you all

Honey

Guest thebaddeleys
I hate to say it, but you have hardly given it a chance. 3 month in a new country is always going to be expensive, but i am sure as you settle in, life will become more predictable and you will be able to budget. There is more to life than money,although I appreciate you cannot live on fresh air, but maybe once the initial costs are met it will become easier.

Is it possible your greatest problem is homesickness? This is so easily dismissed, and we all put a brave face on, but it can be really miserable.

We currently live in a foreign country, away from the family and the initial 12 months for me was awful, I felt ill most of the time, but we decided to give it 18 month before making a decision. 31/2 yrs on we are still here (Bulgaria), and yes we are looking to move to Adelaide, even further away. Give it time, you do get to a point where you can manage it, and the time you do get to spend with the people you love, becomes very precious and more meaningful than if you saw them everyday.

Another upside is you will also get to meet another bunch of great people some of whom will become good friends.

I do hope you will not make any rash decisions that you may later regret. Good luck and best wishes to you all

Honey

Hi Honey,

I am aware that we have been here only a very short time, this is something we constantly forget as it feels like we have been here much longer!

Don't get me wrong, we aren't finding this experience "awful" and we don't strongly dislike Oz, its just we can now see all the good and the bad, as opposed to just seeing all the good, like the sunshine etc.

I think this is why the decision is even harder, it would be much easier if we hated Oz!

Kerry

Hi

I have been scanning PIA since October and I have never seen a thread this long. I am not in a position to comment about Oz as I am still in the UK but I do have family in South Africa. Loads of their friends went through the homesick feelings and returned to the UK for a while but ended up going back to South Africa. I believe quite a lot of them are back in the UK but only because of the safety aspect. I know this has no relevance to Oz but I just wanted to point out that a lot of people who return to the UK regret it within a few months.

The work situation in the UK is dire and I realise it will probably be the same all over the world, my oh is a self-employed bricklayer and has always been able to find work but he has had about about 10 weeks without work. I work for local government and they are talking about cutting loads of jobs - I know they do this every year but this year is definitely worse.

Michelle's post suggested someone post their bills - here goes for a 3 bedroomed semi & family of 4 (approx per month):

Gas - £85

Electric - £60

Water -£36

Car & Van Ins - £98

Phone - £20 /2 x Mobiles & Broadband £45

Community Charge - £133

TV lic - £12

Hse insurance - £29

Food - £400

Mortgage/Insurances etc - absolute fortune

Probably missed loads of bills out and apologies if someone has already posted this information. Would be interesting to know the same for SA.

Tracey