Going back .. should we do it?

Guest thebaddeleys

Guest Libby1971

Please read between the lines also on this site alot of people promoting the place have a vested interest as they are offering furnished rentals to people coming out here.

I gasped when I read this...

Yes some people who like Australia say so. And they have demonstrated that by wishing to help other newcomers by offering somewhere to stay. If I could turn back the clock, I would be booking a place with them rather than trying to make it alone, being oh so independent.

However, by far the most enthusiastic people telling you how fab Oz is are those people who have been here next to no time and I think they are trying to convince themselves.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, by far the most enthusiastic people telling you how fab Oz is are those people who have been here next to no time and I think they are trying to convince themselves.

Yes definatly and some of them think they know it all too. I have been here nearly three years and still know bugga all compared to what I knew in the UK!

Guest Guest75
Our daughter has taken it in her stride but all children are different, depends on the ages too and personalities etc.

She's 50/50 at the moment so we will be make the decision this year but having no work not looking like we will be staying at this point.

Please read between the lines also on this site alot of people promoting the place have a vested interest as they are offering furnished rentals to people coming out here.

The government also doing pretty well out of it, promoting it as wonderland full of sea, sun and 'work' . We all flock over they take everything they can and actually couldnt care less whether we stay or go once they lined their pockets with our money. Just my opinion, but I am entitled to one just as everyone else on this site has one.

Honestly is the best policy, best of all be honest with yourself then you will know what decision to make :-)

Jacqui

I am sorry but your comments are very cynical and unjustified - because you may not be happy with the place you feel you can blame others????

If I managed to get that promised beer from people I've helped with no expectation I'd never be sober - pah!!!:realmad::realmad:

Totally agree with Guzzler & Sas.

Yes definatly and some of them think they know it all too. I have been here nearly three years and still know bugga all compared to what I knew in the UK!

yes but in fairness, maybe its true, my other half loves it, even aside from the job issues hes had. I think everyone is entitled to an opinion, you dont have to have lived here for donkeys years to have an opinion about a place surely? Isnt that what an open forum is for? :D

Guest Nick11

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I gasped when I read this...

Yes some people who like Australia say so. And they have demonstrated that by wishing to help other newcomers by offering somewhere to stay. If I could turn back the clock, I would be booking a place with them rather than trying to make it alone, being oh so independent.

totally agree wished we have booked with someone from here with hindsight

Guest guest569

Glad to see your mellowing smit. I remember when you were fresh off the plane.;)

Back to the original question... i think your question can only be answered by yourself.What suits one person may not suit another. It sounds to me that you have pretty much made your mind up and i agree the best thing you can do is go and see it again for yourself .I have friends that have done this . They went back for a hol TWICE and then moved back to the UK. I'm glad to say that they soon realised the grass is the same colour green( except in the summer) on both sides of the world and have now moved back to Adelaide.

All just my opinion of course.:wubclub:

PS Its taken me three and a half years in the like it club and i am a week or two away from the love it brigade.

Guest Nick11
yes but in fairness, maybe its true, my other half loves it, even aside from the job issues hes had. I think everyone is entitled to an opinion, you dont have to have lived here for donkeys years to have an opinion about a place surely? Isnt that what an open forum is for? :D

I think what smit is trying to say is humility in everything.

I think?:notworthy:

Glad to see your mellowing smit. I remember when you were fresh off the plane.;)

Back to the original question... i think your question can only be answered by yourself.What suits one person may not suit another. It sounds to me that you have pretty much made your mind up and i agree the best thing you can do is go and see it again for yourself .I have friends that have done this . They went back for a hol TWICE and then moved back to the UK. I'm glad to say that they soon realised the grass is the same colour green( except in the summer) on both sides of the world and have now moved back to Adelaide.

All just my opinion of course.:wubclub:

PS Its taken me three and a half years in the like it club and i am a week or two away from the love it brigade.

I remember when you were fresh off the train.:jiggy:;)

Yep sure is, everyones entitled to an opinion,and everyones entitled to challenge that opinion if they feel it isnt correct , in thier opinion.( if you get my drift:unsure:).The problem being with some people on forums is that they just cant agree to disagree:D. And the other thing ill say is that dont forget that everyone on this forum whose here, has been through what the newcomers are going through. And some of us know that , in time, peoples opinions change about a lot of things..........as I believe you have, in where you have bought a house.

Anyway , happy days:jiggy:

Yep sure is, everyones entitled to an opinion,and everyones entitled to challenge that opinion if they feel it isnt correct , in thier opinion.( if you get my drift:unsure:).The problem being with some people on forums is that they just cant agree to disagree:D. And the other thing ill say is that dont forget that everyone on this forum whose here, has been through what the newcomers are going through. And some of us know that , in time, peoples opinions change about a lot of things..........as I believe you have, in where you have bought a house.

Anyway , happy days:jiggy:

totally agree chick, i constantly have contradicted myself in many ways over past 6 months, and probly will for many to come as i settle into life here.(angel on one shoulder devil on the other lol) Its very much a learning curve , never underestimate the trials and tribulations of emigration , and...my journey here has just begun. But your right some people do need to agree to disagree.

As someone once said..i may not agree with what you say..but i will defend your right to say it lol.

but also remember Aus has changed alot in a few years, we came when exchange rate was crap, petrol prices and houses prices much higher than 3 yrs ago (in uk selling quicker) , i think if lots of newbies had come then , they may have felt alot happier. Just my humbled opinion :idea:

Guest lastboyscout

Jeez, its took me 25 mins to read through that lot :)

`WE` are relative newcomers and don`t post much on here as sometimes my opinion counts for nothing really as I`m new to this country and its ways ;)

Someone summed it up well when they said `When you get off the airplane........ leave the UK and all its traits and ways behind` and those are wise words !

We came over on a PR visa and hardly any money, yes we get help from Centrelink, and rent assistance, I took a substantial drop in money coming here but have never regretted it one bit.

We have shopped for clothes at the charity shops , for myself , my wife and the kids, we sometimes don`t have two 5c coins to rub together and financially we do struggle.

But when I fetch my kids from school(State School I might add) and they tell me what they`ve been doing with such enthusiasm and joy, when they run around on the beach and they laugh and giggle, that is what the move is all about :)

We knew that setting up a new life wouldn`t be easy , we had no-one over here, no relatives or friends, but with alot of effort and adapting to the way things are over here, firstly my children are thriving, and my wife and I are loving it too.

Its hard for newcomers here, but it will make me enjoy it more when I have made it to where `WE` want to be ;)

I feel for those who are even contemplating going back to the UK, it is a toughie, but I can`t see us going back in the near future, and whatever you decide good luck .

Guest Nick11

As someone once said..i may not agree with what you say..but i will defend your right to say it lol.

Quite right - we're all different.

But when people start accusing others of having ulterior motives for talking up life in adelaide just to feather their own nest - well that's just plain wrong and darn right insulting.

Guest Django
`WE` are relative newcomers and don`t post much on here as sometimes my opinion counts for nothing really as I`m new to this country and its ways

Would you be annoyed if I say I disagree with you? :biglaugh:

I don't think it matters one iota wether you have been here 8 hours or 8 years. If you have an opinion about something it must mean you have been here long enough to muster such an opinion. Post more old bean I like reading your thoughts. Mainly as they are usually very similar to mine.;):D

As for the rest of your post :notworthy:

Guest Django

One more thing. Yes people are entitled to their opinion. Yes people are entitled to challenge that opinion. People should also respect the fact that their opinion can be challenged and not feel agrieved when it is. Also, I think it is very important to allow people the change their opinion should they decide that their opinion as was is no longer their opinion and the opinion that they now hold is in fact their opinion.

I think thats right.

Oh and I can't remember who said it but, seeing as its in my field so to speak, I feel I should correct a stat. Road deaths in the WHOLE of South Australia last year was quite a bit less than those that occurred in just Lincolnshire. So to say that there were more here is incorrect.

One more thing. Yes people are entitled to their opinion. Yes people are entitled to challenge that opinion. People should also respect the fact that their opinion can be challenged and not feel agrieved when it is. Also, I think it is very important to allow people the change their opinion should they decide that their opinion as was is no longer their opinion and the opinion that they now hold is in fact their opinion.

I think thats right.

Oh and I can't remember who said it but, seeing as its in my field so to speak, I feel I should correct a stat. Road deaths in the WHOLE of South Australia last year was quite a bit less than those that occurred in just Lincolnshire. So to say that there were more here is incorrect.

ermm my head hurts:notworthy:

My turn...

We have been here 8 months now....and it has gone so quick!

I landed a job within 1 week of being here, from which i am still in and very lucky that i fell on my feet quickly. On the other hand its took Steph just over 3 months to get a job...(for those that dont know Steph landed a job with Foodland). In those 3 months i know she struggled with being alone alot because i was at work......and really we knew no one!!!

We only arrived with £10000.....ppl that come on here and say 'can i survive on £350000?' dont know how easy they have it.... We made mistakes...i wish i bought morre stuff with us, all we have done is replace stuff we sold in the UK!!! We now pretty much live week to week with very little saving goin on.

Above all of this...8 months on...none of us would change a thing about what we have done...make the best of it!! We havent seen a lot of SA yet but we have seen we like and enjoy. I am of the opinion that i only live once...

We have never said we would 'never' return to the UK..... but right now we are making the best of what we have acheived!!! Yes..its a massive achievment just to get on that plane!!

I cant imagine how hard it is to do this with children in tow, it must be harder!!

The chance most ppl have now is once in a lifetime.....you have to give it time and patience!! Take any offers you get whether its coffee, beer, bbq, walk or a favour...we did!!

Its hard but its worth it....except when your sunburnt (believe me!!)

Dan

Guest Guest75
Our daughter has taken it in her stride but all children are different, depends on the ages too and personalities etc.

She's 50/50 at the moment so we will be make the decision this year but having no work not looking like we will be staying at this point.

The government also doing pretty well out of it, promoting it as wonderland full of sea, sun and 'work' . We all flock over they take everything they can and actually couldnt care less whether we stay or go once they lined their pockets with our money. Just my opinion, but I am entitled to one just as everyone else on this site has one.

Honestly is the best policy, best of all be honest with yourself then you will know what decision to make :-)

Jacqui

I note with interest you were plugging a furnished rental yourself in one post (snigger).

Guest Trakki
I understand where you are coming from, we too have not arrived in Adelaide as yet. we were supposed to come out with £20.000.As you can guess we have not got this anymore and we only have £10.000 my oh thinks this is enough to start a whole new life on, i dont...... i think we will face the same dilemma as you in a years time. However we both have jobs to go to so we are lucky in that aspect. But i also have to agree with the others, this country is the pitts, it wont be long before you will crave the nice weather, although anti depressants may help.... no seriously write down the pros and cons of staying in oz and going to the uk im sure the weather isnt the only cons of this country. good luck hope you make the right decision.

We have 4 kids and came out with the profit from selling our 3 year old car, a whole £4300. Pete was sure that we would be fine but I wasn't. However, I had a job to go to that I started 2.5weeks in, (would have prefered longer but needs must). By the time I got my first wage packet 4 weeks after arriving the money had gone, we had not been too money conscious to be honest. The main thing was seeing the kids faces and my very reserved 7 year old acting like a boy possessed on the beach, loving it.

Hello Baddeleys,

0405delboy here and I would like to say that I agree that Aust is somewhat more expensive than UK when you have kids. Not only re there the regular necessities for them ie; clothes, shoe and schooling let alone bloody daycare and OSHC but their activities cost a fortune. Keeping two kids occupied can cost a fortune. Many Aussie parents complain about this too. A day out to the footy or the zoo can swipe a substantial chunk out of your income especially week in week out. On top of tht, having no one to babysit can make you feel like its all work and no play.

What we need is Poms in Adelaide babysitting service. You could make a killing!!

Regards 0405delboy;)

I have to both agree and disagree here, yes I agree that the cost of child care is more expensive but I really disagree that days out are expensive. Most days out like today, we take a picnic (went to victor harbor/granite island) and the only cost apart from fuel is the obligatory ice cream. When we went to Adelaide Zoo we nearly died of Shock at the price. To get us and 4 kids into London Zoo (youngest not counted) would cost us at least £70. To get into Adelaide Zoo it cost us $60. Gorge wildlife park $35, cleland similar. We have a hard time finding things to keep all the kids interested from age 8 down to 17months but manage it. We made a pact before we came out that we would have more family days and that we do, something we would never have been able to afford in the UK. We are fonding that money is not slipping thorugh our fingers like it did at the beginning. We have been here sonce September and things are only just settling.

I've got a job as a nurse which is as good as the pay I'm getting here, my husband won't have a job so I'll have to support him till he finds something so it could be a struggle, we are going with alot less money as previously planned as we can't sell the house and are renting it out (hopefully) so also have the worry of paying that mortgage if there is no-one in it!

Sarah

You should be fine, I am a nurse and work full time earning a much better wage than in the UK. We manage well on my wage and thats with 4 kids. We do get family assistance but don't touch it, so my wage is fine, my kids miss out on a lot less here than they ever did in the UK.

Well these are just my opinions and at the end of the day you have to do what is right for you. I agree that living on fresh air isn't fun, we did it for the last few years in the UK. Whatever decision you make good luck and I am sure everyone on here will support you 100%:wubclub:

Guest LynziC

Hey I'm in the UK at the mo, (on a month holiday for xmas) visiting my family and friends in Birmingham. I've Lived in oz for nearly three years and this is the first time I'm back.

I'm sitting indoors because it's -5deg and too cold to go out, it's 4pm and pitch black. Would I swap sunshine, beaches, happy people and cold beers for this? No.

I must admit I have struggled with money VISITING here (due to the crappy exchange)

but after living in oz for 2 and a half years you settle into the wage vs costs - the UK is sooo expensive! and getting worse.

If your hearts not in it then you'll probably always want to go back, but please give it a fair chance, don't compare it it the UK constantly! Australia has so much to offer and coming back here has made me realise how lucky I am to have it.

Good luck with eveything!

Lynz xxxxx

Hi Guys.

Just a quick note to say I know how you feel, its not very easy being in two minds about something as important as where you are going to live.

I will add though I was wanting to go back on that plane before September last year so that my son could go back in time for term starting.

Fate made sure that diidnt happen thank goodness.

Like you and perhaps worst we cant earn alot of money yet.....

We havent sold our house in the Uk

and we have no babysitters

my son at the time had made friends but noone to really call his mate (he's 12)

Then a couple of lads moved here from the Uk and he has not looked back since.

This didn't cure a problem of money but it was one thing checked off the list and also to here my boy say to us, I never want to go back only for a visit really helps.

It has taken 13 months to reavaluate our situation and now we have friends lots of invites to parties ect, all my kids are happy and making new friends our life is now growing in Australia.

I cant say never but I cant see us returning in a hurry and it has taken over a year to feel that way. For some it can be less for some it will be quicker, and for some wont get the chance to find out, what ever you decide you'll know you've made the right choice.

I closed my eyes and imagined I was home, what I would be doing and asked myself would I regret the decision to return knowing we could not come back.

Good luck with your decision, and if you would like to come over and have a chat PM me.

Happy New Year

Laura xxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone,

Well me and my husband have been here since October and we loved it when we first got here but as time has gone on we have found Australia to be increasingly expensive, especially as the wages are much lower than in the UK!

Is anyone else feeling this too?

I think we would stay here if the wages were more in line with the cost of living... but right now we are contemplating going back to the UK.

Any advice or experiences would be grateful x

Guest thebaddeleys

:notworthy:Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say a big "Thankyou" to you all for all your opinions and advice.

It is comforting to know that there are people out here that feel the same and its also nice to hear how things can turn around and you can settle here in time if you give it your best shot!

It seems that we all have had our own unique experiences coming over here, and for most these experiences have only made you stronger, which can only be a good thing.

For my family... well we have decided that we have to give it our best shot for at least one year. We have to try to make this work because if we don't try then what was the point of coming here if we are just going to run back home. I feel its a comfort thing, we are out of our comfort zone and right now were not sure if we like it so the easiest option is to go back to your comfort zone. But the easiest option isn't always the right option!

For me personally... I have decided I need to make more of an effort to make more friends and take my children to a playgroup, I came here for my children to give them a better way of life, so if I can keep them happy here then i'm half way there.

For my Husband.... He is frustrated with his job, he's going backwards to go forwards, but he now has a plan to go for a promotion in a years time and if that comes off then the financial side of things will be less of a concern.

I guess time will tell, we will do our best and let fate do the rest!

Thanks again Everyone x

Kerry, Chris, Tom & Chloe

P.s. If anyone needs a mobile phone contract or broadband them PM me because my husband works for the mobile network Three (3) and will get you a great deal! x