Adelaide traffic?

Guest guest7049

Guest guest7049

What's Adelaide traffice like during rush hour? What's the furthest north and south you could live to keep a drive to the CBD down to 45 minutes during peak times?

Cheers

Guest shella_n

I live in Mawson Lakes in the north and it takes me just under 30 mins so you could go further north than that to get under your 45 mins and you could also go to West Lakes, Semaphore, North Haven etc for under that time.

We are thinking about relocating to Port Noarlunga and from what ive read you could probably make that in 45 mins - 1 hour

Michelle

I agree with snifter, for example, the tram from Glenelg takes something like 30-40min, I'm not sure you'd be able to drive it in that time at rush-hour, and you've then got to find parking. If there's two of you in the car, parking works out about the same cost as the bus/tram ticket. At rush-hour, especially when schools are in, it has taken me nearly half an hour in the past to get to work in the car, and I live in Walkerville... I usually cycle, it's faster.

Mandy's got a really good database on her website with suburbs searchable by commuting distance to the CBD. If you have a look at the bottom of the page Welcome to the NEW Home2Home website and click on Suburbs Database you should find what you're looking for.

Also on the RAA website there is a trip planner - RAA - Travel Planner. Find location, Get directions, Pre planned routes, Places to stay and Holidays Savings. - where you can put in to and from destinations to get an idea of travel times - but obviously during what passes as "rush hour" you'd probably need to add 20% to anything. Remember if you're putting in a location in the City, to put something central like Victoria Square.

I think "Peak Times" is the most important part of your question - somewhere like Noarlunga I would think would be over an hour in the morning commuter time.

Good luck

Hmm, quoted travel times always seem a bit optimistic to me. I reckon you'd be surprised (of the disappointed variety) at just how long a trip takes to most places if starting off in the cbd at rush hour (or trying to get into it). You can quite easily spend half your journey time sitting at the various traffic lights that are dotted every few hundred metres on just about every road except freeway/expressway.

Jim

You can quite easily spend half your journey time sitting at the various traffic lights that are dotted every few hundred metres on just about every road except freeway/expressway. Jim

And then there are roadworks with speed limits dropping to 25k/hr..... although genuine traffic jams are pretty rare here (this from a girl who drove round the M25 in labour..), it can be pretty frustrating and tiring having a regular long work commute here - specially with the standard of radio stations that you have to listen to!

Guest cornish Busdriver

I would say the furthest south is seafood not sure about north

The main problem with rush hour is the same as the uk, parents doing the bloody school run. What's wrong with kids walking to school or using public transport.

Why do parents feel the need to clog up the roads to take there kids less than a klm to school, it's takes longer to drive than it does to walk and then they block the roads up dropping off of picking up.

That one of the major problems with rush hour here.

We live in Moana and it takes us 50 mins to an hour to drive in and back, avoiding Main South Road! We leave fairly early though.

Started to get train from Noarlunga Centre but now doing work on the line, so its a bus and train ride, so looks like back to the car.

Guest kangomik

It depends what you call rush hour. I can make the airport from Greenwith in 35 minutes, before 7am, after 8 and it's nearer 1.15mins.

The problem with going south at night is the amount of people that live in such a vast area. I reckon south road starts at 2.45pm right through till 6pm.

Thats a long rush hour.

South road is a complete no no if your going south .ish............morphett or even marion is better. But that is if your not heading to freeway.

The more you have to go across the "'flow'' the longer it will take. Takes a while to sort best route.

The main problem with rush hour is the same as the uk, parents doing the bloody school run. What's wrong with kids walking to school or using public transport.

Why do parents feel the need to clog up the roads to take there kids less than a klm to school, it's takes longer to drive than it does to walk and then they block the roads up dropping off of picking up.

Oh i can tell you dont have kids............

Some kids dont have public transport that runs to their school or its too far to walk!

Some parents work, and drop their kids off on the way....as i do....

Guest guest7049
Well i left the city today Pirie street at 5.45 pm....and arrived home at 6.45 thats Aldinga Beach....

HG

That's not bad at all, would it have been a bit longer if you left at about 5?

Guest tooeasy

i live in seaford and go to the cbd regular and takes about 35-45mins in rush hour unless there is an accident or burst water main all I know is its a lot easier to get around than when i was in birmingham the same journey used to take me upto 2hrs