Looking for friends in/around Adelaide!

Guest pommielou

Guest pommielou

Hi all

I'm a Pom and I've been in Oz for a year (today!) and I'm struggling to meet people my age in the area I currently live in. At the moment, my Aussie husband and I live in Coffin Bay - a beautiful part of Oz but hardly a social hotbed for anyone under 60! (No offence intended to those 60+!)

We are thinking about moving to Adelaide (possibly to one of the suburbs such as Mount Barker?) and would love to know if there are people out there who are a similar age to me (34), and my husband (35), so we can get a feel for the place before we make a decision about whether to move there or not. We are both very sociable people, love having a barbie, being outdoors, watching sports, taking the dog and kids out (husband has a 3yr old boy and 4yr old girl from his previous relationship), having people round for dinner and a chat etc. I'm 5 months pregnant so wild party nights out aren't an option at the moment!

My husband has moved around Oz a lot as he was in the Navy and then a Police Officer with SAPOL for 10yrs. Therefore his friends are spread all over Oz. He's missing the friendships and social life of being a copper so if there are any coppers/ex-coppers/military/ex-military out there, feel free to get in touch! ;) He's a typical Aussie so he's more than happy to go for a beer or kick a footie about!

It would be nice to chat to people who can give me an idea of what it's like to live in/around Adelaide and maybe make a few friends before we move. :) I'm looking forward to moving to an area where there will be more people our age and more things for us to do!

Lou x :)

Guest Antonia

HI,

My names is Antonia (35), we have just arrived (almost 3 weeks ago). I came over with my husband, Lee who is 39 and ex -raf and UK MoD Civil Servant, he is looking for a change in career at the moment, so we shall see where he ends up. We also have a son, Dylan who will be 3 in September. I am an Environmental Scientist and started my new job on Monday. We love BBQs and socializing and finding things to do with Dylan - let me know if you know any good ideas. WE are based in Norwood, so a bit far from Mount Baker, let me know when you land in Adelaide and perhaps we could meet up.

Take care

Antonia

Hi all

I'm a Pom and I've been in Oz for a year (today!) and I'm struggling to meet people my age in the area I currently live in. At the moment, my Aussie husband and I live in Coffin Bay - a beautiful part of Oz but hardly a social hotbed for anyone under 60! (No offence intended to those 60+!)

We are thinking about moving to Adelaide (possibly to one of the suburbs such as Mount Barker?) and would love to know if there are people out there who are a similar age to me (34), and my husband (35), so we can get a feel for the place before we make a decision about whether to move there or not. We are both very sociable people, love having a barbie, being outdoors, watching sports, taking the dog and kids out (husband has a 3yr old boy and 4yr old girl from his previous relationship), having people round for dinner and a chat etc. I'm 5 months pregnant so wild party nights out aren't an option at the moment!

My husband has moved around Oz a lot as he was in the Navy and then a Police Officer with SAPOL for 10yrs. Therefore his friends are spread all over Oz. He's missing the friendships and social life of being a copper so if there are any coppers/ex-coppers/military/ex-military out there, feel free to get in touch! ;) He's a typical Aussie so he's more than happy to go for a beer or kick a footie about!

It would be nice to chat to people who can give me an idea of what it's like to live in/around Adelaide and maybe make a few friends before we move. :) I'm looking forward to moving to an area where there will be more people our age and more things for us to do!

Lou x :)

Guest pommielou
HI,

My names is Antonia (35), we have just arrived (almost 3 weeks ago). I came over with my husband, Lee who is 39 and ex -raf and UK MoD Civil Servant, he is looking for a change in career at the moment, so we shall see where he ends up. We also have a son, Dylan who will be 3 in September. I am an Environmental Scientist and started my new job on Monday. We love BBQs and socializing and finding things to do with Dylan - let me know if you know any good ideas. WE are based in Norwood, so a bit far from Mount Baker, let me know when you land in Adelaide and perhaps we could meet up.

Take care

Antonia

Hi Antonia

Thank you for contacting me. It's nice to hear from you. Welcome to Oz! Where was your husband based? I worked for the UK MoD as a Civil Servant many years ago (RAF Brampton and RAF Wyton) and have friends who have married into the RAF.

I hope your first day at work goes well. Work is a great way to meet people, although it's always nice to have friends outside of work too. I have been in Oz for a year but due to visa requirements I wasn't granted permission to work until February and that's when I found out I was pregnant! Therefore I've spent a year at home - something I'm definitely not used to! I worked as an emergency call taker for the Police in the UK before I moved out here so I'm used to being busy and used to struggle fitting my social life in around my shifts. Now I'm struggling to find a social life!!!

We are still unsure about when to move as it depends on my husbands ex (as they have two children). As soon as we know we're definitely able to move, I'll let you know. We're somewhat undecided about where we want to live in Adelaide but would prefer to be out of the CBD. The kids love meeting new children and having play dates so it would be nice to meet up when we end up in Adelaide. It's definitely a case of when, not if we move there!

Take care and have a good weekend

Lou

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pommie Lou - does your hubby work in the Optus shop? I used to live in Port Lincoln but now I'm in Adelaide, I commute back and forth every few weekends to see my boyfriend who is still in Port Lincoln. I would be happy to meet up with you one weekend in the future, I can also introduce you to another nice pommie girl who lives in Port Lincoln. I am not on here that much but I will try to log back in soon. You can email me directly, I think my email address is in my profile!!! I know exactly how you feel, hope everything is going well with the pregnancy so far!? Best wishes, Louise

Guest pommielou
Hi Pommie Lou - does your hubby work in the Optus shop? I used to live in Port Lincoln but now I'm in Adelaide, I commute back and forth every few weekends to see my boyfriend who is still in Port Lincoln. I would be happy to meet up with you one weekend in the future, I can also introduce you to another nice pommie girl who lives in Port Lincoln. I am not on here that much but I will try to log back in soon. You can email me directly, I think my email address is in my profile!!! I know exactly how you feel, hope everything is going well with the pregnancy so far!? Best wishes, Louise

Hi Louise

Thank you so much for your reply :biggrin: I've sent you a private message on here. Couldn't see your email address on your profile but that could be due to my baby brain at the moment...!

It's nice to hear from someone who has been in the same position as me and understands.

Pregnancy is going well, apart from a lot of morning sickness! Baby is doing really well and is a very active little thing so all is good.

Take care and hopefully speak soon

Lou x

• 5 months later...