Hallett Cove Beach

R & H

Hi

We're hopefully moving to a house near Hallet Cove beach and we were wondering how busy the actual beach gets in the summer time. We have visited it in May, Oct and January and we have never seen anyone on the beach apart from dog walkers and a few fishermen on the rocks at the end of the cove. Obviously Brighton, Christies Beach and Noarlunga beaches are beautifully sandy so I assume that is where everyone heads towards on 'beach days'?

Can dogs be walked on the beach at Hallet Cove all year around ? Another quick question, is there a fish and chip shop in Hallet Cove (it's not a deal breaker, just curious). Also has anyone seen whales in the Cove if so what time of year would that be?

That's all the questions for now :biggrin: As you will appreciate, we're keen to get as much information as we can before we arrive. Thanks R & H

People do use the beach but not as busy as other beaches as there are a lot of stones/ pebbles.There are a couple of chip / chicken shops at the shopping center and I think one down at the other set of shops.There was a whale there last year about august

Hi Not being a dog walker I can't comment but the only fish and chip shop at Hallet Cove is Barnical Bill there a chain of fast food shops - not really fish and chips. Proper fish and chips head to Port Noarlunga. The only time I have seen the beaches really busy is say maybe Australia day then places get pretty busy but there is still plenty of beach to go around.

Whales are sometimes seen at the cove and along the cost from approx late June to early September best place though is down Victor Harbour.

Last time I was at Hallet Cove most of the sand was washed away - not really a beach and tricky to walk on.

Most beaches have a leash free time or section you would have to check, I only know about top part of Christies and Lonsdale where you can walk dogs freely all year I believe :-)

Good luck with your journey - you never know once you get here so don't be to set on an area as things sometimes get in the way.

The beach at Hallett cove used to be a great beach full of sand until they dredged the sand from port stanvac to fill other beaches with and due to them altering the sea bed the tides have taken most of the sand away from Hallett cove beach. There is talk of them replenishing it but they have said that for years.But its still a great beach to explore great to take the kids down to they can play with the sand that is left and have a good time in the rock pools and the board walk right along the top of the beach is great as well.

The chicken shop at the shopping center also does fish and chips and has more of a selection than Barnacle bills and is just like a chip shop There is also a chicken shop (just like a chip shop) at The shops at Karrara.

Guest Pstewart

Asking about the beaches is fair enough. asking about the chip shop did make me chuckle! I thought to myself "only us english would ask the whereabouts of the nearest chip shop!" lol

Guest jdhogg747

And only the english ask for Vinegar on the chips as well hahaha I live in Hallett Cove and really enjoying living here, cool breezes in the mad summer heat which helps but quite chilly in the winter with the wind coming from the sea.

Good Luck

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Hallett Cove Beach, is only good for walking a dog and looking for crabs with the kids. Beware of the blue ringed octupus's, as I have see many and they are deadly. You have to go further South, to Port Noarlunga or the other way to Seacliff for the nice sandy beaches.

Guest jlr248

Hallett beach is really pebbly and rocky so is only used by locals, usually walking, so it is always quiet, even in summer. There are glorious sandy beaches 10 mins either side of Hallett for sunbathing and swimming. I do love Hallett beach though and get fed up of people who slag it off just because its rocky. I love clambering over the rocks or walking on the boardwalk (which goes all the way to Marino). There is also the Conservation Park to wander around though i dont think you can take your dog there. Its a great all year round beach and there is a nice little licensed cafe there too. I also love Noarlunga and Seacliff and tend to use these beaches more in the summer.

As for the chippy, there is every type of take away food available in Hallett, fish/chicken shop, pizza, chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, MacDonalds plus a couple of restaurants, coffee shops and a small food court in the shopping centre. Most are pretty good too.

Havent seen a whale (or shark or big spider - so guess we havent been here long enough yet) but have heard they do pass at some time of the year. Have heard you are better to head to one of the jettys for a better look though.

I think Hallet is a lovely place to live but i guess if you've been here 3 times you know that!! Be lucky x

jane

We LOVE Hallett Cove beach. Almost nobody has the patience to navigate through the stones and actually go in the water, and that is one of the main attractions, the other being the amazing view from the water of the conservation park - the cliffs, the amphitheatre and the sugarloaf. Once in the water, it is as sandy as any beach.

As for Hallett Cove in general, it is great - 2 train stations, good shopping centre and a sea view around every corner.

Regarding fish and chips - fish isn't really that good, or affordable, in Aus compared to the wonderful cod and haddock in the UK. But head down to the Karrara chip shop on Barramundi Drive for the best chips in the world, fab BBQ chickens, great salads and friendly service. No, I'm not the owner, just a very satisfied customer!

Blue ringed octopuses scare me. I can handle the spiders and snakes but these things are proper deadly and there's no antidote is there? Do you see a lot on the beach? Can they get you through shoes? Are they easy to spot? They worry me....

The blue ringed octopus may be found:

• along the coast of Australia and some Pacific Islands
  • in very small places including in shallow coral and rock pools, under rocks, in cracks and crevices on the reef, in tidal pools, inside shells, and in discarded bottles, cans and other detritus on the sea floor.
  • also in sandy or muddy stretches of the sea bottom where seaweed is plentiful.

Most casualties are to curious children and animals. No need for panic, just be aware.