England is cheap

Guest smit

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't you find Stella on draught in Adelaide?
Yup,Glenelg,in the public bar under the Grand Hotel.Even better,Thursday night half price $7 dollars for 2 pints from 7 till 10 pm.Even spirits.Its the real thing OK,mondo headache the next day,just like in the UK.:D

Too true about money not making good life.........but it helps.

Overall cost of living........dont know which is cheaper , cant be arsed thinking about it.......I just mentioned food prices in asdas.....which ive seen. If you dont agree ...so what..........

and yes .....having a good time also..........:jiggy:

What do you mane so what?

I noticed how cheap a lot of stuff is in the Supermarkets, I also noticed how hardly any food in them is local.

(Smit) I am not accusing you of this, but the cost of food has no bearing to my life in Aus. I really hope people don't think about the cost of food as to whether to emigrate or not.

My pennies worth (ahem)...

I'm sure if you looked hard you can find some good deals around in Oz!?

We're not moving because of cheap food/clothes, but for an adventure / change in life / the sun! :)

Problem is a lot of the 'deals are on food stuff like crisps, choc, fast food and they wonder why our nation is getting fatter!??

When people are on limited budgets because they have no job or low income then the shops have to accomodate accordingly, that said although 'cheap' some still need it to be cheaper! All relative I think.

Weather forecast - rain & snow :(

Problem is a lot of the 'deals are on food stuff like crisps, choc, fast food and they wonder why our nation is getting fatter!??

Wait till you get here and find that even health and fitness clubs celebrate their openings with a "sausage sizzle"! That'd be a (fried) sausage in a slice of homepride!

Guest P00hbear
Nah - she moved back to the UK because you can't get up to date episodes of Coronation Street and East Enders.

We do get draught here , very few houses are "properly" insulated

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

That has made my day..... i did have 18 laughing heads but i was told to remove some!

I agree England is cheap.

Everytime I go to the supermarket here I'm afraid I am still comparing prices back and it's amazing how much some things are here. Pack of 4 chocolate chip muffins in Coles special offer $3.99 - they were 99p full price in Tescos !!! and probably 2 for £1.50 when on special offer. :arghh:

I have started baking my own cakes!!

Also mortgages in England are very cheap... and 2nd hand cars..and sports gear - I saw a childs Lonsdale T-shirt here for $25 !! They used to almost give them away in England. Stock up before you come.

Yes, some food is cheaper in the UK but........... it's genarally the high sugar, high fat, high salt rubbish that has the rock bottom prices. I much prefer to cook my own cakes anyway. I can make 10 muffins for that price and they taste much better too! We have far too much choice - who needs 15 different types of sugar and 35 different jams?. Eating simply and healthily is easier in Australia.

So much of our fruit and veg is imported so we can have it all the year round so prices fluctuate wildly. Local produce, in season is still the best value but we've forgotten about 'seasonal food' here. The stuff we can grow can vary too - all it takes is some heavy rain, frosts or ice during harvesting or planting times for there to be a shortage (eg. potatoes and root veggies this winter)

I'd still rather have nice fresh meat, fish, eggs and locally grown produce any day.

Guest moonraker1959
Yes, some food is cheaper in the UK but........... it's genarally the high sugar, high fat, high salt rubbish that has the rock bottom prices. I much prefer to cook my own cakes anyway. I can make 10 muffins for that price and they taste much better too! We have far too much choice - who needs 15 different types of sugar and 35 different jams?. Eating simply and healthily is easier in Australia.

So much of our fruit and veg is imported so we can have it all the year round so prices fluctuate wildly. Local produce, in season is still the best value but we've forgotten about 'seasonal food' here. The stuff we can grow can vary too - all it takes is some heavy rain, frosts or ice during harvesting or planting times for there to be a shortage (eg. potatoes and root veggies this winter)

I'd still rather have nice fresh meat, fish, eggs and locally grown produce any day.

I don't even look at junk in our supermarkets,so can't compare those prices but I do know 2.5kg of potatoes were 30p in our local supermarket(Sainsburys),apples bag of 8 £1,bag of carrots 50p ect.Hot cross buns were 12 for £1.

I suggest anyone still in the UK should look at www.colesonline.com.au to get an idea of prices.

Their cheapest potatoes are 79c a kilo for a 5 kilo bag. Normal everday spuds are $6.98 for a 3 kilo bag (£4.20). At Tescos they are 40p (66c) a kilo for a 2.5 kg bag.

Many everyday basics are more expensive here.

For example 400g Nutella Tescos £1.78 ($2.95) or $5.00 in Coles

Corn flakes own brand 800g $4.83 (Coles) Tescos 750g £1 ($1.65).

It's not a situation that can be solved merely by buying 'in season' vegetables.

Guest P00hbear
I suggest anyone still in the UK should look at www.colesonline.com.au to get an idea of prices.

Their cheapest potatoes are 79c a kilo for a 5 kilo bag. Normal everday spuds are $6.98 for a 3 kilo bag (£4.20). At Tescos they are 40p (66c) a kilo for a 2.5 kg bag.

Many everyday basics are more expensive here.

For example 400g Nutella Tescos £1.78 ($2.95) or $5.00 in Coles

Corn flakes own brand 800g $4.83 (Coles) Tescos 750g £1 ($1.65).

It's not a situation that can be solved merely by buying 'in season' vegetables.

Hi Anne

It's quite shocking isn't it when you think how cheap our food is then! I guess there are more supermarkets here and therefore more competition. I suppose at some point though you hust have to accept it and try not to compare:nah:

Is there cheaper supermarkets than Coles? Is it more cost effective to buy from the butchers and greengrocers rather than all in one place? We don't have jobs to come to, so i need to be realistic about how much we are going to need to get buy until we get jobs:sad:

Do you feel that everything is more expensive or are there some areas that you save? It hasn't put you off though has it?

Sorry to pick your brains:v_SPIN:

Wendy

Nah - she moved back to the UK because you can't get up to date episodes of Coronation Street and East Enders.

We do get draught here , very few houses are "properly" insulated:biglaugh:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha........this really made me laugh, love it!!! THANKS!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Hi Anne

It's quite shocking isn't it when you think how cheap our food is then! I guess there are more supermarkets here and therefore more competition. I suppose at some point though you hust have to accept it and try not to compare:nah:

Is there cheaper supermarkets than Coles? Is it more cost effective to buy from the butchers and greengrocers rather than all in one place? We don't have jobs to come to, so i need to be realistic about how much we are going to need to get buy until we get jobs:sad:

Do you feel that everything is more expensive or are there some areas that you save? It hasn't put you off though has it?

Sorry to pick your brains:v_SPIN:

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Not everything is more expensive by any means, but some things seem to be ridiculously expensive, such as breakfast cereals, I really feel I am being ripped off. I prefer Foodland to Coles but Coles is our nearest supermarket so we do go there sometimes just out of convenience. You can get cheaper bargains if you shop around but obviously that takes time and energy.

It hasn't put me off being here, as we are having such a lovely time. We went down the beach at Grange a couple of times over the Easter weekend, the sun was warm, the beach was empty, the water was lovely and clear, and it's free!!

Guest joolz
Hi Wendy,

Not everything is more expensive by any means, but some things seem to be ridiculously expensive, such as breakfast cereals, I really feel I am being ripped off. I prefer Foodland to Coles but Coles is our nearest supermarket so we do go there sometimes just out of convenience. You can get cheaper bargains if you shop around but obviously that takes time and energy.

It hasn't put me off being here, as we are having such a lovely time. We went down the beach at Grange a couple of times over the Easter weekend, the sun was warm, the beach was empty, the water was lovely and clear, and it's free!!

Cereals are rip off here too that's why we stopped buying them...think I might have to bring a bread maker with me though for the toast!!!lol

Guest P00hbear
Cereals are rip off here too that's why we stopped buying them...think I might have to bring a bread maker with me though for the toast!!!lol

What a good idea Joolz - I think, i will keep mine and take it if we go? Just have to dust it off! lol

wendy

Guest P00hbear
Hi Wendy,

Thanks Anne,

Perhaps I will have to bring a container full of cereals and sell them off! Bet they would get seized though - probably not allowed to bring foodstuffs in! Glad you enjoyed the sun over the easter break - dead jealous as we ended up paddling in the sea (very murkey) in our wellies at Hastings. It rained all day:sad:

With regards to your lovely, clear water....... do you go in? My kids say they will never go in cause of the sharks! I guess some beaches are netted? And quite safe to swim in? I love the sea and would hate not to be able to take advantage of it!

Wendy

Guest joolz
What a good idea Joolz - I think, i will keep mine and take it if we go? Just have to dust it off! lol

wendy

Lol...yep mine's extremely dusty!!!! Must check if it still works???

Thanks Anne,

Perhaps I will have to bring a container full of cereals and sell them off! Bet they would get seized though - probably not allowed to bring foodstuffs in! Glad you enjoyed the sun over the easter break - dead jealous as we ended up paddling in the sea (very murkey) in our wellies at Hastings. It rained all day:sad:

With regards to your lovely, clear water....... do you go in? My kids say they will never go in cause of the sharks! I guess some beaches are netted? And quite safe to swim in? I love the sea and would hate not to be able to take advantage of it!

Wendy

Hi,

Yes I definately go in, I've given up worrying what I look like in a swimming costume!! When we lived here in the 90's I used to go for a swim almost every day in summer and I realise I should do it more often - although I tend to spend most of the time just floating rather than swimming. The kids love it, they are both in the surf club and my son is getting very confident now with his swimming which is good to see. Yesterday the water was so clear you could see tiny fish swimming around and we found a huge crab!! The beach on this part of the coast is really nice, no stones just sand (and the occasional crab) under your feet. There are sharks out there but I reckon if you stay close to the shore, swim parallel to the beach, don't swim on your own and swim on a patrolled beach then you should be OK.