English fish n chips - down south

Guest stokiedownunder

Frozen chips seem to be the norm over here yuck! been to brownys but the chips let him down apart from that it's one of the better places we have been, will have to have brown sauce on me chip butties till he starts doin curry, I'd even settle for a decent gravy...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Yorkshire Paul

Now all I need to find is Carling in the bottl'o

That is great to here, an English chippy in Adelaide! Cheers for the post mate!

Guest Guest75
I tried to get a price list today but the prices change all the time due to supply. They did have loads of cod for the Brits and even some snoek for the South Africans! By the way...snoek is cooked with apricot jam!

What do the fishermen think about that combination?

Errrmmmm - yuk???

Is Snoek the same as Snook here???

Barracuda type fish??

On a good day we have an over-abundance and it does not freeze well.:)

Just had cod & chips from Brownys... my expectations were very high after all the build up on here, but must say I was a bit disappointed!!

The cod was nice although the batter wasnt good.. Think the oil was too hot as it was a very dark brown colour!

I was expecting 'proper English chips' but the ones i got were the frozen type!!

Were I come from the proper English chips are made fresh from potatoes... Is that not the norm???)

Wasnt a bad meal.. but certinaly didnt live up to English fish & chips I was hoping for!! Looks like the diet will be able to continue!!

There's a place in Semaphore that does proper chips - cut by hand from potatoes, none of this cook-from-frozen stuff! Always a queue there when we've been but well worth it. It's on the high street running back from the beach, on the right hand side if you face the sea (sorry can't remember its name)!

Guest WhatNow?
There's a place in Semaphore that does proper chips - cut by hand from potatoes, none of this cook-from-frozen stuff! Always a queue there when we've been but well worth it. It's on the high street running back from the beach, on the right hand side if you face the sea (sorry can't remember its name)!

Why you 'crappy' Diane? Have you had a bad day?

Just had cod & chips from Brownys... my expectations were very high after all the build up on here, but must say I was a bit disappointed!!

The cod was nice although the batter wasnt good.. Think the oil was too hot as it was a very dark brown colour!

I was expecting 'proper English chips' but the ones i got were the frozen type!!

Were I come from the proper English chips are made fresh from potatoes... Is that not the norm???)

Wasnt a bad meal.. but certinaly didnt live up to English fish & chips I was hoping for!! Looks like the diet will be able to continue!!

Soto's, 23 Semaphore Rd, Semaphore, for freshly cut chips! Adelaide's best, my tip is to ring your order through to avoid a long queue.

Guest katsmajic

I coated & stuffed a rugger/baby snapper in apricot jam, wrapped it in alfoil and baked it slowly in the oven - it was beautiful.

By the way...snoek is cooked with apricot jam!

What do the fishermen think about that combination?

That's great!

Apricot jam is the basis of loads of basting sauces. It's great on chicken too!

If the snook here has the longest thinnest bones you have ever seen (I hate fish!) and it goes soggy (South Africans say "pap") when left out for a while then it's the same fish just spelt snoek!

My OH covers it with garlic butter, slices of tomato and onion and wrapped in tin foil and he cooks it over a wood, charcoal, or briquette barbie (braai!). The apricaot jam is the other method and we have a family arriving from New Zealand next week who want an invite to the apricat jam version.

Try it!

I know that it sounds like a gross combination but give it a go?

Guest DanandJanna

Been trying some different types of fish from the fishmonger, had 'lingfish' last week, very similar to ling at home which is a member of the cod family so similar to cod and haddock. Looks more or less the same as cod and is one of the cheaper fish on the counter. Got it at Marion but I've seen it other places.

Same here. Made a detour to try this place a couple of weeks ago while we were down that way; after the hype it was all a bit disappointing. Shan't be rushing back there.

I suppose that 'UK style' means different things to different people depending on where in the UK they're from.

Jim

Must admit very rare I ate fish/cod in the uk, but I do like the butterfish over here, a place in the Collonades does it with chips, coleslaw, slice of lemon and tatar sauce for $6.50, not bad, just wish more places would do proper fresh chips, seriously thinkin of openin me own plaice.

Guest verulam

we went on the "Port Princess" dolphin cruise at Port Adelaide last week while over there on holiday. The 2 hour cruise plus beautiful fish, chips and salad was only $11 and well worth it. Lovely butterfish. A lovely way to spend a Sunday lunchtime. Back in the UK now and aussie hubby loves his cod n chips n curry sauce lol

Guest alexbrown

Sounds great , does anyone know if you can get pies in chippies anywhere near the Newton/Campbelltown area as would like to get pie and chips some nights? The fish n chips here a good but do miss pie and chips from chippy.

Sounds great , does anyone know if you can get pies in chippies anywhere near the Newton/Campbelltown area as would like to get pie and chips some nights? The fish n chips here a good but do miss pie and chips from chippy.

Not really local but give Cafe de Vilis a try one day! Pie, chips and gravy - yumm!! It's in Mile End.

Guest WhatNow?

I buy Vili's pies from the supermarket and keep them in the freezer until required, then a trip to Holden Hill Chicken Chef to get 'proper' chips is just long enough to defrost/warm the pies...beef and mushroom Vili's - yum

Guest SA Great

WOW! 47 posts on fish and chips!! Obviously a winner. I quite like butterfish and aussie chips. I reckon the chickens are great here.

Guest WhatNow?

And here's another one! I tried Soto's in Semaphore tonight (Diane's recommendation, thanks) - excellent fresh chips - butterfish not so good, will try something else next time. He has a BIG sign up telling people about all the additives in frozen chips and explaining that his freshly cut chips vary in colour and texture according to the weather when the potatoes are growing! Very nice chips - even better than Chicken Chef but too far to go on a regular basis - just as wekk for the diet I suppose!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chelseadownunder

Brownys.....Well the Chips are frozen that they use now and not that special. The cod was lush but the batter had left the fish well before I got it home. Mushy peas good, they warm them up for you. Please let me know of anywhere better as I would love a good old cod and chips with fresh chips!!