Huntsman spiders

Guest markjl

Guest WhatNow?

There is a difference between the sorts of sprays that kill them and those that deter them from coming in because they don't like to cross the chemical, and some sprays do both. All supermarkets /DIY stores stock many different makes and a combination of the two types is probably the best bet if you are really freaked by them. The surface sprays do deter the ants and cockroaches too which are harder to 'kill' with the contact spray. When you hoover/dust just spray around door/window frames and air con vents (doesn't stop them doing a MI down a web though!). Hotel cleaners also spray round the base of beds to deter any from creeping up the bedlinen so that might be a good idea too.

As has been mentioned by previous posters, both the sprays and the bombs can cause us to have allergic reactions and they don't always smell so good either, so go carefully to start with.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must be really unlucky! Because I am always a target for any biting/stinging insect, I spreayed myself all over with Aeroguard before venturing out. Result? I was the ONLY one bitten by the bloomin mozzies. Ended up like elephant woman! They must like Geordie blood LOL

Have a look at the relationship between Huntsmen and Spider Wasps. There's pictures on the internet, but we had a big fight between them in our kitchen. It was like Godzilla v The Incredible Hulk. The big massive wasp thing stung the spider into submission, trimmed off some legs and dragged it outside, around the corner and under a rock to presumably do something with it. It was really interesting. NEarly made my wife pack her bags though...

First thing we did when we moved into the house was bomb the place something stupid. We also Sprayed all the door frames and windows.

What I wanted to ask was as hubbie is at work most of the time and I am alone at home with the kids. If I happen to see any type of spider, can I suck it up in me dyson??

First thing we did when we moved into the house was bomb the place something stupid. We also Sprayed all the door frames and windows.

What I wanted to ask was as hubbie is at work most of the time and I am alone at home with the kids. If I happen to see any type of spider, can I suck it up in me dyson??

No prob sucking up spiders - you might have trouble with the bigger ones as they hang onto the end of the tube!:arghh::arghh:

If you manage to suck it up the Dyson, make sure you block the top of the nozzle (I use tissue paper) while the Dyson is standing alone afterwards in the laundry - I'm sure when I didn't do this, one dodgy whitetip climbed back up and out!

A quick spray of insecticide into the nozzle just before turning it off does the trick, followed by a trip to the bin whilst your cargo is at least sedated if not dead.

Guest WhatNow?
Can never bring myself to kill a spider after seeing a birthday card with a picture of a foot about to come down on a small (ish) spider, and a big hairy Mummy-spider leg tapping the owner of the foot on the shoulder....!!!

Besides, squishing something that big sure makes a mess!

Guest Scrappin' Julie
No prob sucking up spiders - you might have trouble with the bigger ones as they hang onto the end of the tube!

:arghh: you made me go cold reading that! :arghh:

And although I would normally squish redbacks and whitetips, huntsmen are just too big to put my size 9 on...mind you, they are still shown the door as I couldn't live in my house knowing I was sharing it with a big hairy critter! :wideeyed:

Guest WhatNow?

Haven't been bitten by a white tip myself (although have had several in the house during the v hot weather) but I know several people who have and it isn't as scary as often made out - unless you get an allergic reaction of course. The main thing is that if you get a mysterious bite that feels like a mossie bite at first but then starts to ache, swell unusually quickly or look like it is going septic, get to your doctor soon as. It could be a white tip bite. Doctor took a look at one friend's arm, gave her oral antibiotics to take and drew a line around the bite with a marker. Told her that if the swelling reached the mark she was to go straight to A&E where they would give her intravenous antibiotics. Don't know if that is advice anyone else has heard about suspected white-tip bites but the doc certainly wasn't giving the impression it was a big deal. Got the same feedback from Australian friends who got bitten several times as kids and survived intact! Just don't ignore a bite that starts to get nasty - get medical advice as soon as you can, just in case.

Haven't been bitten by a white tip myself (although have had several in the house during the v hot weather) but I know several people who have and it isn't as scary as often made out - unless you get an allergic reaction of course. The main thing is that if you get a mysterious bite that feels like a mossie bite at first but then starts to ache, swell unusually quickly or look like it is going septic, get to your doctor soon as. It could be a white tip bite. Doctor took a look at one friend's arm, gave her oral antibiotics to take and drew a line around the bite with a marker. Told her that if the swelling reached the mark she was to go straight to A&E where they would give her intravenous antibiotics. Don't know if that is advice anyone else has heard about suspected white-tip bites but the doc certainly wasn't giving the impression it was a big deal. Got the same feedback from Australian friends who got bitten several times as kids and survived intact! Just don't ignore a bite that starts to get nasty - get medical advice as soon as you can, just in case.

I got bitten by a spider of some description and ended up having to have a week off work, had a intra-venous line put and had a nurse coming out to put medication through the line twice a day...but all is good now....

Just part and parcel of living here in what i call paradise....( esp now its warmed up )

HG