All you newbies

Guest laurenburton92

Guest The Dimmocks
So its okay to slag off every other state but as someone does it about adelaide u all try to kick off, well over a computer anyway!

I moved from u.k to get away from english people, and here you all are again doing what u do best, attempting to mouth off!

I didnt kick off on my post, I gave some advice in what I classed as a nice way.

Bit confused though as to why did you join Poms in Adelaide if you wanted to get away from English people???? And why advertise your hairdressing business on a site full of English people????

I always try and comment on peoples posts with helpful things, so they are simple questions.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have good friends who live in a wonderful part of Victoria, and others who live in Queensland, and I was born in NSW. All have their plusses and minusses and as I've said before, what suits one may not suit another. If everyone liked the same place it'd be pretty overcrowded, and that's certainly not something you can say about many places in Australia. The nice thing is that if it isn't your cup of tea, you can try somewhere else.

Stop abusing people who like Adelaide, accept it's not for you, and move on.

I'm sure you wouldn't go to someone's house and criticise their taste and call them hillbillies if the place wasn't decorated how you would do it.

I think many people were and are supportive of your views, but name-calling won't help anyone - and that's not just aimed at you, but at anyone else who feels that way inclined! I'll have to start editing soon and I hate doing that!!

Guest katsmajic

Theres more english here than left in the uk isnt there? lol

And believe me theres a damn sight more english in brissie than in adelaide...we looked at going to brissie initially but the humidity and the rain put us off - and the fact theres no real beach and the rivers full of bull sharks :err:

Personally - my teens have very few english mates - saying most of them have their heads up their arses, are materialistic and have an opinion of being a better class person than ozzies...

(thats their words not mine)

I moved from u.k to get away from english people, and here you all are again doing what u do best, attempting to mouth off!

Guest guest3462

The only thing I can say is that you need to turn your computer off and calm yourself down, you are seeing things that are not there. There are a few posts in here that are on your side and you needn't try to push everyone against you cos they're not.

I think all you are managing to do is dig yourself a big deep hole that people are going to throw their best (or worst) at you and make you even more angry and upset.

Look at this as a learning curve. You have seen that everyones opinions differ to yours and that though some don't care much for yours, you obviously don't care much for theirs/ours either so its a two way door. Try to remember though that this is our home and we will defend it much the same as you would if you enjoyed it here.

You have lots of plans to make ready for your big move in a few weeks time and it is futile to waste your emotions and time arguing on here when its not going to make a jot of difference to the way you live your life. My suggestion is, and shoot me down in flames if it makes you feel better, would be to try and suss out Brisbane and its suburbs and busy yourself by trying to organise work for when you get there. I guess you will also have loose ends to tie up here even if you have only been here a short while, my guess is you have managed to get yourself a client base to sort out and friends to say tata to.

Hun, there is more to life than sat here slagging folk off, god only knows that I do it out of boredom while the kids are sat painting pictures (mainly on the walls)!!lol!

Get out there and enjoy it instead of moaning about it!

I must have missed your original post - just interested what was it what originally attracted you and your family to Adelaide and if you could summarise your reason for moving into a single sentence what would that be? Perhaps if there are other people who originally moved to Adelaide and have since moved states they could add to this (or perhaps there are people who moved to another state initially and have since moved to Adelaide).

I am interested because I stay in a house share with people from various different countries - some studying, some working [none of them are in the 18-20 age bracket - so it is not the Justin Bieber factor]. Generally they propose to move from Adelaide once they have completed their studies or working contract due to lack of opportunities, lack of social life etc. So would be interested in how their experiences tie up with yours.

this is not about running down Adelaide but am genuinely interested. It is very difficult to get a good idea of a place from a distance and as already said we all are looking for different things in a city or country so maybe your experience would help someone else.

Guest laurenburton92

We came here because of mums work, she was offered a job in calvary hospital, we wanted to move to oz because of the lifestyle and wernt fussy where! No one had anything bad to say about adelaide until we arrived here, its too dated for us we feel! Not just general life but the work places also which means we are not enjoying work + living here becomes too hard! The beaches are nice, but not as tropical as we imagined, but that's not an issue, at the moment its a bit windy down there too lol! I think adelaide would be good for an older couple looking to just relax! Its not all bad experiences we just feel brisbane has more to offer for what we are lookibg for :)

Thanks for that - certainly gives a great deal of insight. Really hope you find Brisbane to your liking. It was one of the places I had considered moving to however being on a regional visa I am for the time being restricted to regional areas.

Guest The Dimmocks
We came here because of mums work, she was offered a job in calvary hospital, we wanted to move to oz because of the lifestyle and wernt fussy where! No one had anything bad to say about adelaide until we arrived here, its too dated for us we feel! Not just general life but the work places also which means we are not enjoying work + living here becomes too hard! The beaches are nice, but not as tropical as we imagined, but that's not an issue, at the moment its a bit windy down there too lol! I think adelaide would be good for an older couple looking to just relax! Its not all bad experiences we just feel brisbane has more to offer for what we are lookibg for :)

I think if you had posted this first you would have got a far better response from people. I know someone who has recently decided to move to Brisbane for their reasons and someone who lived in Perth and have just moved there too. I wouldnt knock anyone for doing it as we have to life our lives as we want to live them not as others think it should be lived. I hope you get the lifestyle you are after and seriously would be interesting to hear how you find it and get on. I have only ever been to Adelaide so cant comment on other areas.

You not answered my question though?

Guest Chandan
I am not in school so yes its not as easier, I am a qualified hairdresser working in a hair salon so yes it would take longer to build up a good network, I'm not trying to say that a lot of old people is an issue for everyone, for me it is because I don't want to grow up in a place like this I would like to live in a place that has something going on for us, and where the city is buzzing on a saturday night, adelaide wasn't, I came home dissapointed!

Hense, one of the reasons we are moving to brisbane, me + my family would like to stay close forever, so the 3 children wanting to move to a different state when they hit 18 is really not what we came for!!

But thank you anne for your comment, it is nice to see that some people can understand where I am coming from without getting argumentative :)

not really sure what original post started off all of this but just reading the last few...and here is my experience of it all...

I was born in Gawler and lived there for 16 years, I was lonely living there (we lived about 10 mins out of Gawler, we had six houses on our road, our road was 2 miles long...you see my point) and was chuffed to move to the city, looking for more adventure..

I made lots of friends and had a ball, they only thing was the job I was in was going nowhere (Coles, I had started an after school job and went from there) , so after 3 years in that job, when I was 20, I wanted more adventure and flew to London on a one way ticket, a live in nannying job to go to and £100 in my pocket..

Every Aussie I met in London asked me what I thought of Adelaide, I always answered 'Its a pretty city and perfect to raise a family and to retire in...'

So at the age of 32, with a husband and two kids in tow I have come full circle back to Lil' Old Adelaide and are now wanting the childhood of swimming pools and sunny weather I had for my kids.

I never went to Uni here and think that was something I missed out on when I was school leaving age... now applying to Uni next year, so a little backwards.

Adelaide will always be my home, and I love it. but I did get seduced by the bright lights of other cities in the World, but I love to go to those places on holiday..

I think of Adelaide as a safe harbour before the big wild seas of the world.. and I am so grateful that I get to bring my kids up here.

Good Luck in Brisbane Lauren, I hope you find your glitter there.. but dont leave Adelaide hating it.. it does have its own sparkle, it just depends on what stage in your life you are at and if it offers what you need at the time.

There's a wonderful book you should read if you haven't already done so, Danni - I can't remember the exact name of it (I have it at home so will check later) but it's something like "Why I am Australian" all about a mother who brought her kids back here for an extended holiday just so they could experience all the things she remembered from her childhood. If I can find it, yo're welcome to borrow it. It's a really uplifting read.

Little man, big fish syndrome!!

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahaha!

I'm a very happy and slightly youthful 52. Lived a very full life and did not expect to make it this far.

I certainly ain't old yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Not having a go on account of my age I can assure you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure that anyone who has met me can vouch for that!!!!!!!!!:cute::cute:

Just look in my photo album!!

or here ya go.........

Just to prove that I have nothing to hide.........

28lb0507101.jpg

Prize fish was that..............

Guest Chandan
There's a wonderful book you should read if you haven't already done so, Danni - I can't remember the exact name of it (I have it at home so will check later) but it's something like "Why I am Australian" all about a mother who brought her kids back here for an extended holiday just so they could experience all the things she remembered from her childhood. If I can find it, yo're welcome to borrow it. It's a really uplifting read.

Thanks Diane..... same with that song.. I still call Australia Home..:cute:

Lauren you have only been here like 3 months!! you cant expect things to happen, just like that! you cant just have as many friends you had back in the uk && a party life style like you did because you dont know any1 to enjoy that with! the whole point of making a new life is starting a fresh! which means there is going to be a completely different change. i dont see why you have to post it on here! its just unwanted negativity! =) i like adelaide, yes it has been tough but that was to be expected in the first place To be honest! .

. i dont see why you have to post it on here! its just unwanted negativity!

Unfortunately thats where you went wrong Lauren...you were negative about the place, and i dont care what anyone says....negativity about Adelaide, isnt well liked on this site.

Been here for 5 years Lauren, and alot of what you have said is true....I feel very sorry for you how people have come down on you like a ton of bricks.....feel quite ashamed really that fellow PIA members can be so harsh...because you dared to say how you feel.:sad:

I dont care how old you are....if you are young, then i think you have expressed your feelings and opinions in a pretty good way.....and some of the comments towards you about your age have have been pretty insulting....:sad:

I hope you and your family find what you are looking for up there in Brisbane...good luck :biglaugh:

Guest Nomoreengland

Everytime I come on this site its just full of the same old circle of people mods + a few others all just trying to control view points and conversations. This is NOT supposed to be just a social networking site, its to help people both in the UK and over here make life changing decisions. All that happens is any negativity about south australia gets slammed by the clan, which therefore provides other readers with a distorted reality of Adelaide.

Lauraburton92 make some real and genuine points but becasue it goes against the happy clan it gets rubbished,slammed and banned.

Ahhh good old Ads, some of her youth do feel the need to experience what the world has to offer. Adelaide is not tropical, it is more like the mediterranean. It's not for everyone, it does have clubs, many are small and tucked away, certainly my daughter enjoys a good nightlife. The clubs are in the centre of Adelaide, with one or two elsewhere. The suburbs are mainly residential having large pubs. There is nothing wrong with QLD but locals think QLDers are the most narrowminded and racist(in general) out of all the states. The one thing that we all have in common is that Ads took us in and didn't make us live in a regional centre which was not within a cooee diistance of a capital city. Ads is a good launching pad, come n try , if it's not for you then there is the rest of this country. Some of course settle nowhere and head for home.

Guest kangomik

There's no moderation on this....... you have lost the plot.

Your positions are no more, you cannot hold them, untenable.

Someone has posted their feelings, you have boxed them out, you have locked their post, then opened it and added then locked again.

you have been baited in............................. and all the time you have never been able to step back and say that this is someones opinion.

as moderators, your sick.................. you WILL NOT accept someone elses opinion.

You have screwed the forum up..

Someone has posted their feelings, you have boxed them out, you have locked their post, then opened it and added then locked again.

you have been baited in............................. and all the time you have never been able to step back and say that this is someones opinion.

as moderators, your sick.................. you WILL NOT accept someone elses opinion.

Unfortunately i know many people who dont come on here for that reason!!

Thats says alot!

Dan

Guest laurenburton92

Total truth!! I am so glad its not just me who thinks this!!

Thanks x

Guest laurenburton92

Who is the person who is actually in control of this forum!? Who put diane + tyke as moderators? This person should really have a look at this thread and see how the moderators are speaking to people with an opinion!