$90k and living on baked beans...

Guest BurgessFamily

Just on an aside, remember the more you earn, the greater the amount of taxes need to be paid, combined with little or no money from the government for family assistence, child benefits etc. Not saying either opinion is right or wrong, and not commenting on my own personal circumstance (as it's got nothing to do with anyone but me), however if both are working to make that money, then child care costs would need to be factorde in. One of our kids is in childcare at the moment, and we don't qualify for any help, and the cost for one day is around $80.00. So 2 kids for a few hours each day would be around $200.00 per week maybe? So just remember, the more you earn, the higher taxes are paid, due to increasing tax brackets, and the less support from the government.

On the flip side, if they know they have these outgoings, they they should budget accordingly. As we all should.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try living in a country where house prices have dropped over 20%, you're lucky if you've got a job, if you have no pay rises for x years with inflation on utilities and grub >5%. Come on get a grip try it here the 20% cost increases in gas alone is bad enough!

I think Oz is worth the risk!!!!

I understand the point you make but it can sound a bit flat to some who have made the move over here only to really struggle. Property prices have risen here dramatically in recent years and many migrants who once (realistically at the time) thought they'd have the house of their dreams have learnt to have rather more modest dreams once finally arriving. Those who have invested all they have in their home now see a situation where it might well dip dramatically in value (equally it might not but there's a very real chance of it happening - some have already experienced quite big losses) and they are paying interest rates of around 7%.

The interest rate here is high (RBA rate is 4.5% compared to 0.5% in UK but with a cash rate of around 7%) mainly because of inflation, which continues to rise, so I wouldn't look to here for low inflation!

While employment here is high, there is a far bigger percentage of part-time and casual jobs than in other developed countries, meaning it's not uncommon for people to have three or more jobs and plenty of uncertainty. It's one of those areas where the statistics look better than the reality that many people live with.

Some people find utility prices okay here, but for many (count me in this category) they are high and there's no doubt they're climbing ever higher. As for food, it's a common debate whether it's cheaper here or in the UK and there are always examples either way, but if you think it's going to be cheaper here then you might well be in for a shock.

Australia has its good points and there are plenty of reasons for making the move but I'd suggest that the points you've mentioned are not ones that show why Australia is 'worth the risk'.

Jim

OZ is expensive to live in,and so relatively is the UK.IMO though,if you have the chance to come here,you should take it.There are more opportunities once here to succeed than in the UK,and the future may well be much brighter for your offspring.In either Country life can be a financial struggle,but the future here is probably better than it is in the UK for many with young Families.Just my opinion,so don't get on my case por favor!;)

Guest Nige69
I understand the point you make but it can sound a bit flat to some who have made the move over here only to really struggle. Property prices have risen here dramatically in recent years and many migrants who once (realistically at the time) thought they'd have the house of their dreams have learnt to have rather more modest dreams once finally arriving. Those who have invested all they have in their home now see a situation where it might well dip dramatically in value (equally it might not but there's a very real chance of it happening - some have already experienced quite big losses) and they are paying interest rates of around 7%.

The interest rate here is high (RBA rate is 4.5% compared to 0.5% in UK but with a cash rate of around 7%) mainly because of inflation, which continues to rise, so I wouldn't look to here for low inflation!

While employment here is high, there is a far bigger percentage of part-time and casual jobs than in other developed countries, meaning it's not uncommon for people to have three or more jobs and plenty of uncertainty. It's one of those areas where the statistics look better than the reality that many people live with.

Some people find utility prices okay here, but for many (count me in this category) they are high and there's no doubt they're climbing ever higher. As for food, it's a common debate whether it's cheaper here or in the UK and there are always examples either way, but if you think it's going to be cheaper here then you might well be in for a shock.

Australia has its good points and there are plenty of reasons for making the move but I'd suggest that the points you've mentioned are not ones that show why Australia is 'worth the risk'.

Jim

Thanks for please remember the following,

I'm from the North of England not the South all we have here is call centers and warehouses or so it seems all the wealth is in the South East hence the SNP's success in Scotland the North South divide (more now than the German economy was divided at re-unification!)

This is growing wider and wider and with the debt reducing tax increases being regressive thus you pay more as a proportion of your income the less you earn such as VAT / fuel duty there is no sign of our economy recovering. Petrol has risen 60% food prices have risen whereby my weekly food bill has risen from £75 to £130 a week in about 9 months other costs are going through the roof namely clothes, etc.

There is a VERY bad feeling over here. I'm not even mentioning the overspill of immigrants from London and Eastern Europe which force wages down and swell unemployment. Our ER means that our import dependent economy effectively imports inflation as a weak pound increases import prices. When interest rates rise (they will have to big time to increase bond values) our FEW exports will be forced out of there limited European market we are then even more likely to double dip into recession then house prices down and so on and it does nowt but rain....

I work in IT in Finance and taught Economics please take my word for it the future here is worrying and getting worse quickly with Ireland and Greece needing bail outs and us fighting with a toy army all over the world.

Our annual debt interest repayment exceeds £40bn and that's forgetting about paying it off. Oz has secure export markets to Asia with increasing export commodity prices inflation in your instance is a sign of high living standards ours is something not seen since the 30's - Stagflation high unemployment & inflation.

I could carry on for ever I earn $55K here and would earn about $70-75K there so you tell me.

It's a great debate and one which I think you need to have lived in both countries please read the stats though on the ailing UK economy in Liverpool (10% unemployment and house prices down 7.5% in last year and average salary £20K) not London (4% unemployment house prices up 10% average income >£35000).

Sorry to whinge as I say thanks for the reply it really is appreciated honestly.

Cheers

Nige

Guest Nige69

We have no savings now but no debt - we spent our money when we got here on cars and the set-up costs, and we rent. We are on considerably less than $90K (don't think we'll ever get anywhere near that!!) and survive nicely IMHO with 4, soon to be 5 children, decent food, nice (rented) 4BR house in a lovely suburb.

We've had one trip back to the UK but there won't be any more for a fair while till we have the money again. That's years rather than months ahead, but you pays your money and makes your choice.

We have to decide how to spend our money, and we're nowhere near flash with cash but have found enough recently to decide we'd like to get a cleaner, and we eat beans by choice for lunch sometimes (I hate sandwiches!!!!!
:biglaugh:
). We also make provision for giving... so we manage fairly well I'd say.

Just saying that really as a perspective that may (or may not!) encourage someone in the UK wondering about the financial side of things. You choose what's important to you, spend your money on that and if you don't have the cash, you don't have to commit to pay for something you can't afford!!!

Brilliant, good on you.Ppositivity little or non of that in the UK!

Cheers

Nige

Guest BurgessFamily

Until very recently, the Australian Government was borrowing 100 MILLION dollars EVERY day! Amazing considering the population here, and the fact our economy is BOOMING. They are now trying to reverse this trend - hoping China's booming economy can pull us through.

Labor inherited $20 billion surplus, zero net debt and $60 billion for future fund. But now this is what Labor is delivering: $78 billion of net debt in 2010-11, which means $3,500 per person and borrowing $100 million every day.

214.jpg

Thanks for please remember the following,

I'm from the North of England not the South all we have here is call centers and warehouses or so it seems all the wealth is in the South East hence the SNP's success in Scotland the North South divide (more now than the German economy was divided at re-unification!)

This is growing wider and wider and with the debt reducing tax increases being regressive thus you pay more as a proportion of your income the less you earn such as VAT / fuel duty there is no sign of our economy recovering. Petrol has risen 60% food prices have risen whereby my weekly food bill has risen from £75 to £130 a week in about 9 months other costs are going through the roof namely clothes, etc.

There is a VERY bad feeling over here. I'm not even mentioning the overspill of immigrants from London and Eastern Europe which force wages down and swell unemployment. Our ER means that our import dependent economy effectively imports inflation as a weak pound increases import prices. When interest rates rise (they will have to big time to increase bond values) our FEW exports will be forced out of there limited European market we are then even more likely to double dip into recession then house prices down and so on and it does nowt but rain....

I work in IT in Finance and taught Economics please take my word for it the future here is worrying and getting worse quickly with Ireland and Greece needing bail outs and us fighting with a toy army all over the world.

Our annual debt interest repayment exceeds £40bn and that's forgetting about paying it off. Oz has secure export markets to Asia with increasing export commodity prices inflation in your instance is a sign of high living standards ours is something not seen since the 30's - Stagflation high unemployment & inflation.

I could carry on for ever I earn $55K here and would earn about $70-75K there so you tell me.

It's a great debate and one which I think you need to have lived in both countries please read the stats though on the ailing UK economy in Liverpool (10% unemployment and house prices down 7.5% in last year and average salary £20K) not London (4% unemployment house prices up 10% average income >£35000).

Sorry to whinge as I say thanks for the reply it really is appreciated honestly.

Cheers

Nige

Great points and well made. Being a Mancunian who's lived from the top of the UK to the bottom I get the regional differences - as I'm sure most of us do.

There are very different issues at play in the UK and Aus, no doubt about that, but beyond the macro economics the everyday experience can be very similar - if rising prices are hurting you because of inflation then it's cold comfort whether this is caused through rising commodity prices or the economy being on its uppers. If your hours have been reduced from full-time to part-time (as my wife's have), then it's cold comfort that statistics show strong work participation and low unemployment. If the interest rate on your mortgage has shot up in the last couple of years (and I got the official interest rate wrong earlier - it's now 4.75%, not 4.5%) then it's cold comfort that this is because the RBA is trying to keep a lid on inflation.

The point you make about what will happen to exports when interest rates do rise is exactly what is already happening here - the strong dollar has massively dented tourism and exports. Economically Aus is reliant on China buying its resources, and unfortunately the Chinese government has twigged this and is buying up land and companies here like there's no tomorrow in order to manage the situation itself.

It's not all doom and gloom here, don't get me wrong, but equally it's not the case that everything is rosey; SA sees very little of any commodity boom (SA has 0.2% of Aus mining, the lowest mainland state), plenty of retail outlets are going bust - bookstores look close to extinction (Borders, Angus & Robertson btoh recently gone), clothing stores are failing (Colorado has closed and SA's very own Ed Harry, although still trading for now, went into administration earlier this year) and those places that are still afloat have an air of desperation with their declining shopper numbers despite their continuous sales. Construction in SA has slowed and some big projects have been shelved. SA's economy declined in the first quarter of this year by more than that of Queensland which had suffered one natural disaster after another ...

Still, happy days :D

Jim

Guest Squareman

It's roundabouts and swings, no matter where you go in the world.

At least here, you can take your e-reader down to the beach and get some sun on your back. HEHE

Guest BurgessFamily
At least here, you can take your e-reader down to the beach and get some sun on your back. HEHE

you're going to expose your back? I'm sat in an office in the city with my fleece on. :xmasnorthpole:

It's 16C and the sun is shining! Most brits would welcome those conditions, especially in winter LOL

Yep, we were on Skype to the in-laws the other day and temperatures were similar here and there.....except it was evening here and midday there!

Guest BurgessFamily
Yep, we were on Skype to the in-laws the other day and temperatures were similar here and there.....except it was evening here and midday there!

I was talking to my dad several weeks back and mentioned the sun was out and it was about 20 degrees - he asked how do we cope in such heat!!!!? I had a jumper on at the time.

I was talking to my dad several weeks back and mentioned the sun was out and it was about 20 degrees - he asked how do we cope in such heat!!!!? I had a jumper on at the time.

Yep, the in-laws couldn't beleive we had our 'winter' garb on....and I had my fleece dressing gown over the top, too! Oh, and we've only been here since mid-March! It's gorgeous today so I've been taunting friends via email as I hear it's been raining there ;)

As for having beans......we only have them when they're on offer!!

Guest Adelaide_bound
No-one knows the bigger picture !!!!! Never judge before you know their story ........

Surely that's rather the point though Elaine - we do know their story, because they told the paper all about it :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NewInOz

I have paid out over $1,300 for electricity for two quarter's bills and that was despite my being frugal with the reverse-cycle air conditioning. Very rarely had it on and would use the air-con to heat the house up for half an hour in the early mornings.

Guest Asil

Dan I was wondering, do you have anyone in the home during the day?

I only ask, because the solar people I have spoken to say that this is the most expensive time to have appliances running. My point being (sorry for takin a while) if people at home during the day are running washing machines, dryers, irons etc in the day this may (just may) raise these costs.

Just a guess.

Wow...my highest leccy bill has been $180 for a qtr!! We are running our TV's/consoles/laptops cooking and running 2 reverse cycle units whenever we feel like it!!

Have no idea how so many ppl get bills of 1000's!!

Dan

Ours is the same. And we're not careful with usage.

Guest guest3462
Dan I was wondering, do you have anyone in the home during the day?

I only ask, because the solar people I have spoken to say that this is the most expensive time to have appliances running. My point being (sorry for takin a while) if people at home during the day are running washing machines, dryers, irons etc in the day this may (just may) raise these costs.

Just a guess.

I am home all day most days and with 3 small children I often have washer, dryer, tv, ds on charge and heating on; our leccy bill has never ever been so high. I don't think we even spend $1300 a year on utility bills!! our last winter quarter (last year) was $215. I don't expect it to be any more this time really. But we do pay our bills monthly by direct debit which gives you a further discount and almost always leaves us in credit.

Our reverse cycle heating is on most of the time, but the temperature is set to 22c. When it reaches that it cuts out automatically and comes back on as the temp drops again. We never notice the drop and the kids are warm all the time. This apparantly is the best and most efficient way to run the system.

We have gas solar power for the hot water and have the gas on for half an hour in early morning for showers and half an hour in the evening for bath time (winter only) and we always have have ample hot water for everyone.

Guest Teresa01
I am home all day most days and with 3 small children I often have washer, dryer, tv, ds on charge and heating on; our leccy bill has never ever been so high. I don't think we even spend $1300 a year on utility bills!! our last winter quarter (last year) was $215. I don't expect it to be any more this time really. But we do pay our bills monthly by direct debit which gives you a further discount and almost always leaves us in credit.

Our reverse cycle heating is on most of the time, but the temperature is set to 22c. When it reaches that it cuts out automatically and comes back on as the temp drops again. We never notice the drop and the kids are warm all the time. This apparantly is the best and most efficient way to run the system.

We have gas solar power for the hot water and have the gas on for half an hour in early morning for showers and half an hour in the evening for bath time (winter only) and we always have have ample hot water for everyone.

We also have reserve cycle but use it usually just for an hour in the mornings and for an hour of two in the evening in the same way that you do, we also have solar hot water and are not around much in the day at all, yet are winter bills last year were in excess of $800 a quarter. I wonder if its a difference in supplier price, we are with Truenergy, could I ask who you are with?

Cheers

Teresa