$90k and living on baked beans...

Guest BurgessFamily

I think it's easy to look at the initial figure quoted of $90k and think it sounds a lot but I'm guessing the whole article was meant to have an element of:

"OMG! Look at all the money this 'typical' family have...yet if even they find life expensive now, how will the pov rest of us survive in the future?!"

Do we know whether the figure was before paying tax or Super? How old are their kids? Any special requirements, illnesses, payments they are making? Surely before we can mock, we need more info?

I can't compare UK-SA prices but I do know that we struggle, sometimes more than others-particularly summer hols cos everything comes at once and we are down to one wage.

I think one of the biggest drains on our finances would be those pesky kids! When they were little and happy with some hot chips and the beach, it was heaps cheaper than now. :shocked: but there you go, our choice.

Life and money is a battle of balance for us. Don't care, am not going to b!tch about it but neither would I criticise anyone else's claims. If they think they're struggling, they might well be. Ultimately, who really cares?*

LC

*Not including those who are struggling to the point of poverty of course.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90k sounds like a lot to not be managing but I reckon a lot has to do with mortgages. My Father is in his 80s and he bought his current home in 1976 for 35k and that was about 3.5 times his annual salary. He wasn't a skilled work so his salary of 10k per year wasn't much really. Now his home would be worth $750k which would probably be 20 times his salary (on today's rates) if he were doing the same job. Homes have gone up a lot in comparison to salaries. Also he very rarely used credit (except for the mortgage). He would have been debt free in his 50s but it definitely was a real frugal way to live. I think we are more used to our comforts these days and what we think of as necessities would be much different to my parent's idea.

Guest Aussie pat

If I was the person quoted in the article and not coping on an income of $90,000 I would seek some urgent advice, or do some serious brain storming, re how I could reduce my outgoings. A lot of people are finding things tight and I realise bills are going up and up but others on less income are still managing without being quoted in the paper as living on baked beans.

I actually like baked beans but wouldn't want to have them as a main staple in my diet. We're actually finding our food bill hasn't really changed for years and we eat quite well as I cook a lot from scratch.

PS Had porridge for lunch today (my choice). It was lovely.

Guest RichandHelen

Between mortagage payments and car loans most australians are struggling. People didnt think twice about taking out a 20k - 50k loan out for a car. Now its coming back to bite them in the ass...

Guest Guest5035
Between mortagage payments and car loans most australians are struggling. People didnt think twice about taking out a 20k - 50k loan out for a car. Now its coming back to bite them in the ass...

All those Baked Beans will do that aswell

stevo:biglaugh:

Guest scmercer

Whllst living on baked beans may be a little extreme, $90K is not a huge amount to bring up a family here in Adelaide. With high food, utility and childcare bills there is little left over on a $90K income if you have a family.

People coming over who are deciding what they need to live on should really do their research, Adelaide had become an expensive place to live recently.

Guest Guest5035
With high food, utility and childcare bills there is little left over on a $90K income if you have a family.

we survive quite easily on that amount

stevo

We have no savings now but no debt - we spent our money when we got here on cars and the set-up costs, and we rent. We are on considerably less than $90K (don't think we'll ever get anywhere near that!!) and survive nicely IMHO with 4, soon to be 5 children, decent food, nice (rented) 4BR house in a lovely suburb.

We've had one trip back to the UK but there won't be any more for a fair while till we have the money again. That's years rather than months ahead, but you pays your money and makes your choice.

We have to decide how to spend our money, and we're nowhere near flash with cash but have found enough recently to decide we'd like to get a cleaner, and we eat beans by choice for lunch sometimes (I hate sandwiches!!!!!
:biglaugh:
). We also make provision for giving... so we manage fairly well I'd say.

Just saying that really as a perspective that may (or may not!) encourage someone in the UK wondering about the financial side of things. You choose what's important to you, spend your money on that and if you don't have the cash, you don't have to commit to pay for something you can't afford!!!

We have no savings now but no debt - we spent our money when we got here on cars and the set-up costs, and we rent. We are on considerably less than $90K (don't think we'll ever get anywhere near that!!) and survive nicely IMHO with 4, soon to be 5 children, decent food, nice (rented) 4BR house in a lovely suburb.

We've had one trip back to the UK but there won't be any more for a fair while till we have the money again. That's years rather than months ahead, but you pays your money and makes your choice.

We have to decide how to spend our money, and we're nowhere near flash with cash but have found enough recently to decide we'd like to get a cleaner, and we eat beans by choice for lunch sometimes (I hate sandwiches!!!!!
:biglaugh:
). We also make provision for giving... so we manage fairly well I'd say.

Just saying that really as a perspective that may (or may not!) encourage someone in the UK wondering about the financial side of things. You choose what's important to you, spend your money on that and if you don't have the cash, you don't have to commit to pay for something you can't afford!!!

Here here.....:)

HG

Guest BurgessFamily

you know if you're financially secure if you could managed if the main bread winner was unable or out of work for 3 months.

Guest ozarsenal

She lives in the Eastern suburbs - which is the most expensive side of Adelaide. Maybe she should move somewhere more affordable or live within her means?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rhymney

:goofy:try to economise in other areas eating well and healthily is very important for the children .has anybody any tips on reducing household bills ? for example using candles ,walking to the shops ,putting a timer in the shower ,not buying a newspaper,reusing rain water,:)

:goofy:try to economise in other areas eating well and healthily is very important for the children .has anybody any tips on reducing household bills ? for example using candles ,walking to the shops ,putting a timer in the shower ,not buying a newspaper,reusing rain water,:)
what about getting a wooden box to sleep in complete with lid, and get someone to throw some earth on top for insulation.;)

Guest Nige69

Try living in a country where house prices have dropped over 20%, you're lucky if you've got a job, if you have no pay rises for x years with inflation on utilities and grub >5%. Come on get a grip try it here the 20% cost increases in gas alone is bad enough!

I think Oz is worth the risk!!!!

Guest BurgessFamily
Try living in a country where house prices have dropped over 20%, you're lucky if you've got a job, if you have no pay rises for x years with inflation on utilities and grub >5%. Come on get a grip try it here the 20% cost increases in gas alone is bad enough!

I think Oz is worth the risk!!!!

just 20%? and the UK has ALREADY got an ETS, so no waiting for a carbon tax or minerals tax to push things even higher. Solar panels are being installed here left, right and centre, because the cost of Electricity is expected to go so high it will become a luxury item. :goofy:

When it comes to cost of living, it can be a case of "out fo the pan, and into the fire".

Some parts of Australia have seen property prices DROP by up to 7.1% in the last 12 months - and parts of our economy are BOOMing - hell knows what would happen if there was a slowdown - thank god we have full employment here and everyone is busy working. :notworthy:

Still if it helps to view Australia as paradise, carry on. :biglaugh:

(I'm glad we're not here for financial benefit, just the warm sunshine all year round)

Guest Guest5035
thank god we have full employment here and everyone is busy working. :notworthy:

(I'm glad we're not here for financial benefit, just the warm sunshine all year round)

FULL employment and warm sunshine all year round.......where do you live??

Stevo

Guest BurgessFamily
Utilities are cheap here in oz. We pay far less here than we did in the UK??!!

I guess we didn't use much electricity in the UK. :o

Guest BurgessFamily
FULL employment and warm sunshine all year round.......where do you live??

Stevo

Ok, CLOSE to FULL employment. ;)

Glenn Stevens, RBA Chief, in justifying the next rate rise, said on 21 June 2011:

"We are close to full employment and Australian average incomes are higher than ever."

...and don't people think the sun always shines here? :goofy: