Graffiti

jtct

I hate the graffiti that keeps appearing on fences, road signs and any pale, flat surface. It costs a fortune to clean off and the poor volunteers who come out are kept busy.

At least the 'Yarn Bombers' don't cause permanent damage and their efforts bring a smile to people's faces.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/yarn-bomb-craze-hits-the-port/story-e6frea83-1226401027612

• 1 month later...

Onkaparinga council and volunteers are so quick off the mark - its never around for long, thankfully but they should have to waste their time clearing up this mess.

Who are these morons? It's just mindless vandalism and it makes my blood boil. There's very little that annoys me about Adelaide but that's one thing that is guaranteed to make me fume.

Who are these morons? It's just mindless vandalism and it makes my blood boil. There's very little that annoys me about Adelaide but that's one thing that is guaranteed to make me fume.

I think the tagging is like a dog marking its area/ property. It isn't pretty and can lead to some nasty arguments / fights when one tag is lined by another person's tag.

That said, there are some gorgeous 'pieces' (bigger, colourful, more intricate pieces of art) out there which I really like...but which get painted over all too quickly. Some years ago, Banksy, the famous British graffiti artist who now sells his work for thousands, visited Melbourne (poor guy lol). He left some fine examples of stencil graffiti which, after a few years I think, became worth a fair bit. One of his last pieces was seen as worthless graffiti and removed by the council's anti-graffiti crew. It made the papers and one reported that the council were considering employing an 'anti-anti-graffiti crew' to reinstate what was now seen as artwork! Don't think they did, but I'm not sure; I just loved the idea of an anti-anti-graffiti crew!

As to the 'who'...the ones I know are kids (and it seems as though each new Year 8 has new crews starting up) or guys who were part of a crew when at school. It's not pretty and the silly tagging (just their 'name' scrawled over anything that is stationary long enough) is vandalism for sure but knowing it is kids makes it seem less threatening - though you have to wonder how the heck they get their hands on sprays knowing that shops keep their stock caged up with a minimum purchasing age. Mind you, look at the bottlo's or tobacconists that sell to minors...:sad:..but that's a different argument.

LC

Guest zidden

I did notice the amount of graffiti when I was over last month. However compared to the picnic tables and parks that have been set fire to, and the numerous dumped couches and house furniture then I must say it is significantly un-noticeable.

When we first came over it really wasnt that bad at all, we use to comment about the play parks being in tact and hardly any graffiti around.

I liked the idea that Bunnings and alike lock the spray cans up so people have to ask for it.

Unfortunately things really seem to have got worse in the last couple of years,

but as said above the council do a good job and are on the ball and get rid of it very quickly.

Kim

:wubclub: