Looking for reccie rental near Port Noarlunga

guspjmh

I think it's hard for people in the UK to appreciate distances between southern suburbs and northern suburbs, or eastern and western here in Adelaide. Looking at a map doesn't tell the whole story, and doesn't take into account speed limits, traffic lights, and places where the traffic is notoriously bad at certain times of the day. I would always advise someone coming over for a reccie to base themselves as centrally as possible until they know for sure where they will be working. Have heard of a lot of employers who disregard people's CVs for jobs if they think the person would have too far a commute - based on their own (local) experiences - rather than assuming someone wouldn't apply for a particular job if the journey was too far for them personally!

On the other hand, a lot of the furnished properties - particularly those owned by people on this site - seem to be towards the southern end, perhaps because buliding land and property there is cheaper and more plentiful. There are a few that are more centrally located, but unless someone is familiar with Adelaide and it's layout, as we who have been here a while are, the distances might not look so great on a map.

I agree with this Diane.You live in the North and love it there,i live in the South and love it here.Can't be bothered with the imaginary North/South divide bickering you sometimes get on here.The points you make about distance,jobs and traffic,commuting time and speed limits,roadworks etc are spot on.On the Map,compared to reality are two very different things.Adelaide is a huge,sprawling Area and commuting can be an issue if you work mega miles from where you live.Best of luck to the original poster for the future.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this Diane.You live in the North and love it there,i live in the South and love it here.Can't be bothered with the imaginary North/South divide bickering you sometimes get on here.The points you make about distance,jobs and traffic,commuting time and speed limits,roadworks etc are spot on.On the Map,compared to reality are two very different things.Adelaide is a huge,sprawling Area and commuting can be an issue if you work mega miles from where you live.Best of luck to the original poster for the future.

I will say this hand on heart, anyone who decides where they want to live having never been to the place is 100% bonkers, every one of you.

Thanks Sue, Adelaide just keeps getting bigger and bigger and is no longer the "20 minute city" it used to be. My daughter left my car keys at a party she went to in Gawler the other weekend, and it took me nearly 40 minutes to drive there to get them! Actually the real Adelaide divide is an East/West one - as someone who lives in the east and works in the west, I do know what I'm talking about (sometimes!!)

I will say this hand on heart, anyone who decides where they want to live having never been to the place is 100% bonkers, every one of you.

I doubt anyone has decided 100%, but surely it is wise to do some research, knowing what you want and what certain areas have to offer? Obviously, preferences are subject to change on visiting, but most people emigrate with clear goals in terms of quality of life in mind, researching which areas fit these isn't bonkers, it's logical.

Guest Guest75
Next question guys!

What are the 'do not miss' things to do on my reccie?

Drive around the Entire Adelaide suburbs!!! Adelaide has something for everyone but not often does she immedeately reveal her charms.

Might want to open a bank account, there are some banks with whom you can do this online but you have more choice whilst here.

Look at houses and definitely long term rentals to give you a "feel" of what to expect.

Not sure what line of work you are in but try and make a few contacts in your area of work.

Do put aside a couple of really "Holiday days" and enjoy them.

Sure lots of others will have suggestions.

Edited by Guest75
Shpeeling

In answer to your other questions, Adelaide has so much to offer it really depends what you want the hills are great, but then you could be nearer the beach or the city, it really has so much to offer, Port Noarlunga is a very nice area close to lots of nice beaches you really cannot go wrong, we are probably gonna come down that way, we used to live in the North Eastern suburbs also very nice xx

I work in Pharma sales - I have got quite a few email contacts already, but most recruiters seem to be based in Sydney or Melbourne and they deal with Adelaide too. I have one contact who is local and I intend to meet up with her if I can. Any help appreciated here! The difficulty is, because I have no set timeframe for the full move as it is dependent on my house sale, I don't want to waste peoples time.

I intend to drive around the suburbs, but we are going to have more than a few holiday days!!! I have a bank account set up already, I just need to pop in and validate it with ID when I arrive.

What about funs things to do as a family (part of the reason for this reccie is to 'sell' Adelaide to my nervous wife!!!)

sorry but i do not know much about Pharma sales there are heaps of agencies in Adelaide but from experience they are not much help sorry but I go my job through The Advertiser the main paper over there - what kind of things do you like, the Barossa is definitely worth a visit if you like wine, there are heaps of conservation/ park land areas to look at, on the way up to the Barossa you have Gorge Road Wildlife park, more beach side you have Glenelg which is nice, you can get the tram from the city they have a big water park there, Adelaide City itself is very nice to visit with lots of park lands around, there are heaps of festivals going on all the time, always something going on Tour Down Under, Clipsal 500 , Victor Harbour another lovely place to see penquins and the whales - we absolulely love Kadina which is the Yorke Peninsula, hence the name I use lol - the Eyre Peninsula is also great where you can see the sharks / tuna fish , If your wife likes shopping there are heaps of malls to check out as they are known over there, the area you are thinking of going has some amazing beaches you cannot really want for more and nothing is that hard to get to as the transport is fantastic, get yourself a car and your laughing and hardly ever a traffic jam !!!! :biglaugh: sun, sea, and BBQs what more could you want x

Next question guys!

What are the 'do not miss' things to do on my reccie?

Do you like shopping, beaches or the countryside type places? For beaches we particularly like Horseshoe Bay down near Victor Harbour (which is also worth a look round). For shopping/cafe culture check out Glenelg. This is very much a seaside type place with loads of stuff for both kids and grown ups. If you go in to Glenelg make sure you go round the harbour and try taking a trip on the tram in to the city. I'd also check out the parade at Norwood for loads of fab shops and take a trip in to North Adelaide for a meal at Outback Jacks. Not for the food but because they have a room with playstations in for the kids, although the food is pretty nice as well.

You should definitely take a trip in to the city and the surrounding parklands. The museum is worth a visit, as it the art gallery. For a more domestic type shopping experience walk down Rundle Mall or try Marion shopping centre. If you want to go further afield check out Tea Tree Plaza. It doesn't really offer anything that Marion hasn't got, but it's in a different part of town.

For greenerey and countryside try Belair National Park, Cleland conservation park and Morialta conservation park. Take a trip out to Mount Lofty and the Mount Lofty botanic gardens. Drive in to the hills and visit some of the towns around there - Harndorf and Stirling are both nice. Check out Mount Crawford forest, thew Barossa Valley, Clare Valley and Mclaren Vale.

Generally get out and about and see as much of the place as you can. And have a great time!

Guest Guest75

Long shot this...........

Do some market research in you Pharma Sales field while here if possible.

Some interstate companies believe there is not much of a market here in SA and will not have full time agents here.

Prove em' wrong ,impress and get the territory.

I work in Pharma sales - I have got quite a few email contacts already, but most recruiters seem to be based in Sydney or Melbourne and they deal with Adelaide too. I have one contact who is local and I intend to meet up with her if I can. Any help appreciated here! The difficulty is, because I have no set timeframe for the full move as it is dependent on my house sale, I don't want to waste peoples time.

I intend to drive around the suburbs, but we are going to have more than a few holiday days!!! I have a bank account set up already, I just need to pop in and validate it with ID when I arrive.

What about funs things to do as a family (part of the reason for this reccie is to 'sell' Adelaide to my nervous wife!!!)

MY ex next door neighbour was in Pharma sales. That probably doesn't really help but I thought I would share. He gave me lots of samples....

The weather here in the UK is so dreadful I can't wait to get out there!

I've got a long list of things to do, although lounging by beach & pool is near the top - will the weather at this time of year be nice enough for it? (March 24th-april 8th).

the hottest time is pretty much Dec to Feb, but you still get some lovely days in March/April, coming from the weather here in the UK you will find it fantastic lol xx its a perfect time to be going cause it is quite a shock when its really hot coming from the UK - you will be eased in a bit more gradual xx

the hottest time is pretty much Dec to Feb, but you still get some lovely days in March/April, coming from the weather here in the UK you will find it fantastic lol xx its a perfect time to be going cause it is quite a shock when its really hot coming from the UK - you will be eased in a bit more gradual xx

My wife lived in Florida for a while, so her heat requirements are higher than mine! Is March/April weather hot enough to sunbathe or is it a bit too cool do you think?

Guest Guest75
My wife lived in Florida for a while, so her heat requirements are higher than mine! Is March/April weather hot enough to sunbathe or is it a bit too cool do you think?

They can be very pleasant months indeed without the high temps.

Please be aware that this part of the world is possibly the skin cancer capitol of the world and the sun damages ALL year around.

So sunbathing here is a no,no!!!

I have had one skin cancer removed and due another soon!!

You could try Urimbirra zoo which isn't too far off Victor Harbor. We went there and maybe a good size for a young family in tow.

By the way I have been instructed to support The Crows by one friend and The Port by another........I am leaning towards The Crows just because they have the Glenelg colours in their kit.....stupid I know!

Marion shopping centre is worth a visit.

The weather here in the UK is so dreadful I can't wait to get out there!

I've got a long list of things to do, although lounging by beach & pool is near the top - will the weather at this time of year be nice enough for it? (March 24th-april 8th).

We came over last April for a holiday and had some lovely warm days. Warm enough for the kids to play in the sea and for me to take my cardigan off anyway (takes a lot). As Tyke says you are unlikely to get any really hot days like in summer but it has the potential to be nicer than a UK summer. Not guarenteed though.

Guest Guest75
You don't need to tell me - I hate sunbathing! My wife does use sun lotion, but she loves to lie and read a book in the sun.

Minimum suncream is Factor 30!!!!!!