Hobbies

srg73

Recreational Flying. Whilst not current at the moment, I'm still very interested in what was once called Ultralight flying. These days, our aircraft are very much more sophisticated and some can out perform GA (general aviation) planes such as Cessna's and Moonie's. Until times change and I can afford to fly again, I pass my time designing aircraft that I could build,.... one day.

As now.jpg

If any of you are interested in this as a 'hobby', take off (deliberate pun) to Aldinga airfield on a fine weekend and enjoy the comings and goings of student who are learning to fly. There's a great cafe' and sheltered area's to sit out of the sun. A TIF (Trial Instructional Flight) costs about $200 and for that you get some ground instruction and then a flight, in the pilots seat. Once airborne, you fly the plane. The instructor lands it.

As an aside to this, I'm gradually reading my way through our 800+ book library that my wife has built up. (her brother was once the CEO of Doubleday Books in Sydney)

Deskpilot.jpg

S8001562.jpg

Twin-boom pusher2.jpg

Front quarter single wing.jpg

Fishing for me - and boating which is nearly a separate hobby.

There's a fine line between insanity and just stood there with a stick and piece of string!

I am not a fisherman, but guess I will be able to prove it one way or the other as I am off on a corporate fishing weekend on Friday, maybe I will just fish in the esky instead!

Guest MandiMR2

Having only been here exactly 2 weeks today, our main new hobby has been drinking our morning coffee & evening beer/wine outside in the warmth & getting lost in the city visiting various organisations getting our new life started & in order lol...although we are going to Sydney on Thurs as my OH Leigh has entered the Australian rock crawling nationals.

Great pics Doug, we may pop down there one weekend. Leigh is also into flying, but of the model variety!

Guest Claire-n-tel
There's a fine line between insanity and just stood there with a stick and piece of string!

I am not a fisherman, but guess I will be able to prove it one way or the other as I am off on a corporate fishing weekend on Friday, maybe I will just fish in the esky instead!

I don't like the thought of fishing for sport but always had a thought that i'd like to catch and eat my own dinner.......having caught my very first fish last week i've never been so happy to find out something was 1cm to small and got to set it free........don't think i'll be trying that again!

I don't like the thought of fishing for sport but always had a thought that i'd like to catch and eat my own dinner.......having caught my very first fish last week i've never been so happy to find out something was 1cm to small and got to set it free........don't think i'll be trying that again!

Well Claire, I bet your glad Tel measured up and was not 1cm too small when you caught him:wink:

These old codgers are into bowls, following the Crows and Cricket at the Oval (him) and quilting, yoga and voluntary work (her) All new for us + lots of travel/sight-seeing, sea swimming and wine-tasting. Complete change of lifestyle for us both and we're loving every minute of it.

Left behind? soccer and card-making/scrapbooking

Fishing for me - and boating which is nearly a separate hobby.

I went fishing...once. Caught me a couple of carp and then gave up whilst I was ahead..................boring.

I also gave up sailing when I left the UK and now consider myself too old to be safe in a boat.

Last sail 7 [800x600].jpg

My 21ft Debutante sloop on the River Crouch, sooo missed.

Last sail 6 [800x600].jpg

My son gave up drumming because we couldn't find a good teacher in our area.

Daughter is very happy at Theatre Bugs, didn't have something like that where we lived before.

Myself and hubby rediscovered dancing, used to be a problem because we didn't like having a babysitter every week. But now we go to Moana Pioneers Hall on Friday evening. Kids come along and enjoy themselves with other kids in the kitchen or the playground near the beach. We've done things like tango, salsa, boogiewoogie and disco. It's so nice to have that time together again without needing a babysitter, and as it's usually a five-week block we can take a break if we want to without having to wait for a year to start again. I think the difference with before is that this is very relaxed, kids enjoy themselves, you can rock up if you want to and no-one blames you if you skip a few lessons.

Otherwise I wish I knew more about fishing. Never fished before, as I don't like taking it out of the water only to put it back in. Easier to just leave it alone ;-). But for consumption sounds better. I know how to clean them, grandfather used to go out a lot and brought stuff home, but I just wouldn't how to catch anything!

Well there is no 'fine line' you have to be insane to fish!:wacko: though I did win the most fish caught at 11 (the biggest yellow belly at 51cm too) got myself an esky and trophy, the trophy will stand next to my dominoes one from the late 70's, looks like the wife's fancy teapot collection is going to move down a shelf now.

But still cannot see the big draw in fishing, 3 sessions out on the water with an average for me of less than 1 fish per hour, with some guys only catching one for the whole weekend, even with Australia's number 1 bass fisherman as a guide/instructor! I'm sure there must be better ways to waste one's time:SLEEP:.

Well, if anyone fancies taking up guitar my hubby is an excellent guitar teacher! He has been teaching for about 15 years now and tutors all ages, electric and acoustic, and runs evening classes at Woodcroft Community Centre for adults.

I don't have time for hobbies, I have a 3 1/2 year old granddaughter :wubclub::wubclub::wubclub::wubclub::cute: