V-Bird

Fingers (in the bush)

There appears to be a point, a certain distance form the Adelaide Metro Area, where approaching drivers lift their index finger as you pass them, I assume to acknowledge the fact that you have gone bush. I usually begin to experience this phenomenon somewhere around Warooka down the Yorke Peninsular.

Not all drivers do it though, so sometimes I take the initiative and finger them first, but if they don't finger me back I feel aggrieved. Conversely, if I get fingered, and I don't respond in time, I feel bad.

So this begs the question; Do you wait to be fingered before you finger them, or do you finger them first hoping that they finger you back ?

What's the correct protocol here ?

Maybe I'm lucky, but most people give me more than one finger. :-o

Personally I can't be bothered most of the time. If I were off in the outback maybe, but people do it not that far from Adelaide.

Guest Claire-n-tel
    Maybe I'm lucky, but most people give me more than one finger.

hmmmm.......and thats what got you where you are now Blossom!:shocked:

Guest Guest12727
    There appears to be a point, a certain distance form the Adelaide Metro Area, where approaching drivers lift their index finger as you pass them, I assume to acknowledge the fact that you have gone bush. I usually begin to experience this phenomenon somewhere around Warooka down the Yorke Peninsular.

Not all drivers do it though, so sometimes I take the initiative and finger them first, but if they don't finger me back I feel aggrieved. Conversely, if I get fingered, and I don't respond in time, I feel bad.

So this begs the question; Do you wait to be fingered before you finger them, or do you finger them first hoping that they finger you back ?

What's the correct protocol here ?

Do you mean the, 'lift one finger off the steering wheel up and down' OR the ' lift whole hand, back of hand facing forward and raise middle finger' gesture?

I'm at a loss as to what you are talking about! we have our first road trip planned for the Easter break (Coober Peedy, onto Uluru then back again) so am keen to understand these things prior to going into the outback so please explain!

Guest Claire-n-tel
    I'm at a loss as to what you are talking about! we have our first road trip planned for the Easter break (Coober Peedy, onto Uluru then back again) so am keen to understand these things prior to going into the outback so please explain!

You'll pick it up Tony!......it's kind of a "hello" or "thanks" or "theres a cow in the road back there" but can't quite get up the energy to actually raise a hand!

Thinking about it when i worked in the NT i did it when driving unsealled roads, not sure if it is an automatic safety thing (in which case it didn't help much!) or just something you pick up?!

Guest Guest75

I am so trying to resist some quips in this thread...................:arghh:

glad its not just me Tyke! With the title of the thread I thought it might be some bizzare swingers code that country folk signal their intentions......The duelling banjos spring to mind and it's got me worried!!!

not sure if it is an automatic safety thing (in which case it didn't help much!) or just something you pick up?!

When we stayed at a friend's place on KI, she told us that lifting the finger showed you were local. Or from somewhere rural, of course.

LC

On the drive to Coober we found about two thirds of drivers do it - I sorta think it's a "hello, we are both in the middle of nowhere, everything is fine" gesture. You'll settle into your own groove on the road.

As a long time resident of the Yorke Peninsula, I can tell you with authority that it is a farmers, countrypersons, way of saying hello. It is nothing to do with the general use of a finger!!! in the city. They use it in the same way as they doff their hats in the street, an acknowledgement, in a friendly way, that you are there.

It took me some time to get used to, but if I drove past a neighbour, without lifting my hand slightly, my husband tells me I was considered very rude. Like walking past someone you know in the street. I think the use of a single finger is just a lazy form of lifting your hand while still holding the steering wheel. Just lift your hand when you pass, if they don't respond, they have the problem.

Edited by cliffy

Guest Abyss

as above,,when I used to tour the country travelling about, everyone used to wave, it was especially nice in the more remote areas...i also found when we stopped on the side of the road for any reason, people would also stop if they were passing and ask if we were ok! It, in turn, inspired me to do the same, and found my self stopping and helping people who had broke down, and were stranded, its a nice thing :)

Now I drive a VW camper, we always give each other a good finger blasting ;-D

Guest Guest75

It's really is great Aussie etiquette.

Doffing my flat cap ( I'm from Yorkshire) has not has the same effect.:biglaugh:

Same here on the stopping and helping folk - naturally do it.:cute:

Couldn't let this one go without a comment.

I was brought up on a farm in Victoria, but have lived in the city since adulthood. Living in the rural areas, when you're driving around, you are likely to know the person you are passing, so it is a friendly greeting, and easier than lifting your entire hand off the wheel to wave. Even if you don't know the person, it is still a gesture of hello.

Still, when we go back to the rural areas, usually the older people and farmers 'lift the finger' to acknowledge us and say hello. I must admit I don't tend to myself, although will 'reply' if someone else does first.

I was reminded of this last night, when I was driving home (in the city) and saw a neighbor outside. We always acknowledge our neighbours, whether driving or walking, if we see them on our travels. Although, if in the car, it will be a proper wave.

I believe it is just a courtesy to say hello, rather than saying you are in the bush, or watch out for anything. (That's when you flash your lights.)

Cheers,

TBA