What will $550k buy us?

SpongeBob

You must realise that no one can answer that. Without more info. Where do you want to live? Where will you be working? Etc.

it would buy you a three bed with some land further out from the city but in the suburbs close to the city you wouldn't even get a nice 2 bed townhouse for that.

If we make the move we will will have around $550k to buy a 3 bed house. We would like land if possible, we are not beach people so that isn't a priority.

If you would want land, $550K would buy you about 700-1000 acres near Swan Reach - just about 90 minutes commute to Adelaide. River Murray, plenty of wildlife, sustainable lifestyle, no noise or pollution.

Swan Reach - just about 90 minutes commute to Adelaide. .

I know nothing about what land is available in the Swan Reach are, but I do know it's not "just about 90 minutes commute to Adelaide"! :smile:

Quite like the 255,000 Mars Bars idea, although obviously it would have to be 110,000 yummy Jokerz bars for me!

LC

I know nothing about what land is available in the Swan Reach are, but I do know it's not "just about 90 minutes commute to Adelaide"! :smile:

Quite like the 255,000 Mars Bars idea, although obviously it would have to be 110,000 yummy Jokerz bars for me!

LC

There was nothing about "a lot of chocolate" in the request. Land was only strong preference.

On the other hand, near Swan Reach there are so many unsurfaced roads so nobody would even think to control speed limits over there. 90 minutes it is for drivers who underuse the pedal on the right and do not realise that only cowards could have invented brakes.

Edited by NicF
Deleted offensive comment

If we make the move we will will have around $550k to buy a 3 bed house. We would like land if possible, we are not beach people so that isn't a priority.

If I had $550,000 and wanted a house with land away from the coast I would be looking at McLaren Vale, Willunga...prices are rising though.

I have a friend who bought a massive place in the Myponga region. Myponga is just a little further out past Sellicks. The entire Fleurieu region (further south) is stunning.

Well it will buy you a 4 bed on 5 acres in Murray Bridge but it looks a bit tired. You can search on realestate.com and specify how much land etc you want in the search criteria. That will give you an idea. Jobs in country schools are possibly easier to get. depends what you mean by in education though, will you be looking for primary school jobs or a university post for example? Do consider commute times. Again you can use google maps for this, but remember in rush hour it takes longer and public transport can be poor out of the metropolitan area.

Have a look at www.countryestates.com.au - lots of properties with land there - have a map of South Australia handy while you look to get a good idea of proximity to various other places.

How about this lovely place? Birdwood is about half an hour from Tea Tree Plaza, and you can get the OBahn into the city from there which takes about 20 minutes http://countryestates.com.au/listings/residential_sale-222087-cockatoo-valley/

Edited by Diane