Christmas day set to be a hot one

snifter

Looks like a fire ban could well be in place also which means solid fuel BBQ's could not be used in certain areas. New arrivals not familiar with heat wave and hot weather warnings etc should familiarise themselves with things :) Info should be on the CFS website. Stock up on Zooper Doopers :)

New forecast for Christmas Day says temperature will top 40C in Adelaide

index&t_product=AdelaideNow&td_device=desktop

The Advertiser

38 minutes ago

index&t_product=AdelaideNow&td_device=desktop

GET ready to swelter — a top of 40C is now forecast for Christmas Day in Adelaide amid a predictions of a heatwave for the state over the festive period.

The Bureau of Meterology is forecasting five days over 35C, including 40C on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

There’s a chance of a shower on Boxing Day and December 27 — but that day still carries a forecast of 37C.

The Bureau also says heatwave conditions are looming across the south east of Australia.

A heatwave occurs when three or more days of high maximum and minimum temperatures hit that are unusual for that location.

The forecast for Adelaide this week

December 21: 26C

December 22: 31C

December 23: 36C

December 24: 37C

December 25: 40C

December 26: 40C, with a small chance of possible rain

December 27: 37C, with showers predicted

Total fire bans are looking more than likely, which could hit people’s Christmas barbie plans.

The Country Fire Service has already warned solid-fuel barbies will be banned if total fire bans are declared on Christmas Day, and it’s already too late to get a permit from the CFS.

Electric or gas-fired barbies would be allowed but only under very strict conditions.

Those in districts where a fire ban is not called will be allowed to use solid fuel barbecues without a permit.

CFS director of preparedness operations, Leigh Miller, said gas and electric cookers could still be used on a total fire ban day if they were within 15m of a house, had a 4m clearance around them and a responsible person was on hand to extinguish any fire.

Mr Miller said any total fire bans for Christmas Day would be announced after 4pm on Saturday, Christmas Eve.

Information on the bans will be available on the CFS website, cfs.sa.gov.au.

“In the meantime we encourage people to think about alternatives, such as cooking with gas or electricity,” Mr Miller said.

Mr Miller said to obtain a permit, people will now need to contact their local council but should bear in mind that offices may be short-staffed leading up to Christmas so it may not be possible to process all applications.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/its-too-late-to-get-fireban-permit-to-use-your-weber-and-other-solidfuel-barbecues-on-christmas-day/news-story/c1b6c4768bf6dd525b285580bb186a04

We're doing our usual turkey sandwiches on the beach for lunch but because my sister and her family are over visiting they're expecting a barbecue for tea so that's what I'm planning. Steaks and plenty of salad - and maybe just a prawn or two... I'm still trying to decide between ice-cream pudding or pavlova for dessert though.

:xmas12: Have a Merry Christmas everyone :xmas12:

We're doing our usual turkey sandwiches on the beach for lunch but because my sister and her family are over visiting they're expecting a barbecue for tea so that's what I'm planning. Steaks and plenty of salad - and maybe just a prawn or two... I'm still trying to decide between ice-cream pudding or pavlova for dessert though.

:xmas12: Have a Merry Christmas everyone

Ice cream pudding or pavlova sounds a lot better than the traditional heavy Christmas pudding. Coupled with a salad on a hot day it couldn't be better.