SamWise

Me and my partner moving to Adelaide in 2nd week of Nov 2017

Me and my partner are moving to Adelaide from Dubai in the 2nd week of November and are looking for short term (or long term) rental places not too far from the city (with convenient access to public transport).

Can someone refer some suitable places or websites for a 1 bed or studio rental. It seems that onset of Summer is a peak / busy time and rentals are hard to come by.

Also, what documents /proof, etc. do I need to get a place on rent? Any suggestions are welcome.

Welcome to the forum.  I've moved your post because it's not really a rental available, but if you look through that section you may find a suitable short term let.  Alternatively have a look at air BnB or Stayz.com.au or just google self catering holiday accomodation. For a longer term let have a look on realestate.com.au.  Most long term lets require you to go and view in person before you can rent them so you are best to take a holiday let somewhere for a couple of weeks while you find somewhere longer term.  Use google maps to check where areas are in relation to the city.  You can also use it to find public transport options.

Thank you NicF for the information.  Sorry for posting it under the wrong topic, thanks for moving it to the correct one. Will consider your advise.

Hello Samwise  look online for rental agencies online and get in touch with them by email / phone some are familiar names, our house is rented through Century 21 

Hi sam, having just moved here I was in a similar situation. Initially I booked an air bnb in north adelaide for 2 weeks. It was cheaper than a hotel and allowed us to cook/ wash our clothes etc. I've now moved to a rental. For this you will need enough money for a bond (6 weeks rent) and then usually 2-4 weeks rent in advance. They wanted proof of identity passport and driving licence, references  from previous rental (if available) and proof of earnings e.g. Visa/ employment contract so that you can pay it. Check out the websites domain.au or realestate.au to see what's available! 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Carol from Vista Financial
      How long does it take after moving to Oz to secure a mortgage? Short answer: it depends.
      I can see the rolling of the eyes from here.
      Different banks have different criteria, you need to tick the boxes. However long that takes, that is how long you have to wait.
      There are no hard fast rules on how long you ‘should wait’ to buy a house but there are some important things to know.
      The process itself is super quick
      The actual purchase process here is a lot quicker than in the UK. The never ending chain of teetering disappointment is very rare here. Property is bought and sold within weeks.
      Find out how much the banks will lend you, find a suitable house, put an offer down, exchange contracts, settle and move in. From start to finish in Australia you can be putting down an offer on a house today and potentially be moving in 6 weeks later. It can be that quick.
      Are you actually ready to buy?
      Why do you want to buy? Are you in a rush to buy? Why? Do you know the exact state and suburb you want to live in? Will the kids be accepted into the school there? Are you happy with that school? Is your commute to work a nightmare? Is it a dodgy area?
      If you have just arrived, renting is a great way to get to know Australia and trial out living in different places so you know exactly where you want to buy. The last thing you want to do is buy in an area soon after arriving only to realise your dream location is on the other side of the country.
      Where to start
      Ok, let’s assume you are set on buying as soon as possible. The first step is figuring out what it will cost overall and where is the money coming from.
      If you have enough to cover the shortfall between what it costs and what the bank will lend, you are good to go.
      If you don’t, then you need a plan on how to change that. Do you need to save more? Or do you need to wait for some circumstance to change so the banks are more favourable towards you (e.g. do you need to complete probation? Does the bank require you to have worked for longer than 6 months?).
      If you are a PR or Australian Citizen with 20% deposit (plus costs) then happy days, the banking world welcomes you with open arms.
      If not, don’t give up! There are so many different banks and policies out there so you don’t know exactly until you have had a professional unequivocally tell you so AND (most importantly) what you need to do to change that. If you are a temporary resident most banks may only lend you 60 – 70% these days. BUT if you purchase with someone who is PR or a Citizen then it can be a whole different ball game. It all drills down to finding the best fit for you.
      One last thing.
      Comprehensive Credit Reporting (CCR)-  Australia is catching up
      If you are coming from the UK you probably already know all about credit scoring and the importance of having a clean bill of financial health. Australia has technically had CCR in place since 2014, but the uptake has been sluggish. This is about to change and may be a rude awakening for a lot of Aussies. From 1 July 2019 all major banks are required to share 100% of their data with credit reporting bodies, so this will become more and more relevant here, as it is in the UK, in the coming years.
      As of right now, lenders are slowing sharing their data and eventually will use this as a tool in their lending decision making. So whilst I wouldn't run to get an Aussie credit card, it is not a bad idea to think about ways to start developing your credit rating here, because it will be a brand new file. Setting up with an Australian phone plan is a good start, and if you are renting first even paying your utilities bills on time can help build up your score.
      Keep in mind that yes, a good credit score can help, but some banks value it more than others and it is not the be all and end all at the moment. What is more important is knowing which bank to go with and what is best for your particular circumstance. 
      Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask!
    • By LaurenC
      Hi, We own a property which I have often thought would be perfect for new arrivals. 
      When I arrived (6yrs ago now) I rented a short term let through century 21 for 2months while we found our feet, gained employment and got a feel for different suburbs. 
      I am wondering if anyone on here has properties that they let our short term to new arrivals.... what are the pros and cons? and can you offer any advice, hints tips and suggestions to help me make a decision on this.
      My logic is that if we keep it as a short term rental we will always have a base that family and friends could come and use too (if we don't have enough room at our place) I also thought that new arrivals may be a better quality of tenant (!? but tell me if I'm wrong) 
      Very interested to hear from anyone that has some insight.
      Thanks.
    • By MacLeods
      I have a lovely self contained studio apartment  to let on short term basis from December 17 in the leafy suburb of O’Halloran Hill.
      It’s ideal for a couple or single who has newly arrived and a great place to start your new life from whilst looking for long term accomodation.
      The studio is fully furnished and equipped, linen, towels, wifi, tv, microwave, cooker, fridge all you need to do is book and show up.
      Minimum rental 1 week to 6 weeks ( negotiable)
      If you’re interested, please send me a PM and I will get back to you with details, availability, photos and answer any questions you may have.
      Thanks
      Michelle 

• By MacLeods
      I have a lovely self contained studio apartment  to let on short term basis from December 17 in the leafy suburb of O’Halloran Hill.
      It’s ideal for a couple or single who has newly arrived and a great place to start your new life from whilst looking for long term accomodation.
      The studio is fully furnished and equipped, linen, towels, wifi, tv, microwave, cooker, fridge all you need to do is book and show up.
      Minimum rental 1 week to 6 weeks ( negotiable)
      If you’re interested, please send me a PM and I will get back to you with details, availability, photos and answer any questions you may have.
      Thanks
      Michelle 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By continuing to use our site, you accept our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use