887 Visa - What's the update?

sunnyside

Hello Everyone, I am in a confused and difficult situation here and the best person to help is you are.

I am on 489 visa I have completed 1 year here in April'2020. I am working in IT everything is good. We want to plan a baby now and extend our family however the private medical covers are very costly. 

I want to know that what would you suggest?

Should I wait for 1  another year and after applying the PR will we be medically covered ?

what are the options do we have or people usually go for ?

What would be your suggestions?

Your help and time will be influencing our decision, Thanks in advance 🙂

On 5/25/2020 at 11:21 AM, oalabi said:

i have been asked to provide polio vaccination certificate which i already uploaded. applied 8th April 2019.. was really hoping for direct grant. guess i have to wait more now.. thanks guys\

CO veeneta

GSM QLD

same case officer and same request polio which is already given and never visited in last 3 years.. 

On 6/7/2019 at 1:14 PM, Butt said:

Granted PR
Applied 03april 2018
First contact 17 may
Documents requested: polio certificate
Final grant: today
CO: Joan
May Allah bless you all.
You guys are much much helping and Russki, you are such a lovely gem.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Butt sab, could you please tell us how did you get polio certificate, i got 28 days to submit and GPs are confused what to do as they do not know about immigration process

26 minutes ago, ASDFG said:

Hello Everyone, I am in a confused and difficult situation here and the best person to help is you are.

I am on 489 visa I have completed 1 year here in April'2020. I am working in IT everything is good. We want to plan a baby now and extend our family however the private medical covers are very costly. 

Should I wait for 1  another year and after applying the PR will we be medically covered ?

Hi I was in the same situation. 

if you are going for public hospital then the insurance wont be that much expensive. We paid a monthly payment of 110$  ( not sure exactly but its around there). Its for pregnant mom only and u need to satisfy the 12 month waiting period for to cover your delivery charges.  

however, in your case you will be eligible for 887 and will be able to get medicare by that time . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megrand1 said:

It says class SP which is 489.

This could be the answer we are looking for and here is the link - https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017L00720

As per this,  a visa grant is only possible if the case officer has assessed a valid evidence of Functional English (FE). This requirement is not subject to any particular visa. Refer to point (a) which means they can apply to any visa which is in process to be granted.

In relation Primary applicants asked for FE - Looks like the case officer was unable to determine the valid evidence of functional english and hence raised the request for primary applicants in all the cases received.  Please look back at your individual applications, in context to what is stated in the legislation. 

Potential Reasons -

1. Expired English language results - ILETS/PTE etc
  2. Transcripts, certificates relevant documentation provided at 489 application does not evidenced about medium of language of the program or course clearly.
  3. Delayed processing time has also played a vital role in this situation. If the 887 applications are processed in a timely manner It might not have got  into a situation of expired english results. 

Having said that, I still cannot see any valid reason for this reqruiement to be not stated as part of 887 visa checklist.. It needs to be specified even though it may not  be applied to all cases. 

On applicants receiving direct grants, There could have been some form of documentation submitted (Please note we do not know all the application details of an applicant) which could have evidenced  functional english requirement for the case officer. 

Apart from this I did not find any co-relation here. 

To conclude, It is fairly understood that it is an requirement under the Act and will need to evidenced if it is asked for.

Procedures or standards for determining that a person has functional English

For the purposes of the definition of functional English in subsection 3(1) of the Act, I specify that:

(a)        if, in order to be granted a visa, a person has been assessed as                        having functional English:

(i)         in accordance with a test; or

(ii)        following the provision of evidence;

in the form as may be required from time to time by operation                       of subsection 5(2) of the Migration Act 1958; or

(b)       where paragraph 7(a) of this instrument does not apply and the person has been assessed as having achieved Level 3 proficiency or above under the Australian Core Skills Framework (as in force or existing from time to time) across each of the core skills of learning, reading, writing and oral communication;

the person is taken to have functional English.

45 minutes ago, ASDFG said:

Bro private insurance is only option until you apply 887, once you apply 887 you get medicare which cover every thing, private insurance cover but they put 1 year waiting time as well so make sure you get it first for 6 8 months then baby as baby take 9 months 🙂  .. so they will cover after one year which is too late... also, once you apply 887 and wife pragnanent they wont giv you visa until delivery as I believe in my case 489.. or you have to go through medical checkup during pragnancy or after delivery.. now problem is 887 is currently quick again take 13 to 14 months but it could be late or it could be just few months in coming days so choice is yours .. after PR baby get passport,, otherwise PR or 489

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sabbasi said:

Bro private insurance is only option until you apply 887, once you apply 887 you get medicare which cover every thing, private insurance cover but they put 1 year waiting time as well so make sure you get it first for 6 8 months then baby as baby take 9 months 🙂  .. so they will cover after one year which is too late... also, once you apply 887 and wife pragnanent they wont giv you visa until delivery as I believe in my case 489.. or you have to go through medical checkup during pragnancy or after delivery.. now problem is 887 is currently quick again take 13 to 14 months but it could be late or it could be just few months in coming days so choice is yours .. after PR baby get passport,, otherwise PR or 489

Thank you my friend. 

Are you saying that if we plan after applying for 887, they will delay the PR intentionally so that after the delivery they can provide 887 to all 3 of us?

Edited by ASDFG

13 minutes ago, sabbasi said:

Hi Mate,

I got a question. you said they won't give applicant 887 visa if the applicant got pregnant. But how do CO knows the applicant already got pregnant without medical examination?

thanks for your explanation

Edited by MMM
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ASDFG said:

It all depends on personal circumstances for you and your partner in particular age,health conditions etc  Suggestion would be such crucial things in life cannot be dependent of a visa or its processing timeline.  Visa and all related activities will go on as per its timeline and you wont have any control on it. 

The practical solution is to find a way to manage and budget  appropriate and required health cover. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MMM said:

Hi Mate,

I got a question. you said they won't give applicant 887 visa if the applicant got pregnant. But how do CO knows the applicant already got pregnant without medical examination?

thanks for your explanation

you have to declare mate when you apply.. it would be lie and might effect your case later..i think there is question are you pregnant or medical condition.. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sabbasi said:

you have to declare mate when you apply.. it would be lie and might effect your case later..i think there is question are you pregnant or medical condition.. 

thanks mate, do you know where are these questions? beacuse I remember I have not seen such questions in form 80 or 1221

Edited by MMM

40 minutes ago, ASDFG said:

Thank you my friend. 

Are you saying that if we plan after applying for 887, they will delay the PR intentionally so that after the delivery they can provide 887 to all 3 of us?

This is not how it works....one of my friends got their PR in June and had baby in July...u don't have to notify them that you are pregnant. U have to update them after the birth coz in medical terms it not a baby untill a live birth.( Excuse me for saying this)

Also, Private Insurance have 12 month waiting period. So, once u take appropriate cover, u have to wait for 12 months to get the benefits.

And , its your personal choice when u want to have the baby coz these things might take more time than you expect..or it might not take time. 

Good luck with whatever u choose...

Edited by Navdeep047
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, TTTF said:

This could be the answer we are looking for and here is the link - https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017L00720

As per this,  a visa grant is only possible if the case officer has assessed a valid evidence of Functional English (FE). This requirement is not subject to any particular visa. Refer to point (a) which means they can apply to any visa which is in process to be granted.

In relation Primary applicants asked for FE - Looks like the case officer was unable to determine the valid evidence of functional english and hence raised the request for primary applicants in all the cases received.  Please look back at your individual applications, in context to what is stated in the legislation. 

Potential Reasons -

1. Expired English language results - ILETS/PTE etc
  2. Transcripts, certificates relevant documentation provided at 489 application does not evidenced about medium of language of the program or course clearly.
  3. Delayed processing time has also played a vital role in this situation. If the 887 applications are processed in a timely manner It might not have got  into a situation of expired english results. 

Having said that, I still cannot see any valid reason for this reqruiement to be not stated as part of 887 visa checklist.. It needs to be specified even though it may not  be applied to all cases. 

On applicants receiving direct grants, There could have been some form of documentation submitted (Please note we do not know all the application details of an applicant) which could have evidenced  functional english requirement for the case officer. 

Apart from this I did not find any co-relation here. 

To conclude, It is fairly understood that it is an requirement under the Act and will need to evidenced if it is asked for.

Procedures or standards for determining that a person has functional English

For the purposes of the definition of functional English in subsection 3(1) of the Act, I specify that:

(a)        if, in order to be granted a visa, a person has been assessed as                        having functional English:

(i)         in accordance with a test; or

(ii)        following the provision of evidence;

in the form as may be required from time to time by operation                       of subsection 5(2) of the Migration Act 1958; or

(b)       where paragraph 7(a) of this instrument does not apply and the person has been assessed as having achieved Level 3 proficiency or above under the Australian Core Skills Framework (as in force or existing from time to time) across each of the core skills of learning, reading, writing and oral communication;

the person is taken to have functional English.

From the first sight, it's not still a requirement.

It's said "if, in order to be granted a visa, a person has been assessed as". The main word IF. This IF is not specified anywhere for 887 so it's not applicable to 887 until is is specified clearly.

I might be wrong but it's what I see from the document.

1 minute ago, Navdeep047 said:

This is not how it works....one of my friends got their PR in June and had baby in July...u don't have to notify them that you are pregnant.

Also, Private Insurance have 12 month waiting period. So, once u take appropriate cover, u have to wait for 12 months to get the benefits.

And , its your personal choice when u want to have the baby coz these things might take more time than you expect..or it might not take time. 

Good luck with whatever u choose...

Thank you Navdeep for your input here. in this case if we don't tell the immigration department about pregnancy and for example in your friend's situation, how will you get a visa for the baby? you tell them immediately after the birth ? Wont they ask anything on this?

5 minutes ago, ASDFG said:

Thank you Navdeep for your input here. in this case if we don't tell the immigration department about pregnancy and for example in your friend's situation, how will you get a visa for the baby? you tell them immediately after the birth ? Wont they ask anything on this?

Baby will be citizen if parent r permanent. They won't ask you anything after PR. Relax. It's your choice either wait for Medicare or go ahead now. 

Edited by Country People
  • Like 1

Just now, ASDFG said:

U will update them after the birth. Fill the change in circumstances form, apply birth certificate and apply passport..

In our case, we applied August, 2018 and baby was born July 2019. We applied his birth certificate, Indian passport with vfs global and then updated the immigration with relevant form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ASDFG said:

I can suggest that if you can not afford the private insurance then wait for 1 more year so that after you apply for 887 visas, you will get interim medicare cover. Practically, you do not need to wait for 1 year, just another wait for another 3-4 months and by the time of delivery you already applied 887 and have medicare card.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Navdeep047 said:

U will update them after the birth. Fill the change in circumstances form, apply birth certificate and apply passport..

In our case, we applied August, 2018 and baby was born July 2019. We applied his birth certificate, Indian passport with vfs global and then updated the immigration with relevant form.

so as mentioned by Country People and you, this is what I understood, please correct me if I am wrong - if you apply PR and don't tell pregnancy  to Immigration officer, this wont affect the PR time and if baby is born after PR grant, baby will be Australian citizen however if born before the PR grant, we tell this to Immigration officer about it and fill change in circumstances form and get home passport for baby and PR will be granted to all 3 ?

1 hour ago, sabbasi said:

Butt sab, could you please tell us how did you get polio certificate, i got 28 days to submit and GPs are confused what to do as they do not know about immigration process

i believe for polio you can ask GP for blood test.one way of getting a polio cert is a polio Ab test. GP can verify in written letter form as polio Ab present. This could be one of the ways to verify that you had polio vaccine as a kid. 

well CO should take the test result verified by GP. good luck. 

16 minutes ago, ASDFG said:

what if baby born during process? and then he has to give all medical again and wait.. who know how long.. that what happen to me, i went to medical during 489 and came to know about pregnancy  and they made me wait next 8 months and once baby  born next day they gave visa.. and 887 i do not know if they ask medical again, i have been asked for Polio certificate only and if they ask, i am not sure during pregnancy you could have vaccination or not.. it depend on case officer,  time they take and grant... you can put every thing on old or can not hide forver..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kuni39 said:

i believe for polio you can ask GP for blood test.one way of getting a polio cert is a polio Ab test. GP can verify in written letter form as polio Ab present. This could be one of the ways to verify that you had polio vaccine as a kid. 

well CO should take the test result verified by GP. good luck. 

have you done this way or its your guess?

3 minutes ago, ASDFG said:

so as mentioned by Country People and you, this is what I understood, please correct me if I am wrong - if you apply PR and don't tell pregnancy  to Immigration officer, this wont affect the PR time and if baby is born after PR grant, baby will be Australian citizen however if born before the PR grant, we tell this to Immigration officer about it and fill change in circumstances form and get home passport for baby and PR will be granted to all 3 ?

Absolutely correct...baby will get the same visa as u ...they won't know untill u tell them...

Its not like u have to tell them the moment u get pregnant...u will have plenty of time to notify

• Like 1