Going back ???

Guest guest569

Guest TC for short

We, and friends of ours who are also returning, are not going because we don't like it here. We are on 457 visas tied to our jobs which, for various reasons, have not worked out. No job, no visa ergo we have little choice but to head off into the sunset.

Ho hum!

TC

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Shaggy
:biglaugh:you havent a clue mate!! Its nowt to do with fighting and think you are very insulting implying people who go back just arent fighting hard enough!

I remember a thread similar to this when we were ping ponging last year, when people jumped on our backs telling us we had not put in enough effort, not mingled with Aussies enough etc etc.

We came over here in 2006 and after 2 trips back to the UK, moved back last year. After much heartache we are now living back here, have our Australian citizenship and hope to be here forever.

Our advice, from people who have actually experienced this first hand, and not just people who have an opinion, we would say, do whatever it is you need to do. Take no notice of anyone else's opinon, especially those who don't have a clue what you are going through. You won't know if it's the right or wrong thing to do until you've done it.

Good luck to you wherever you want to be and wherever makes you Happiest.

Aint life Sweet:D

Guest Fancy a Beer
:biglaugh:you havent a clue mate!! Its nowt to do with fighting and think you are very insulting implying people who go back just arent fighting hard enough!

Think you need to read my posts properly, and as for me not having a clue I find that VERY insulting!!

Guest Fancy a Beer
I did not like a lot of things about the UK but I came to Australia more for new challenges and opportunities which I have found, I did not come to escape anything, everyone is different but if you are planning to escape something in the UK make sure it is not here too!

In my opinion, you need to start thinking of Australia as home as soon as possible, even if you still have a house in the UK, think of it as an investment not home, if you think of the UK as home you WILL be drawn to it.

Simon:)

I agree with alot of what you have written but the "home" bit I not so sure about I always refer to the UK as "home" although as previously stated have no intention of ever returning! I guess thinking about it now when you have called something home for over 30 years its maybe habit more than an actual feeling??

Good luck and all the best to all those returning back to the UK for whatever reason.

At the end of of the day guys just make sure that you hold your heads high and tell all those ( oh your back then people ) well least we had the balls to go and try and summat different!!!

Ask them what have you done in your lives that you can look back on with and say we gave it our best.

I had people back in the UK who were like you aint going to go, well we have been here a year and i make sure those doubters hear about our goings on all the time.

all the best guys....

HG

Think you need to read my posts properly, and as for me not having a clue I find that VERY insulting!!

Actually my "not having a clue" was in reference to my own cirmcumstances and reasons and nothing at all to do with failure. Therefore i stand by my comment and yes its very insulting to imply someone who returns is somehow a failure when you in essence are in fact completely clueless to their reasons. If your insulted so be it, but your comments were the most insulting of all..go figure!

Guest Bodie

This is undoubtedly an emotive topic. It has been said numerous times that your particular circumstances dictate your reasons for staying or returning. It is your decision and no justification or explanation is required, but the vast majority of subscribers or 'lurkers' will acknowledge that the principles are the same. All who have embarked on the process (either way) keep the well being of their family to the fore. Basically, we all strive to provide the best opportunity for our loved ones, regardless whether it is here or back in the UK. TC is a great mate of mine( I'll spare his blushes) and I am fully conversant and supportive of his reasons for returning, despite the fact that he and HALT will be greatly missed. I look forward to future posts from returnees ( a made up word) about their experiences resettling.

good luck to all.

Bodie

Guest cunnah10
This is undoubtedly an emotive topic. It has been said numerous times that your particular circumstances dictate your reasons for staying or returning. It is your decision and no justification or explanation is required, but the vast majority of subscribers or 'lurkers' will acknowledge that the principles are the same. All who have embarked on the process (either way) keep the well being of their family to the fore. Basically, we all strive to provide the best opportunity for our loved ones, regardless whether it is here or back in the UK. TC is a great mate of mine( I'll spare his blushes) and I am fully conversant and supportive of his reasons for returning, despite the fact that he and HALT will be greatly missed. I look forward to future posts from returnees ( a made up word) about their experiences resettling.

good luck to all.

Bodie

Personally we are finding it really hard to "settle" back in the UK again(been back exactly 8 weeks now)

Hard to put into words really ....but not as easy as i thought it would be ....even with the emotional ties from close family back here!

Feel as though we have 1 foot in Adelaide still & 1 foot here in the UK!

But we are all different & i'm sure a lot coming back will settle quickly.....although i can now see why so many "PING PONG".....

Good luck to all of you heading back to the UK (and there are quite a few of you)

You all have to do what is "best" for you as a family...and " nobody " has the right to judge or critisize!

Personally we are finding it really hard to "settle" back in the UK again(been back exactly 8 weeks now)

Hard to put into words really ....but not as easy as i thought it would be ....even with the emotional ties from close family back here!

Feel as though we have 1 foot in Adelaide still & 1 foot here in the UK!

But we are all different & i'm sure a lot coming back will settle quickly.....although i can now see why so many "PING PONG".....

Good luck to all of you heading back to the UK (and there are quite a few of you)

You all have to do what is "best" for you as a family...and " nobody " has the right to judge or critisize!

Are you thinking that you might be one of the ping pongers Gill? It would certainly be nice to see you Down Under again - Will still be in play and fun, same time day, same time!

Lindsey

Guest BJF

OK I've not checked POA in a long time,simply due to distancing myself from all the posts that seem to paint Oz as the be end and all end of life and in the two years I've been a member I've seen lots of posts where people say ...want a better way of life.....want the kids to grow up in safe enviorment. Plus various other ways of putting it.

I've been in Oz for almost 5 yrs, leave just a few days after we arrived 5 yrs ago. My reasons are plenty but mainly, Australia just isn't home, it's never felt like home, I'm lonely, I find most aussie peeps unfriendly, friendly enough while they think you're just visiting but their attitude changes once they know you live here, they get that....you took a job that an aussie could have taken, NO we didn't, my hubby came here to join their Air Force because the aussies don't want to join, the RAAF had to show the gov just how hard they were finding it to fillthe position with aussies before we were granted visa's.

I stuck it out becuase of our middle daughter, she was at an age where she needed to complete her high school education here or have no quals at all, she would never have caught up with the uk system quick enough to take her GCSE's. Now after many phone calls to see about housing I've found that 5 yrs out of the country means I have to take a 'residents test' before even being considered for local authority housing, we also have to be back in uk for 6 months before daughter can go onto further education for free. Seems by doing right on one hand we've shot ourselves in the foot with the other hand.

A major downside is the cost, $60. just to visit a Dr, paying for children's prescriptions, paying for kids dentists, paying for education, all these things are free in uk, yes I know they're still paid for but it's via NI contributions so you don't really feel the pinch.

I returned to uk for 3 weeks last year and instantly felt like I'd never left, I felt like I WAS HOME, since then I've been saving every spare cent to cover removal and shipping costs and flights,I've also had to save hard to make sure I can survive for a while when I get back in uk, I need to rent privately because of housing laws due to my being absent for 5 yrs but through my deyermination to return I'm going to have enough to cover all costs to get home plus cover costs of resettling when I get there. I nitially we going to leave Nov 25, 5 yrs to the day we arrived but daught's school formal is Nov 27 and it would be so unfair to make her miss out on that, again I'm putting my children first as I have since arriving, we will now leave Nov 28. We'll be leaving the lovely warm weather and landing in a cold, wet, misserable uk. Until shipping catches up with us we'll be relying on family for silly things like plates, inflatable matresses, deck chairs and sun loungers to survive in an otherwise unfurnished house but to us it'll be heaven because at last we'll be home again.

I don't regret moving to oz, I just regret staying so long. Since making the decision to deffinately move back I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off me, I feel more relaxed and happy. Nothing no-one says or does will ever convince me oz is better than uk, same ****, different country but without the support of family.

Now getting down off my soapbox. Sorry if my post offends anyone but there truely is no right or wrong, eaveryone's circumstances are diiferent.

I hope it all turns out well for you. I thought you had to prove residency for 3 years in the UK or Europe prior to getting funded places in the UK. Once you are settled back in there you will be able to look back and appreciate the better things that you have gained and experienced from being here.

Guest PommyPaul

I have not posted on here for some time now, because unless you are singing Adelaide's praises from the highest rooftop, you are bombarded with abuse of some form.

Just to clear the air - new PR visas have changed to make citizenship eligibility a 4 year wait, unlike a previous post on here saying 2 years.

I arrived here in Sep 08 with a pregnant wife and some hope of a better lifestyle for my new family. Leaving the UK was far harder than I thought and I have suffered extreeme home sickness coupled with 3 immediate family deaths, and working in a job I don't like. I witnessed the birth of my baby daughter in a faultless hospital (& staff) in Jan. Since then I have found Adelaide not to be for me, I want to move to queensland and am currently getting on with it. You do not know what it is like (regardless of research) to live somewhere until you actually do it and live there. Adelaide is nice and we like it but we are not completely happy, so rather than stay and moan we will move. We have met some lovely people here and can understand why they like it so much, it's all about circumstances.

So we have not had it easy and we are trying our best to make a go of it. Should it all go tits up at some point and we decide to go home, then so be it at least we would of had a go. If we manage to stay and make a success of it, then good times. The point is everyone has circumstances that are unique to them (that is why we are called individuals) and I think a little more understanding would go a long way. The only thing that matters is whether you are happy, if you are not then you must try all that you can until you are - even if that means travelling the globe more times than you wanted!!!

So for all those going home and staying here, I take my hat off to you and wish you the best of luck, as easy it is not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Libby1971
I have not posted on here for some time now, because unless you are singing Adelaide's praises from the highest rooftop, you are bombarded with abuse of some form.

Just to clear the air - new PR visas have changed to make citizenship eligibility a 4 year wait, unlike a previous post on here saying 2 years.

I arrived here in Sep 08 with a pregnant wife and some hope of a better lifestyle for my new family. Leaving the UK was far harder than I thought and I have suffered extreeme home sickness coupled with 3 immediate family deaths, and working in a job I don't like. I witnessed the birth of my baby daughter in a faultless hospital (& staff) in Jan. Since then I have found Adelaide not to be for me, I want to move to queensland and am currently getting on with it. You do not know what it is like (regardless of research) to live somewhere until you actually do it and live there. Adelaide is nice and we like it but we are not completely happy, so rather than stay and moan we will move. We have met some lovely people here and can understand why they like it so much, it's all about circumstances.

So we have not had it easy and we are trying our best to make a go of it. Should it all go tits up at some point and we decide to go home, then so be it at least we would of had a go. If we manage to stay and make a success of it, then good times. The point is everyone has circumstances that are unique to them (that is why we are called individuals) and I think a little more understanding would go a long way. The only thing that matters is whether you are happy, if you are not then you must try all that you can until you are - even if that means travelling the globe more times than you wanted!!!

So for all those going home and staying here, I take my hat off to you and wish you the best of luck, as easy it is not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bl**dy brilliant post!!!!! :notworthy::notworthy:

Guest cunnah10
Are you thinking that you might be one of the ping pongers Gill? It would certainly be nice to see you Down Under again - Will still be in play and fun, same time day, same time!

Lindsey

Arr thank you Lindsey x

Guest cunnah10
OK I've not checked POA in a long time,simply due to distancing myself from all the posts that seem to paint Oz as the be end and all end of life and in the two years I've been a member I've seen lots of posts where people say ...want a better way of life.....want the kids to grow up in safe enviorment. Plus various other ways of putting it.

I've been in Oz for almost 5 yrs, leave just a few days after we arrived 5 yrs ago. My reasons are plenty but mainly, Australia just isn't home, it's never felt like home, I'm lonely, I find most aussie peeps unfriendly, friendly enough while they think you're just visiting but their attitude changes once they know you live here, they get that....you took a job that an aussie could have taken, NO we didn't, my hubby came here to join their Air Force because the aussies don't want to join, the RAAF had to show the gov just how hard they were finding it to fillthe position with aussies before we were granted visa's.

I stuck it out becuase of our middle daughter, she was at an age where she needed to complete her high school education here or have no quals at all, she would never have caught up with the uk system quick enough to take her GCSE's. Now after many phone calls to see about housing I've found that 5 yrs out of the country means I have to take a 'residents test' before even being considered for local authority housing, we also have to be back in uk for 6 months before daughter can go onto further education for free. Seems by doing right on one hand we've shot ourselves in the foot with the other hand.

A major downside is the cost, $60. just to visit a Dr, paying for children's prescriptions, paying for kids dentists, paying for education, all these things are free in uk, yes I know they're still paid for but it's via NI contributions so you don't really feel the pinch.

I returned to uk for 3 weeks last year and instantly felt like I'd never left, I felt like I WAS HOME, since then I've been saving every spare cent to cover removal and shipping costs and flights,I've also had to save hard to make sure I can survive for a while when I get back in uk, I need to rent privately because of housing laws due to my being absent for 5 yrs but through my deyermination to return I'm going to have enough to cover all costs to get home plus cover costs of resettling when I get there. I nitially we going to leave Nov 25, 5 yrs to the day we arrived but daught's school formal is Nov 27 and it would be so unfair to make her miss out on that, again I'm putting my children first as I have since arriving, we will now leave Nov 28. We'll be leaving the lovely warm weather and landing in a cold, wet, misserable uk. Until shipping catches up with us we'll be relying on family for silly things like plates, inflatable matresses, deck chairs and sun loungers to survive in an otherwise unfurnished house but to us it'll be heaven because at last we'll be home again.

I don't regret moving to oz, I just regret staying so long. Since making the decision to deffinately move back I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off me, I feel more relaxed and happy. Nothing no-one says or does will ever convince me oz is better than uk, same ****, different country but without the support of family.

Now getting down off my soapbox. Sorry if my post offends anyone but there truely is no right or wrong, eaveryone's circumstances are diiferent.

wow even after 5 years you feel like this.....wishing you all the best for the future!

Guest TC for short
TC is a great mate of mine( I'll spare his blushes) and I am fully conversant and supportive of his reasons for returning, despite the fact that he and HALT will be greatly missed.

good luck to all.

Bodie

Too late, mate - we're blushing! Or it could be the wine...?

TC

Guest sandar1

Hey guys my parents immigrated here when I was 4, and I still get upset when people have a go at the 10 pound poms. My parents and their friends came out at that time really to the most deplorable conditions thrown into nissen huts in godforsaken areas. My boyfriend's parents were loaded into the back of sheep trucks and driven out to Smithfield Hostel which in those days really was in the middle of no where.

The migrants in those days from britain and europe became one another's families, and all moaned and partied, and planned for their returns together. Most stayed, several of the families returned but then returned here yet again. As for being told that they took Aussie jobs, I even remember kids at school coming out with the same. However, we went to school with very few ozzies as Elizabeth was built for the immigrants (I guess so that we wouldn't breed with the locals). I still upon meeting people here to save embarrassment (on their part - I look italian so they think it is open slather to say what ever they think about the poms - advise that I am a pom, I grew up in Elizabeth, my grandchildren and daughter in law are american and that I have a gay son, that usually covers all of the gaffs that you get in a conversation. I have thrown workmen out of the house when they have made comments regarding poms when coming to quote on jobs.

I have lived out of Australia about the same time that I have lived in it, being forutnate enough to have lived all over the world. Home is where you make it and just look upon this as part of the great adventure you are having.

There's nothing wrong with feeling that the UK is still HOME hey I still cry when I land there even now, and I am still very close with my family there, and have been fortunate enough to live there on and off over the years.

I get terribly homesick for the US where I lived for 20 years, and for India for 4. Don't slap yourself up the side of the head for decisions regarding kids and schooling, there are always these loopholes that you don't know about until you make different decisions. With regards to your daughter going to higher ed, it will probably be good for her to have that six months break, what with the uprooting making new friends etcetera she will be up and running and keen to get back to school after the 6 months with a clean slate. Don't you ever feel guilty about decisions you make with your life, once again this was just part of that adventure, and you learn something and meet some amazing people on every leg of that adventure.

I moved back here 5 years ago and since I arrived my husband left, I met someone else who I adored, and he died, my son wife and grandchildren moved back to the US, I had a business go belly up caused by unscrupulous people, but my other business is now going well, I am in a new relationship, and have made new friends (old ones didn't want to know when husband left).

If I had the chance I would move back to the US frankly, but because of the length of time spent here my greencard is no longer valid (took over 10 years to get what a b.........r). I have contemplated moving to the UK also, we'll see. ANYWAY LONG STORY now cut to the bottom line - GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU, AND I'M SURE THAT WE ALL WISH YOU WELL.

S