2 days in!

guspjmh

Well we arrived Thursday night after 24 hellish hours of childrens vomit, sleep deprivation and general misery!

We are loving the weather, although still feel like zombies due to our youngest waking up at 3am thinking it's time to get up - and then refusing to go back to sleep!

We also owe big thanks to DougM on here, who offers his pick up service to people for free. It was great to be met by a friendly face and to chat to someone who really knows the area. He helped us so much, even helping us get a doctor (which I need to finalise on tuesday!) I really cannot say how helpful we found this, and we really appreciated it.

I've also received two emails about work, and have to meet some people in Adelaide airport on Monday for an interview, followed by a phone itnerview with another company the same day. The only issue is that I don't want to start work until we move into our long term rental (end of Jan), and the first company would want me to start in a week.

Other things we've done:

- got sim cards for our phones so we now have australian mobile numbers!

- requested my tfn

- met with my bank over here and requested my debit card

Busy few weeks coming up!

Guest Claire-n-tel

Welcome home! you picked a great weekend to arrive!

I've also received two emails about work, and have to meet some people in Adelaide airport on Monday for an interview, followed by a phone itnerview with another company the same day. The only issue is that I don't want to start work until we move into our long term rental (end of Jan), and the first company would want me to start in a week.

Unless you are absolutly sure that you would be offered another job asap i would be very cautious of turning down one because they want you a couple of weeks early.

Best of luck!

Thanks all. I'm in two minds about the job - it's a contract position, with a fairly low salary, and while I am realistic enough to realise that I cannot go in at the same level here that I was in the uk, I am also wary of jumping at the first opportunity, which would make life difficult in the short term for my wife (due to the timings) when I could perhaps take my time - I do have other interviews lined up.

Advice appreciated!

Employers always want you to start as soon as possible but whenever we've employed anyone at my work it is usually a one month wait before they start due to their commitments. Depending on what kind of job you are being interviewed for I would think a lot of employers would understand that, especially in your circumstances. I would think that a reasonable employer would understand you need to find a long term home first. You can at the very least ask the question (once they offer you the job).

Welcome to Adelaide Gus, we're 13 days in and also loving it. started work on Monday and really settling in now, it feels like we've been here ages! glad you've got your long term rental sorted, we've viewed 11 today trying to find the right place! nightmare as apparently this is the busiest time of year and every house we go to there are another 8-10 couples wanting it! - still, we'll keep trying!

My advice would be to take the job if money is tight or hang-fire if not.........it'll all come good - dont worry!

Employers always want you to start as soon as possible but whenever we've employed anyone at my work it is usually a one month wait before they start due to their commitments. Depending on what kind of job you are being interviewed for I would think a lot of employers would understand that, especially in your circumstances. I would think that a reasonable employer would understand you need to find a long term home first. You can at the very least ask the question (once they offer you the job).

Normally this would be the case, but it is a new launch and they need someone on board to start training by the end of next week!

My budget has allowed for 6 months of unemployment, although I was hoping to land something by the beginning of march. I am going along to the interview and will make a decision if I'm offered it. My wife wants me to hold fire and I am totally undecided.

Good to hear from you Gus. I had been thinking about your journey and hoping you would post an update on here for us all!

Im very glad the weather is glorious for you. It makes doing all those arduous/necessary jobs so much more pleasant, and you know the weather you left behind don't you??! ( I write this as I sit listening to the roofer replace our missing felt, tiles and boarding from the Xmas storms!!)

do keep us (me) posted on the job situation. We have submitted the first of our Vetassess documents, so that's the first part of the process done, but we have been advised that the waiting time from start to end is now around 10 months, so it looks as though we'd be looking at early next year now. It's a bit of a blow tbh, but I'm going to get some contract/mat leave sales work to help with the finances and of course by this time next year you will be an old hand and hopefully able to give me some advice!

all the best and enjoy the sun!

DC

Hello Angus. Welcome to Adelaide. I agree with everyone eles, go to your interviews it is not always that easy to find work here. I know people that have been here for two years and are still struggling to find proper work, we have seen people come and go because of the lack of work. Never pass the chance by.

P.S hello, we are your neighbours, been here two years and enjoying the life x

Guest MandiMR2

I agree with Ktee, go for the interview & explain your circumstances & ask if they will negotiate a later start date, or even commence part-time initially. I secured a job at the RAH in Dec & negotiated to start employment in Feb, however as our property here still hasn't sold, they have agreed to defer to March. If they want you they will wait & co-operate, a gamble I kno but worth it, especially as you have means of supporting yourselves financially for a while, I would take the risk & enjoy the transition together as a family, Mandi x

Well, I couldn't negotiate the later start date as a national meeting is arranged for saturday/sunday in Melbourne, but I do get 2 days in lieu because it's a weekend, so I will be able to take time off when we move into our full time rental.

Also, I really liked the two guys that interviewed me, one will be my immediate manager and the other is his boss, so this helped. I got a phone call a few hours after the interview offering me the job, and I asked the woman who called me if they could negotiate on the salary, she immediately upped it by $2k, but I asked for $5k. She went on to the director, who ok'd it and then called me back with the good news!

It's a 6 month contract initially (although they intimated that they had already received approval for 12 months verbally), so it's a perfect role for me to learn the local environment!

• 3 weeks later...

3 weeks in and feeling rushed off our feet! Container was delivered yesterday, so only got about 14 thousand boxes left to unpack, while working full time. Kate is going stir crazy with kids, hopefully things will settle down into a nice routine soon!

Still, can't complain, it's all going quite smoothly and we are kind of enjoying it!