• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mayjess

Yeah I agree, the wine & beer much more expensive in OZ:arghh:

Now & then tho, you get some good offers,thats when you should stock up

Mayjess

Guest Rob and Clare
We only bought ours 8 weeks ago. I don't know about the rest of the UK but compared to Belfast they are way cheaper

The average house price in Adelaide though is approx $410,000, at the current exchange rate that's 205,000 pounds. I thought the average house price for the UK is 220,000 pounds (according to the BBC), so it is cheaper here but not by much.

Not sure about the construction methods ... but, as my old economics teacher would say, the only reason houses are cheaper is because the land is cheaper. The land is cheaper because there is loads of it. Houses by the sea are more expensive. Not because they are built better but because there are fewer of them and people like living by the sea.

Guest Nick11

Only thing I find cheaper is orange juice and meat - but even that seems to be going up in price.

And don't even get me started on the price of yogurts!!!!!!!

Guest caoimhe
The average house price in Adelaide though is approx $410,000, at the current exchange rate that's 205,000 pounds. I thought the average house price for the UK is 220,000 pounds (according to the BBC), so it is cheaper here but not by much.

We sold a 3 bed semi in NI for £70,000 more than what we paid for our 5 bed house here.

It is solid brick and fully insulation. I know it depends on what area you choose and we are a bit further out than we wanted but with 4 kids the space is very much needed.

Some things are more some things are less....but what price would you put on the lifestyle we lead out here????????????

i didnt come here to be well off or rich i came here, to give my kids a better chance than what IMO they could get in the UK, and for the lifestyle.

If things are more than in the UK then so be it....We could only dream of owning our own place in UK, and here we are building our own place...sure no double glazing, or central heating but boy when that Mercury starts creaping up am i so happy in where i live and its warm/hot for what nearly 6 months...

And money cant buy you the weather over here, in summer we goto beach at 6 oclock some nights......if my kids are happy then i am happy...

HG

Some things are more some things are less....but what price would you put on the lifestyle we lead out here????????????

i didnt come here to be well off or rich i came here, to give my kids a better chance than what IMO they could get in the UK, and for the lifestyle.

If things are more than in the UK then so be it....We could only dram of owning our own place in UK, and here we are building our own place...sure no double glazing, or central heating but boy when that Mercury starts creaping up am i so happy in where i live and its warm/hot for what nearly 6 months...

And money cant buy you the weather over here, in summer we goto beach at 6 oclock some nights......if my kids are happy then i am happy...

HG

Thats a great post HG. Roll on Summer.:)

Guest caoimhe

If things are more than in the UK then so be it....We could only dream of owning our own place in UK, and here we are building our own place...sure no double glazing, or central heating but boy when that Mercury starts creaping up am i so happy in where i live and its warm/hot for what nearly 6 months...

HG

I totally agree with you and love the lifestyle my kids have here but people do need to be given an idea of the cost of living, no point living in the sunshine if you can't make ends meet. Personally I feel things even out but everyone is different and buy and expect different things.

Not sure about the construction methods ... but, as my old economics teacher would say, the only reason houses are cheaper is because the land is cheaper. The land is cheaper because there is loads of it. Houses by the sea are more expensive. Not because they are built better but because there are fewer of them and people like living by the sea.

To add to this, it's not so much quality but supply and demand.

The further out you get the more land there is and the cheaper it is. However lots of people want to live near the city but there all the land has already been built on so there isn't much spare land. You then have to resort to building on brownfield sites such as Cheltenham racecourse, Underdale (which was a tertiary college), or subdividing existing properties, which seems to have got out of control particularly in the central beach suburbs. Whole streets are barely recognisable from what they were like 15-20 years ago.

So property in some areas is much cheaper than the UK (the median house price in Elizabeth is only $190,000) but in some areas it isn't cheap at all (Burnside $655,000, Rose Park $1,040,000, St Peters $860,000).

Guest harper210267

Great post!!

I have been looking at the supermarkets and their prices and basically it seems the same as the UK (food etc).

We too need new mattresses, duvets and I only said yesterday, as I was putting the new clean covers (from dunlem) onto my sons beds, you need new duvets and beds but what's the point?

Now after reading this, there is a point. I think I will look into buyinh new beds, a mattress and duvets/covers before we go. Oh not forgetting the towels.

Anything else, let us know.

xx

We too need new mattresses, duvets and I only said yesterday, as I was putting the new clean covers (from dunlem) onto my sons beds, you need new duvets and beds but what's the point?

Now after reading this, there is a point. I think I will look into buyinh new beds, a mattress and duvets/covers before we go. Oh not forgetting the towels.

I agree I know it does seem silly to buy new and ship it over but if there is room in your already expensive container then why not. At least you know what your getting. I have bought some kids clothes and planning on a new bed for my son he needs one anyway, new bedding and mattress too. I am looking forward to spending now whilst hubby in work. DOn't know how long before it will be before he gets a job out there and might not be as well paid.

I have bought some kids clothes and planning on a new bed for my son he needs one anyway, new bedding and mattress too.

Along with a fair bit of other stuff, we bought a mattress just before coming out but it was ruined by the time it arrived here. We don't know what happened to it, but it appeared as if it had been laid flat in the container and had heavy items stored on top of it. Regardless of how it happened, it was totally knackered when it arrived at this end and we were rather annoyed!

Probably just a one-off, but something to be aware of.

Jim

Just been pricing up divan beds for the boys and there really isn't that much difference in the price.

We had planned to buy them new beds before we came over, but will wait now until we get there and if we end up in unfurnished accomodation before the container arrives, then at least we'll have something to sleep on.

How did everyone else manage before their container arrived?

Guest mayjess

We managed by going to radio rentals & buying to sofa beds etc from ex rental stuff, really cheap and sold them on so got my money back!!! still got the fridge-freezer,its still going strong 3yrs later.

Mayjess

We camped out in our rental, it was actually good fun although we were mighty relieved when our stuff came. We had air beds, sleeping bags, barbie and garden table and chairs. Someone lent us a portable TV, we bought kettle and toaster and used a bucket of water for a fridge.

Lea

Guest Ledges

Hi Guys,

Our brother was over in the Uk from Perth last week so I was grilling him on what would be good to buy before we leave. So we've just bought a new bed and matress. Pillows are expensive too apparently and the in sports wear for teenagers is Lonsdale....which they found wierd as its not so cool over here. Sports stuff is dearer so get down to sprots direct and fill your cases !

Guest caoimhe
We managed by going to radio rentals & buying to sofa beds etc from ex rental stuff, really cheap and sold them on so got my money back!!! still got the fridge-freezer,its still going strong 3yrs later.

Mayjess

The ex rental place on South Road is great, I got a few things off them

Guest Tina P

Hi,

Our container arrived 3 months after we did, we bought kids beds from Ikea and ours from L'cornu. It was about $850 for 3 beds and mattress's. All good and still going strong now.

Packed duvets, sheets and towels in our cases.

We to are from sunny Bradford, Wibsey & Queensbury.

Tina

Just been pricing up divan beds for the boys and there really isn't that much difference in the price.

We had planned to buy them new beds before we came over, but will wait now until we get there and if we end up in unfurnished accomodation before the container arrives, then at least we'll have something to sleep on.

How did everyone else manage before their container arrived?