To all who have settled here!

Guest Guest75

Guest welshboy

Been here since Dec 2006 (4 years 5 months) with the wife,had a rental for 3 months waiting for the house to sell in the uk, money arrived then bought in flagstaff hill area with views over the sturt gorge and Glenelg and the airport

Managed to get a job 3 weeks after arrive been there since,Had the parents visit the first year they loved the weather

so last year we visited the uk May 2010 it was nice but glad the come back to what we call home

no rush to return to the uk

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest75
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant - thread that is all!

I hope you are on this thread giving your story of how you settled here in a few years time :cute::cute:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

Been meaning to do an update for a while but never seem to get round to it, so here goes.

Now been here 18 months. Knew no-one, never been here, two job interviews lined up and that was about it. Got job with someone else although got offered both jobs and long term rental within days of each other.

The kids settled really easily, so much so that the eldest (8) has said that when he grows up he wants to be an architect and build us a big house. Niki asked him where UK or Australia and he said Australia of course - did make us smile. He also gets confused now about things that happened in UK and here when he talks about UK stuff.

Work was plentiful last year but not so much this year but no use moping about it, things will pick up. Put buying a house back a bit but no harm in waiting. Had a few hiccups with purchases of big things but have learnt our lesson

Made some very good friends here and one that went a bit pearshaped.

Better standard of life here. We basically didn't have one in UK as never saw each other. Some things are expensive but you just don't buy them and some things are cheap, swings and roundabouts.

Niki would not go back to UK if you paid her. I get a bit homesick every now and then and think was I wise to leave UK but only when things are not going the way that I really want them to.

All in all though I would say it is the best thing we ever did for all of us.

Guest shahram
Wev'e been in Aus almost 3 yrs, we migrated to a place called Wagga Wagga NSW (hubby took a wrong turn on a reccie) and loved it, after 2 n half yrs we decided to give South Aus a go, we arrived in Nov 09, spent all our savings getting here! I have now been workin for 2 mths and hubby has an interview tomoz. The kids settled really quickly and are doin well, but the best news is my eldest son is movin over in August from Orange also NSW. We really like it here as we are near the beach but also the hills, wineries etc. I have been back to the uk once and couldn't wait to get back "home". Although we loved Wagga and made some really good friends we have also made the right decision to relocate here.

Can you advise me about your experience to live in Adelaide?we will to move there with my family and i don;t know very much about work, collage, school, accommodation and so on.meanwhile my English language isn't very well.I have two daughter 18 and 14.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest misschatter

Again great idea for a thread!

Although I am still probably along way off living in Adelaide this has given me some great insight to life in oz and has re confirmed every reason I am going through this long process, and makes it all seem worth while. I know I am at the very beginning of my journey compared to all of you who have been out there for years, but thank you for sharing your stories, they have been very inspiring and had given me the boast to keep going, as Im sure all of you know, sometimes you wonder if the UK is that bad after all!

But after spending a year working and visiting oz (08-09) and returning to the UK I feel that I have left part of me behind and know if I don't try ill never know and always regret it.

I just can't wait for the day we arrive so that we can start to live life how we wish, my partner (who i met whilst backpacking in oz) and I are still currently living at home with the parents to save for our new life.

We seem to eat and breathe oz here what with all the researching, paper work and forums, so we feel like we are ready and know what to expect. although have become a little concerned about the economy over there at the moment after reading some news articles about rising interest rates on mortgages.

But anyway we are really looking forwards to our future together in Oz and just want to say thanks again for all the information, this site is so helpful, I hope that when I finally reach oz (and when SA's website finally re-opens) I can give information to people like myself!

Well done to all who have reached there goal out there and good luck to anyone who is in my shoes and hopefully see all you poms out there, hehe!

Leanne x

Hi

Been meaning to do an update for a while but never seem to get round to it, so here goes.

Now been here 18 months. Knew no-one, never been here, two job interviews lined up and that was about it. Got job with someone else although got offered both jobs and long term rental within days of each other.

The kids settled really easily, so much so that the eldest (8) has said that when he grows up he wants to be an architect and build us a big house. Niki asked him where UK or Australia and he said Australia of course - did make us smile. He also gets confused now about things that happened in UK and here when he talks about UK stuff.

Work was plentiful last year but not so much this year but no use moping about it, things will pick up. Put buying a house back a bit but no harm in waiting. Had a few hiccups with purchases of big things but have learnt our lesson

Made some very good friends here and one that went a bit pearshaped.

Better standard of life here. We basically didn't have one in UK as never saw each other. Some things are expensive but you just don't buy them and some things are cheap, swings and roundabouts.

Niki would not go back to UK if you paid her. I get a bit homesick every now and then and think was I wise to leave UK but only when things are not going the way that I really want them to.

All in all though I would say it is the best thing we ever did for all of us.

Hi Jason,

I was just wondering if you could share your experience of living in Christies Beach. Is it a good area for young families? What are the primary schools like? Any area we should avoid?

Thx

Riana

Hi Riana

We had a book on Adeladie and areas before we got here and Christies was actually on our short list although we had had mixed reviews from people. Apparently this was a housing trust area originally and lots of immigrants came to first or so we have been told. It is a nice quiet place to live. Shops on Beach Road not of abundance as some closing but Noarlunga Centre only half an hour walk and there is talk of a tram line being set up down Beach Road linked to the shopping Centre to bring more people here. You can easily recognise the "dodgy" streets as such but would not say any of them are are particularly terrible. You get the odd hooner but apart from t bit like living in a seaside village. We have been in this area since we got here 18 months ago and only a street away from our short term rental and a street away from the beach. Phoebe goes to Christies North kindie which was recommended and loved it. Charlie goes to Christies Primary and again loves it. Good mix of kids and buddy system so no bullying goes on and if there is anything it is rectified immediately. Only thing I would say is if you wanted your kids to go to that school, don't ring the principal as always busy and never gets back to you but go in and they will show you round. They study Indonesian, lot of performing arts and are just starting a veggie garden. We did look at O'Sullivans Primary and while the principal talked the talk and was a nice little school, he had been brought in because the school was not performing as well as it should. My concern was how long would it be until it was up to par.

We would definately like to stay in this area, just dependant on how much house prices go up and availability. Apparently it is now also on the want list for places to live.

Hope this helps and if you want to know anything else or fancy a meet up when you get here, give us a shout.

Jason & Niki

Hi Jason,

I was just wondering if you could share your experience of living in Christies Beach. Is it a good area for young families? What are the primary schools like? Any area we should avoid?

Thx

Riana

Hi Riana

We had a book on Adeladie and areas before we got here and Christies was actually on our short list although we had had mixed reviews from people. Apparently this was a housing trust area originally and lots of immigrants came to first or so we have been told. It is a nice quiet place to live. Shops on Beach Road not of abundance as some closing but Noarlunga Centre only half an hour walk and there is talk of a tram line being set up down Beach Road linked to the shopping Centre to bring more people here. You can easily recognise the "dodgy" streets as such but would not say any of them are are particularly terrible. You get the odd hooner but apart from t bit like living in a seaside village. We have been in this area since we got here 18 months ago and only a street away from our short term rental and a street away from the beach. Phoebe goes to Christies North kindie which was recommended and loved it. Charlie goes to Christies Primary and again loves it. Good mix of kids and buddy system so no bullying goes on and if there is anything it is rectified immediately. Only thing I would say is if you wanted your kids to go to that school, don't ring the principal as always busy and never gets back to you but go in and they will show you round. They study Indonesian, lot of performing arts and are just starting a veggie garden. We did look at O'Sullivans Primary and while the principal talked the talk and was a nice little school, he had been brought in because the school was not performing as well as it should. My concern was how long would it be until it was up to par.

We would definately like to stay in this area, just dependant on how much house prices go up and availability. Apparently it is now also on the want list for places to live.

Hope this helps and if you want to know anything else or fancy a meet up when you get here, give us a shout.

Jason & Niki

Hi Jason & Niki,

Thanks for that, really appreciate it. Will hopefully keep in touch :cute:

Riana

I went to Christies Beach Primary back in the 70's and it fine. DO they still have the outside swimming pool? my mum (god rest her soul) was one of the main fund raisers to get it buit! Good to hear that it's an up and coming area. I used to walk to school everyday from Port Noarlunga!!

Wow, I would love to add my story on here too however i will add mine when we start it:biggrin:; I have finally got through all these really good posts,and it has been a pleasure reading everyone of those-So nice one Tyke again its been a good idea,

should be able to put a hows it going post in August,just waiting for the contract dates to be agreed-and then we will be there:smile:,

thanks

Guest Guest75
Wow, I would love to add my story on here too however i will add mine when we start it:biggrin:; I have finally got through all these really good posts,and it has been a pleasure reading everyone of those-So nice one Tyke again its been a good idea,

should be able to put a hows it going post in August,just waiting for the contract dates to be agreed-and then we will be there:smile:,

thanks

Glad to read you have enjoyed the the thread Andy. I hope it gives people inspiration and advice.:cute:

I am trying encorage as many people as possible to post in here.

Kind of like "Pay it Forward".

Lots of people are on the site for about 2 years and once settled don't need us so much once happily settled - c'mon guys!! Pop back in and give a report!!!!:smile:

I went to Christies Beach Primary back in the 70's and it fine. DO they still have the outside swimming pool? my mum (god rest her soul) was one of the main fund raisers to get it buit! Good to hear that it's an up and coming area. I used to walk to school everyday from Port Noarlunga!!

Hi

No afraid to say that they no longer have it - it was got rid of before we arrived. It is now a nice new trendy sports hall that the kids have to take their shoes off in as it spoils the floor. The old prefab huts have now gone which my son started out in and new brick built rooms have been built with solar power. They have just put up new metal fencing to surround the school. Put up a sports canteen on the field for Saturday football. Where the old prefab's were is going tobe the veggie plot and they are putting an aboriginal drop in centre at the school carpark which has raised some eyebrows and tempers with some.

Niki

Guest Teresa01

We arrived two years ago (tomorrow) wow where has that time gone, we have made some really great friends some from this site and some from elsewhere, my kids were 10 & 11 when we arrived they have really enjoyed school and all of the sports on offer here. We didnt like going to the beach in England (Weston-s-Mare) being are nearest. But we lovvvveee the beach now and go when ever we can during the summer. Finding your first job here is difficult and of course you really need the money, my husband had to start pretty low down the scale and earned half of what he did in the uk for the first year, but he gained promotion and is enjoying his new work. I have had a trouble finding a nice job, I am now on my forth but thankfully its great, I have found being part time and working in healthcare, that because there is always a big workload that I was either given the workload of a full timer or kept being asked to increase my hours. I understand that for people moving out now they must be concerned about the money, we too hadnt changed our pounds into dollars when the rate was high, but after being here for a year we decided to just change the money and not to live are life on hold. There is much discussion on here about the cost of living compared to the uk, as I had kept the last of my bills from the uk, I decided to do a comparison to our bills here. This may suprise some, but like for like as we have apx the same home loan as in the uk, its about a third cheaper to live here. Money is important but even if it was dearer to live here but we could still manage, I would always still choose *****AUSTRALIA***** I am proud to be an old pom, but a new aussie living in this great country!!!!

Cheers Teresa x

Guest Peachie

Its good to think though your journey as feel we have achieved alot in less than 2 years Here is our story Deb, Paul Kelly & Ben x

We arrived in Adelaide Nov 2009 after planning our move to the Gold Coast I had a job offer and house was sold. When Paul handed in his notice (3 months) Hisboss organised a job offer for him in Adelaide at another branch of the company(this was a totally unexpected) and the offer was too good to turn down We had done 3 long reccies covering Melbourne, Sydney, Brissie, Gold Coast, Perth, Freemantle Townsville and a week in Adelaide. (hubby has issues with decisions!!)

We had a short term cheapo holiday let for 3 weeks in Forestvilleno clue where we wanted to live but Paul didn’t want to commute too far, so we looked at the western suburbs. Long term rentals were a bit thin on the ground and when we found this place we made sure we got it!! (offered 3 months rent up front the week before Christmas) moved in on the 18th Dec did all the furniture shopping xmas shopping all in1 week then collapsed for the rest of the summer. We managed to visit 5 local schools before they shut down for the hols too. After the kids started school in Feb I applied for a couple of jobs and was offeredthe one a wanted and started a couple of weeks later (less hours, more moneyand less stress than UK)

Now we are fed up renting although this is a great house, I've missed the freedom of having your own place so we are taking the plunge and bought a place in Grange will move in in Sept. Are we better off than the UK? I think there's not much in it, except property took a bit of a step back with the size of mortgage The kids are settled eldest started high school last jan has loadsof friends and independence etc youngest will move to grange primary in term 4 but is happy settled and accident prone (on his second broken bone Womens and kids hossie have a bril ER). Paul seems happy with his job his boss seems happy with him. My job is good and I am also studying for a post grad DipHE at Adelaide unie (I would have waited another 4years for that in UK)

Soon the whole we are well settled made friends withsome nice work mates and things have gone as well as I had hoped. My parents are coming over for 3 months over Christmas(not decided if that’s positive or negative yet!!lol) I missed my brothers 2nd wedding the birth ofhis 4th child and I will miss my (ex)sister in laws wedding in marchbut we still chat on the phone like I never moved. I don’t feel I miss anything from the UK but still will be giving my mum a list of stuff to bring with her lol xx

Tyke is right a lot happens in 2 years

• 4 months later...

Tyke, a good thread for settlers to tell their stories- we have all been in the UK and wondered what Adelaide was like, and I for one, could not read enough about the place. I guess we do just move on and Pomsin fades into the background. I still like popping onto the site just to see what's going on and who's arrived.

We are back after a year in the UK and so far I am loving it. We are in a private rental (Roo's)in Hallett Cove and settling in well. I definitely think it is just as expensive to live here as in the UK, but I love both places - the UK more because my family are there.

However, I am really enjoying the weather and beaches here - that's what it's all about for me - as well as being with my Aussie Bill!

I would recommend Adelaide as a lovely place to live, but settling away from your family can be hard. Also, the news seems to be about gun crime in the north of Adelaide at the moment, so not perfect here either!

Cheers!

PS - Maybe the mods could bump this thread up from time to time if it lapses?

I think its a good idea to give it a bump now and again. Its a sticky thread already so is always on the first page of the News and Gossip section but not everyone reads the forum in sections or looks at the sticky/pinned threads.

I remember reading this thread when I first joined PIA and finding it good to hear how people had gotten on since they moved.

Hello all ,thought we had best put on our 5 months update,.......

Its funny to be writting this update as the 5 months have flown by,on the other sdie of things Adelaide to us felt like home once the plane had landed so it feels like we have been here for years silly i know but that how it feels.

I am settled in a job as a chef and got the job after 2 weeks of being here, I also rejected 4 other jobs too. There was one place that I really wanted to work at brand new, the sort of food i wanted to cook etc could have been the best job however at the time it wasnt practical as a non driver it would have been very hard getting there back and forth (split shifts)and living miles away not knowing what the transport was going to be like and with two children picking me up late was not an option so passed it by. Job hunting for us wasnt that hard, we had applied for heaps of jobs while in the uk and out of the 200 or so made a few contacts, alot through seek.com, adelaide news and heaps though cold calling emails and hospitality searches from the net.

I am still working at same place yes there is times when you want the grass to be greener well in catering anyway,recently i got offerred a job back at the place i really wanted to work at in the begining so i went along for a couple of hours, had to be done for the what if sake and to get closure on it-well it is everything i thought it would be..., the only thing i would have had to work alot more hours to get what i am getting now, that would mean not seeing my family here and not enjoying what days off i might have had got. Like i say the grass want greener for me there but the experience was really good.

Friends, We have made more friends and good friends while being out here, I was a work aholic back in the uk, and didnt have much time outside of work to make or be bothered to do anything, i could have tried harder but to be honest wasnt really bothered, all we have wanted to do for years is come to Australia by any means, so while in the uk The Visa,Australia process kinda took over , and found it hard to enjoy what was left when i wasnt working.

For us now its completely different like i say we are more out going, have the time to do so, we are more active have goals and most of all have some really good, honest friends-big thankyou to you,..

The weather issue for us, we were used to well the uk style weather for me having to cycle 5 miles wrapped up,layered up in thermals for the best part of the year constantley moaning about getting wet etc... oh how the heart bleeds ,smallest violin playing for sympathy lol, Well over here even when it has been a little wet or not over 25 its still fab and that was in winter,

We have found it gets hot very quickly, yes we are still getting used to it good old sun cream comes in then,and your hat and rashy when on the beach. alot of friends and people at work have said this isnt hot yet wait until its in the 40,s bring it on, keep drinking the fluids and cream up. Wer have experienced high 30+ and to be honest unless you are not creamed up and sun bathing in it, for me it didnt seem too bad.

The kids love it here made good friends , loving school and not maning about there being nothing to do, we might be lucky there. Mason loves the sea, beach and surf club at moana as does his little sister,

When we first came over all all we seemed to do was spend however that included furnishing a home,buying a new car getting used to things where to go,where to shop. Now the large things are bought the savings are building up again.

Onwards and upward...heres to a good future

Merry christmas,

We have just had our 1 year anniversary since we arrived,and what a year it has been!I met my husband when he was back from Australia on a residents return visa.His first words were...I live in Australia.My first thoughts were....well this will be a fling because I don't want to live there!Shortly later he sold his house in Victoria and said he would stay in the UK for me.3 years later we both lost our great jobs within 2 months of eachother so I said go on then,I will give it a go.we arrived here with just 2 weeks left on his return visa with plans to live in Glenelg.I hated him for 3 months for bringing me here.I had never felt so lonely.It was like you were grieving for a loss of someone.We had ended up in an eco tent at West Beach camp site as all the rentals were full with it being so close to Christmas.Mick had said we wouldn't need a hire car as from what he remembered of being there in 1999 everything was within walking distance or easily done on the bus.When you are jet lagged,tired and constantly crying everything seems so hard.I remember doing our first food shop at Woolworths in Glenelg and we had too many bags to get on the bus.Mick went to get us a taxi and it took him an hour.I just layed down on the floor in the car park and sobbed!After about 10 days a kind soul on here took us into their spare room in Port Noarlunga[which I found so pretty compared to were we were ]and soon after this we got our long term rental on the esplanade at Moana.Hubby has been in work since we got here after getting chatting to someone who owns a building company and he loves it and they love him.I am about to start my fourth job in January after all kind of work place issues which I won't go into too much detail but I was bullied in one of my jobs.Since we have been here we have lost Mick's step dad of 30 years and my Mum has had cancer in one of her kidneys.There is no doubt that it is the hardest thing I have ever done but I have no regrets now.I think it just takes time and if my new job works out life will now feel very close to perfect .

Sharon.x

Thanks for the update ajford :) Its good to hear you are working and settling in well. I can't believe its 5 months since you arrived there! Time has flown. It hardly seems 5 minutes ago you were still back this side of the globe.

I think the things I am taking from your post are that you are settling in well, you all sound happy and are looking forward to the future there. Sure things are not always great but if the foundations are solid and you are actually liking being there, then usually the hardships can be worked through.

I remember 30C or so didn't seem too bad once I'd been there a while but when it crept up to 35C for a bit I did struggle. Although you do gradually adjust to it over time. It always makes me laugh when my MIL comes over to our UK summer and wears thick fleeces, layers of clothes and even has gloves! And says its really cold. Hubby and I are in tee shirts and shorts and she is wrapped up like we are in winter! My hubby never got on with the climate in Adelaide. He might be an Aussie but that was the one thing about growing up there he didn't relish as he is a redhead and so the sun and heat are not great news for him.

Anyways, be sure to keep us updated.

Stringfellows, firstly, sorry to hear about your family. It does make things harder doesn't it. But you sound like you are coping and that all the hardships and stresses are slowly working themselves out.

Shame about the job front for you, especially the bullying, but I do hope the new job works out for you. And glad you've found an area you like and are happy in. Things like that really make a difference to how you feel about being somewhere new.

Anyways, be sure to keep us updated from time to time as it is always good to read.