To all who have settled here!

Guest Guest75

Good day all,

We've been here now 4 years, the first year was absolute hell for us, was defineltly returning to the UK, nobody could settle, then we just did, enjoying life here so much now, we will never return for more than a holiday.

This is the first Christmas that I didnt feel homesick or even a pang, life here is just getting better and better and better.

Made some really good friends here now, it makes all the difference, so we'll all be on the beach at Semaphore to see the fireworks. Happy New Year to you all xxxx

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a lovely thread to read! I came to Adelaide in Nov 2007 - was on a working holiday with no plans on staying on after a year - but in August 2008 found and got my 'dream job' and they sponsored me. Met my partner a while later, we bought a house a year or so ago and the rest is history! Here is definitely home and I'm here for the forseeable future - though I would happily live in the UK again too (or elsewhere) and whilst I'm happy here now, don't rule out living back in the UK for a year or so or longer in the future. For now though, Adelaide is very much where I want to be. I've been back 3 times in 4 years and my parents came out last Christmas - with Mum arriving for her second holiday this morning (currently napping!)

Each time we do airport goodbyes I ask myself why I've chosen to stay on the other side of the world, but I'm lucky I'm able to travel back to the UK often and my parents are able to visit here too.

Adelaide has been great for me - I have a very stressy and anxious personality and living here has really chilled me out - I am far more relaxed than I used to be. I've been in my job 3 and a half years and whilst everywhere has it's annoyances, I really feel very lucky to work where I do (plus much less competition to get the role here, and much better pay). Living 200m from the beach is fabulous - if I were to leave I'd miss walking/swimming/sunsets terribly. Other things I love about living in Adelaide are camping trips and roadtrips, fabulous and affordable restaurants, the Fringe, outdoorsy lifestyle and BBQ's, spending summer afternoons at the beach or outdoor pools reading and swimming, the fabulous friends I've made, the Moonlight Cinema in summer with a picnic from the Central Markets, the wonderful fresh produce, eating dinner or having a wine or two on our balcony while the sunsets any night of the week and feeling like I'm on holiday oh and the WINE! I've always loved wine but living so close to such great wine regions has really opened my eyes - being able to drive to McLaren Vale in half an hour for a day of wineries/lunch is my idea of heaven and something I'd really miss if I moved away from Adelaide. (saying that, I miss affordable French wine, but you can't have it both ways!)

I do miss lots about the UK too but this isn't the thread for that! The internet, facebook and Skype are definitely essentials for me in keeping in touch with friends and family in the UK - being able to see each other is such a bonus and whilst I know some people aren't interested in holidaying 'back home', for me I love it. It's frustrating that that doesn't leave much money/annual leave free for going somewhere on a 'proper holiday' as in somewhere new, but I love going back to the UK to catch up with people, then adding on some side trips to Europe.

Adelaide is definitely a great place - I've met so many people and find Australians to be warm and welcoming. In the various temp roles I had in my first 6 months here, everyone went out of their way to invite me to events, lend me things, give advice etc. I also find customer service here 10 times better than in the UK and really like how friendly people are - in the UK some people border on almost suspicious. I feel safer here too - I walk around places I never would as a lone female in the UK and don't worry so much about things like locking my car outside my house if I'm popping in for a few minutes.

Finally, I think Adelaide has a great arts and live music scene for a city of its size - it's no London, but there is lots on - you just need to be a little more pro active in seeking it out.

Hi laura,

I remember your early posts and how desperate you felt at times and I remember feeling the same way. Great to hear that you are finally settled and life is good. I am happier ping-ponging as I get to see my family every six months and consider myself to have the best of both worlds - yay! Have a very happy new year.

Good day all,

We've been here now 4 years, the first year was absolute hell for us, was defineltly returning to the UK, nobody could settle, then we just did, enjoying life here so much now, we will never return for more than a holiday.

This is the first Christmas that I didnt feel homesick or even a pang, life here is just getting better and better and better.

Made some really good friends here now, it makes all the difference, so we'll all be on the beach at Semaphore to see the fireworks. Happy New Year to you all xxxx

We have been here nearly 2 years now and absolutely love it. Currently living in Brighton (renting) just a stones throw from the beach. We had no jobs lined up when we came but we all found work fairly quickly. I took the longest (2 months) but secretly enjoyed the furlough! My wife was working within 2 weeks and my daughter started work at a local hair salon and finished her training as a hairdresser.

It hasn't been all plain sailing though. Our son had a difficult first year, missing his UK friends and girlfriend, hated his school, hated Adelaide and probably hated us, his parents for dragging him here! A year later, with a new school, a job in a pizza outlet and a great bunch of mates, his attitude has changed completely. My wife Gail has also found it difficult at times, missing her family greatly. But she, like the rest of us, loves the lifestyle here. We bought a dog last year, a chocolate labrador called Milo (what else?) and we go for a walk on the beach most evenings and as we watch the most beautiful sunsets imaginable, we joke to each other that we should pinch ourselves just in case we are dreaming!

Guest munsters

In brief: Moved to SA in 2009 - Victor Harbor - beautiful part of the world. Unfortunately had to return to UK and couldn't find another sponsor.

Moved to WA in 2011 - Geraldton - absolutely loving it.

If at first you don't suceed - try and try again - 'wanting to go back to UK - no way'

Flights booked for May 2013 to visit mates in Plympton, Port Noarlunga & Victor. - Good call.

Guest Barney Rubble

Well . . . ..

have trawled through heaps of posts on this topic but here goes.

Arrived in late 80's, leaving all family behind & knowing just one person, friend of in-laws:skeptical:

Both back in 1990 (plus 1)

All back in 2004 (huge RTW holiday)

Still live in first house in Northern Suburbs,

Been to Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast for holidays.

work hard, always employed, nice circle of friends, both Aussie and english.

Individually been back 3 times each.

A pound a minute for England to call here in late 80's :shocked:

Will always cheer for the poms in sport at everything,

If the Poms are not playing then i'll cheer for the Aussies with the same passion:wink:

If The Poms play the Aussies at anything . . . . . . . it's BBQ & beers at the park, or at the Oval or even the MCG.

Have helped a couple of families settle here, some decided to go back (well one actually) so seen both sides of the fence.

Top 3's

Hard to:

1. Say goodbye at Airports. (Say 'See you later')

2. Having a week where it tops 40 every day

3. Understand why some people cannot smell roses

Easy to:

1. Relax

2. Drive

3. Beach

Funny part is that in my 20 + years of being here, a lot of us have probably walked right past each other in the shops or at the beaches, maybe we should have little members tie pins or badges.

Cheerio

BR

Glad to read you have enjoyed the the thread Andy. I hope it gives people inspiration and advice.:cute:

I am trying encorage as many people as possible to post in here.

Kind of like "Pay it Forward".

Lots of people are on the site for about 2 years and once settled don't need us so much once happily settled - c'mon guys!! Pop back in and give a report!!!!:smile:

Okay Tyke, here goes.

We came over because we could. We came from a lovely place in Kent, pretty, good community etc but my husband had itchy feet and a dream lol. So, seven Christmases here and here we still are.

We were lucky from the get-go. On Arrival Accomodation was very handy although fair grim when we first saw it- basic, clean but not homely- but we knew how very lucky we were to have it.

Over the next couple of weeks we set to recreate our life in the UK so bought a house, found a primary school for the kids, my OH got a job plus all the usual stuff. We are pretty positive people with a strong family unit and this, plus luck, helped us settle in really quickly.

My OH was prepared to go back on the tools but the agency he went to found him more appropriate work. He's gone from strength to strength, had some amazing jobs and is happy. He has about an hour commute each way, but still gets home earlier so we can enjoy our time together.

I was lazy for a while, then through a series of vollie work, childcare etc, ended up back where I came from, working with kids in school. Which I love.

The kids have gone through primary school, high school and now (for one) uni. They love their lives here and it's been good. Better than the UK? Who knows? But they are happy and proud to be Australian so what more can I ask?

Life here is good, we are happy and feel that we have become part of the community. Adelaide is a small place and I feel great that we seem to have become part of the community. People forget where you come from and just take you for what you are. Not who....just what. I love it.

I am very proud to have an Australian passport and humbled that so many good people have been so open, honest and welcoming and made us feel at home.

I have to be honest now, my friend (English) and I joined this site when it was new, just as a bit of a laugh. Well, we had our laugh and managed to 'meet' ( virtually as we didn't really meet anyone from this site, except Donnarunna I think). I don't post that much as I tend to leave it to the newbies so they can share their excitement and knowledge, which is the way it should be. That said, I do add a few words every now and then - specially when I'm on enforced hols! - and I would like to think I might have helped, just a little bit, over our few years here.

LC

I just realised, I don't think there's anything negative in my post lol!

That's not because bad things haven't happened, it's because we get through them....and forget them! (We're not very deep!)

We've dealt with redundancy, kids being bullied (not because they're migrants though), we still have to watch our money and still occasionally have my card declined lol, we've had family in the UK diagnosed with cancer etc etc

But that wasn't because of our move, I'm afraid bad things happen anywhere. It's just life :)

So, that's why my post might sound suspiciously happy!

LC (again!)

Guest Barney Rubble
I just realised, I don't think there's anything negative in my post lol!

That's not because bad things haven't happened, it's because we get through them....and forget them! (We're not very deep!)

We've dealt with redundancy, kids being bullied (not because they're migrants though), we still have to watch our money and still occasionally have my card declined lol, we've had family in the UK diagnosed with cancer etc etc

But that wasn't because of our move, I'm afraid bad things happen anywhere. It's just life :)

So, that's why my post might sound suspiciously happy!

LC (again!)

Well you obviously have no problem with smelling the roses :wink:

The one thing i have re-iterated to each person who asks the penultimate question is to put something away just incase you have to go back, and it's not just money you know.

you have to know in your heart that what you are doing is right, we are all getting older.

Have sent wife back three times due to various family issues, the 2 - 3am call in the morning is not good.

As for the CC being cancelled, never had that happen, but then wife does the accounts so thanks LC, maybe i had better check up on her now and again.

Cheers

BR

Well you obviously have no problem with smelling the roses :wink:

The one thing i have re-iterated to each person who asks the penultimate question is to put something away just incase you have to go back, and it's not just money you know.

you have to know in your heart that what you are doing is right,

As for the CC being cancelled, never had that happen, but then wife does the accounts so thanks LC, maybe i had better check up on her now and again.

Lol Barney R, my credit card hasn't been cancelled yet thank goodness! That would be a real bugger cos it's our emergency back-up! No, it was just the ol' keycard so no real prob just something I hadn't encountered before coming over. And I guess if I ever bothered to ask for an overdraft facility it wouldn't happen here either!

You are so right about putting money to one side, even if it's just lurking in the mortgage. It isn't cheap to go to the UK and finding the money when you are already stressed out must be a nightmare. Better to keep it from the get-go. Once spent it can be hard to re-save.

I do all the accounts in our home too, so don't you worry...just sit back and relax. You are in good hands. (well, that's what I tell my husband hahaha!)

LC

• 3 months later...
Guest Barney Rubble
Lol Barney R, my credit card hasn't been cancelled yet thank goodness! That would be a real bugger cos it's our emergency back-up! No, it was just the ol' keycard so no real prob just something I hadn't encountered before coming over. And I guess if I ever bothered to ask for an overdraft facility it wouldn't happen here either!

You are so right about putting money to one side, even if it's just lurking in the mortgage. It isn't cheap to go to the UK and finding the money when you are already stressed out must be a nightmare. Better to keep it from the get-go. Once spent it can be hard to re-save.

I do all the accounts in our home too, so don't you worry...just sit back and relax. You are in good hands. (well, that's what I tell my husband hahaha!)

LC

Still not convinced your not my wife :skeptical:

Or at least her alta-ego :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest moviemummy

Great thread.

We've been in Adelaide for just over 8 months now. Time really does fly.

OH and I both work, him full time me part time. Kids found it very easy to make friends. I always seem to have a house full! Which I think is a great thing for my kids.

We have just welcomed a new member to our family, a beautuiful wee tabby cat. So I guess that says it all, we feel settled enough to have a pet.

Things can be very overwhelming at times, even with masses of pre move planning. Some things are the same, some things take a bit of getting used to. Food prices seem at first to be very high, but you need to remember you are earning in dollars and not to keep converting back to pounds sterling. If your income in not based on sterling it is irrelevant.

The weather is amazing. The beaches are amazing. Wine...well that's amazing too! People that we have met, on the whole have been helpful and welcoming. We said 'yes' to every invite for the first 6 months. Now have pulled back a bit to suit our lifestyle. We are not big social animals.

We had a rental arranged before we left Scotland. Was fantastic as it went a long way to settle us all quickly. After 6 months we realised the location and size of house didn't best suit our family, so we broke our lease and moved to a smaller house in an area better suited to us. Now hoping to buy around about here.

You will have good days, great days and exceptional days. We all have. You will also have low days, being overwhelmed by the changes and missing family/friends. We always think back to why we wanted to be here and that pulls us through. Our lifestyle here is laidback and very relaxed. That is what we came for.

Worst thing so far...having to shave my legs daily cause I'm always in shorts! Best thing so far...being happy working part time and being able to be there for my family.

Sorry to go on a bit! Happy to answer questions if PM'ed.

Thanks

Laura

PS

Heaps Good, you're a legend! x

Guest sarahtwinn82

Been here nearly 2 years, 2 kids, 18 &13. Struggled a bit at first but wouldn't change our lives at all, Australia has so many more plus's than the UK. Yes it gets a bit chilly in the winter but buy an electric blanket and give the kids a fleecy throw, it's very short lived and soon gets warm again. Food is the same price and petrol half the price. Fruit and veg is way more fresh and tasty. Loads to do and see and you can get pissed for free wine tasting in Mclaren vale or the Barossa, to be quite honest you can get absolutley hammered so long as you have a designated driver...lol.

Guest Paula H

Thank you Tyke for starting this thread, I have just read it through (& past my lunch hour) and I CANT BLIMMIN WAIT TO COME OUT IN SEPT!!!

147days and counting.... feels like forever....

Thanks Tyke - been catching up from page 1.

Still at the 'head in the clouds'/'pinch me, I must be dreaming' stage even after 6 months. Can't believe how smoothly everything went but we had planned and planned, researched and researched a bit more. We were lucky that we had 5 annual holidays with our family before we made the one-way trip so we had a pretty good idea what our new life might be like.

I miss our son back in the UK but he's coming for a long visit at the end of the year so counting down the days. Other than that I miss very little. Adelaide is our home now and we have made loads of new friends (mainly Aussies) already. As we are pensioners and not working we have to be careful as all our income comes from the UK and therefore dependant on fluctuating exchange rates but we love the simpler lifestyle and laid back attitude here. Luckily our savings are earning a good rate and the interest on the AOS which our daughter put up (we paid for) also provides a quarterly bonus for treats.

The beaches and wine regions are very close and there's so much to see and do. We love driving in the Adelaide hills and freqent the Farmer's Market at Willunga. We also love Victor Harbor, Port Elliot and Goolwa for day trips. Clive has joined Probus and the local bowls club and I've taken up quilting and run weekly card making classes from home. We are also members of a lively church and involved in community projects. May not be everyone's idea of fun but it suits us down to the ground.

We expected our bills to be higher particularly as our lovely new home is much larger than our old 3 bed semi but they are actually a little cheaper and we only have one car now - a huge saving. We try to have frequent short breaks to explore this glorious country staying in cabins mainly or using travel auction sites to bid for cut price holidays. Really noticing the cold now as this is our first winter without central heating and double glazing, but the duckdown duvet and hotwater bottles are coming in handy and if it gets too cold we just have an early night and read in bed. Being retired, we don't have to get up early for work either!

We love this country and are proud to call it home. Yes, there are faults and a few negatives but we try not to dwell on those. Nowhere is perfect but, for us, Adelaide comes close!

Someone said "but you need to remember you are earning in dollars and not to keep converting back to pounds sterling. If your income in not based on sterling it is irrelevant" - This is true for most on here but not for us sadly, but we'd rather be poor and happy here than poor and miserable back in the UK! We'll cope and continue to enjoy our wonderful new life in Australia whatever the £/$!

Edited by jtct
added a PS

Guest Guest75

Blimey!!! This thread is still going................................................great stuff!!

Thanks to all who post. I am sure you know how much it means to those reading this in the UK :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Guest Guest75
Still not convinced your not my wife :skeptical:

Or at least her alta-ego :confused:

Ooooh dear. I know LC and her persevering hubby!!!

You dare to compare!!!

Guest Barney Rubble
Wow! So you're saying there are two of us? Both financially responsible, humorous (you should see my hubby!), gorgeous young women?

Mrs Rubble sounds fantastic!

:wubclub: LC

Yep Betty is fantastic . . . .

Gorgeous :rolleyes:

Young :nah:

She is in Melbourne shopping, not back until tomorrow :unsure:

Cannot believe my luck, four days of being a normal male :biglaugh:

Paper plates, plastic cutlery, and best of all, the rubbish bins go out tomorrow before she gets back so all the evidence is gone :jiggy:

Guest Guest75

Be careful with LC,she will reel you in and then you find out what a she devil she is!!!!!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I found out after the incident with the pink budgie smugglers!!!:embarressed:

Guest Ledges

We have been here 2 and a half years and love it. We would never go back to the UK...mind you before we came we said if we didn't like Oz we'd just go somewhere else as despite living in beautiful safe York we could see the UK didn't have a good future for our kids.

Our youngest 4 at the time settled no prob...although she missed our dog which with hindsight I'd have brought. Our 13 year old son struggled ...he missed his wide circle of friends but after about 7 months started to settle and now at 16 is really settled..goes to parties, is in sports clubs etc and is loving having his Ls . He went back for a visit on his own this Jan which seemed to help him settle more...despite him being a celebrity back in our home town and having a total ball over there.Our eldest daughter came to validate her visa then went back to live with her boyfriend and had a baby. A hard time to be away from her but we've survived it and have a really strong relationship. We've paid for them all to come out every year and now they have decided they want to come and live here too. So we are about to apply for visas for her baby and partner. Our agent says they should get them and could be here with 6 months :)

We set up the monthly 1st Sunday of the month meetups so we could meet people when we arrived as we'd never been to Oz before. The first 2 months no one turned up but after 5 months 54 people turned up. We have made some great friends though these. We have kept them going..not really for us but to help other new arrivals make friends etc. Long lasting friendships are made at these all the time.

We found a house, bought and moved in within 4 weeks of landing....someone was obviously looking out for us as our furniture also arrived on the day we got the keys...which also just happened to be our wedding anniversary. We live in Hallett Cove which we love as its so easy to get to most places and ...but are now thinking we'd like an acreage.

We love the long summer and hot weather. We love the friendly south australian people. We love the outdoors lifestyle, the beaches, the barbies. We love having family stay in our house living with us for weeks/months...feels so much different than it would in the UK. We are settled. After 2.5 years I am just about at the point where I no longer call UK home. Wish we could take citizenship now !