adelaide - english climate

Guest Nomoreengland

Did you research this before you decided to move to Adelaide?I was only tellling OH this morning how sometimes at Xmas in Adelaide,it was cool enough to wear a cardigan!Its obviously not scorching every day,and its unrealistic to expect it to be.I've experienced 47c and believe you me,it aint pretty!

I have a pic of me on Port Noarlunga beach Christmas Day 2005 (I think, or maybe 2006) .......... I was wearing my thick winter coat, jeans, jumper, a scarf and boots. It was that cold and miserable I could have been on Bognor beach :biglaugh:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Martin and Val

Enjoy this unusual strange weather pattern while it lasts. You'll soon be complaining your toooooooo hot and that the night time drop in temp is simply not helping you cool off! +40 degrees for a few days followed by a power cut so no air-con and the pool is still 38 degrees so no relief there either. :biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
We are in a La Nina weather pattern this year ........ it will be cooler and wetter than the last few years of El Nino (dry, hot, drought) ................ perfectly normal, comes round every few years or so, and thank goodness for that otherwise this country would be in a permanent drought. When you've been here as long as I have you'll get used to the varying weather patterns.

I'm in the Del Monte pattern and have a strange fascination with tinned fruit...:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest moonraker1959
How could you???? Wiki says its only been 46. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Well maybe you should be telling someone from the met office,because it definately reached 47c.I remember it well,and infact was talking to my best mate on skype a month ago about that day.We both lived in the same town.Not sure whats so funny?Explain?

I actually like this weather :) It will be hot enough later. It has snowed before, but only on Mount Lofty and in typical Ads style everyone went to sight see......Awwww I love this place and the enthusiasm of its people.....remember the free shuttle buses to the new airport on its open days....then it didn't actually open.....and the crowds going down to see the Queen Mary 2 at Outer harbour. Don't worry bushfire weather will come, it's not pleasant, but at least it's not humid.

Hi,

Ive lived in Adelaide now for about 4 moinths and to be honest there is not much difference between Adelaide and england in terms of weather.

For all of you reading this who are choosing to migrate somewhere in Oz I would think twice about adelaide with its weather. Put it this way, in the evening the temperature drops to about 9 or maybe 10 degrees which is hardly warm and the daytime is about 21 degrees most days and we are well into summer now. Its been warm enough maybe 3 times since ive been here to go to the beach and its too cold to have a bbq at night time.

I've been out here almost 4 years and we are having much cooler weather than normal! Last year, we had 2 consecutive weeks of 40C+ and at night it didn't drop much cooler, so there was no relief. In truth, I'm thankful of this cooler weather because when it gets over 38C, it feels like you're on fire and can get quite unbearable, so don't knock it as you'll soon be quick to wish it was this cool again!!:cute: Try switching your oven on at 200C and leaving the door open, then stand in front of it and then you'll see how warm it feels when we get high temps!

That's not the norm as others have said. I think like other countries Australia is experiencing some against type weather conditions recently.

I know when I was there are Easter it was the other side of 30C, hot at night also. And before when I've been there its been well above 30C in early summer. And when my husband was still living there, even in recent years, they had really hot summers with weeks of 35C plus. Last year even my mother in law, who loves the heat complained about it being the other side of 40C for too long there.

I don't think anyone mislead you or lied about the climate. I do think that its unusual but then other places are also experiencing different weather and conditions than they would normally expect for the season.

I'm still in the UK, in Bridgnorth, Shropshire & it's been snowing most of the day with minus 10 - 12 forecast overnight. Please tell me it doesn't get that cold in Adelaide

I've been over here just a couple of years now and the coldest I've know it is about 4 degree's but I it gets colder than that in the hills where they've had a frost.

Honestly I can understand the poor chap feeling cheated its been unseasonable mild at the mo. I've only been here a couple of years but the last couple of Summers have been hot, hot, hot with February and March being very, very hot.

Recommend you go out and explore while you can, when that heat comes you'll only want to cool down and do as little as poss.

Adelaide is a fabulous place for those coming over.

Julie

Guest puff the dragon
Well I have lived here for 2 years and experienced long hot summers the likes of which I never saw in the UK, Greece or Cyprus or Spain. We have just returned from a trip to the UK where the average daily temp for the entire hliday was -10c!!! Now i'll be the first to admit that I think Adelaide is cold in winter but I will argue anyone down that the temps have ever been to such extremes hot or cold on both continents!

As for recommending another state, what difference do you really think it will make to your life. You will only find something else to grumble about like you do and have about everything else to do with Australia. If you don't like the place then hop on a plane and go back to the snow!!!

How predictable

'If you dont like it get on a plane and go" for some people here its not that easy!many people are stuck here due to circumstances

Guest Guest75
Well maybe you should be telling someone from the met office,because it definately reached 47c.I remember it well,and infact was talking to my best mate on skype a month ago about that day.We both lived in the same town.Not sure whats so funny?Explain?

I remember it as 47.5c!!!

It was stooopid hot!

Guest Chandan

I got a MMS over a two years ago now, when I was living in London and my brother here in Adelaide . It was a picture of his car dash board showing the temp of 39 degrees Centigrade.. it also showed the time 23:55 !!!

However.. I promised my husband, "no, no, dont worry Adelaide is a dry heat.. you dont sweat like you do on a 22 degree cent. in London.. its lovely..." then we return to a somewhat very tropical Adelaide..Oopss -dont tell him I admit being wrong lol..

Havent read any of the posts except the last two.. but had to giggle the other day when i saw a bumper sticker on a car "Australia, if you dont love it, LEAVE".... Think every country should have their own version.. lol

Guest fluxsta
I think adelaide has only been 46 degrees once since records began so that just a total exeggaration. Like ive said before, since ive been here its been crap weather and now its summer the temperature in the day hovers around 21 degrees with the occasionl day of 28 once a month which it simular to england. When i migrated here i was told that adelaide has a med climate - no way does it!

Erm, hello!!!??? I sit here doing a night shift and the current UK temperature where I am in the south is -7 c. As a family who is trying to find the funds and work to emigrate to Oz I find these kind of comments a little, how shall I say it? Ungrateful.............

if you don't like the temperature move to Kenya or central Africa, you will now heat then! I find it really interesting that this thread is about 5 pages long. From my perspective here in a snowy, gridlocked country that appears unable to cope with a dribble of snow, the chance of even 15 degrees is very very appealing.....cheer up and enjoy........

Right off to dig my car out and try and drive (slide) home from work to make sure I enjoy another housebound day with my 3 kids due to the treacherous ice rink that is my road, and that finds us unable to dare risk taking the car out...

Enjoy the weather all, or come join us and come armed with snow ploughs and a copy of the Daily Mail to scoff and grumble......man, enjoy the darn sun will ya!!

10,15,25 or 40 degrees....who cares, it ain't -7 to 10 degrees

:arghh::realmad:

Guest trent zizmondo

Most days here including winter have blue skies, winter has stayed a little long this year,this country suits positive minded people, for those with the glass half empty attitude can I recommend Adelaide airport.

Erm, hello!!!??? I sit here doing a night shift and the current UK temperature where I am in the south is -7 c. As a family who is trying to find the funds and work to emigrate to Oz I find these kind of comments a little, how shall I say it? Ungrateful.............

if you don't like the temperature move to Kenya or central Africa, you will now heat then! I find it really interesting that this thread is about 5 pages long. From my perspective here in a snowy, gridlocked country that appears unable to cope with a dribble of snow, the chance of even 15 degrees is very very appealing.....cheer up and enjoy........

Right off to dig my car out and try and drive (slide) home from work to make sure I enjoy another housebound day with my 3 kids due to the treacherous ice rink that is my road, and that finds us unable to dare risk taking the car out...

Enjoy the weather all, or come join us and come armed with snow ploughs and a copy of the Daily Mail to scoff and grumble......man, enjoy the darn sun will ya!!

10,15,25 or 40 degrees....who cares, it ain't -7 to 10 degrees

:arghh::realmad:

agreed, im in scotland at the moment, you guys down south are getting what we had last week, id swap for even a day of 10c just so i can go outside my house without the risk of slipping on my icerink of a street.... the worst part is.... round 2 is yet to hit us....

Guest ReadyPenny

mmmm it is somewhat entertaining!!!!! If you already live here that is, as you can laugh at the distorted view, but for folks still in England, well I wouldnt like them to be put off!!!!

Is Wurzel back using another "disguise" :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:?????

Come on guys..leave NME alone.

Yeah I too preferred 'Melody Maker'. :biglaugh:

I guess on a similar kind of short term here thing would be........ if you watched Adelaide United during the last 3 weeks you would have said they were a weak Aussie team. If you had seen them all season you will know this isn't the case. :jimlad: