Suburbs - Location - Where to settle?

Guest Ian Butler

Guest Ian Butler

Hi Everyone!

My wife and I, along with our baby girl (18 weeks), are looking to move to Adelaide in July 2012. We have our visas but just need to figure out where to settle!!! It's really confusing and we don't know where to start looking (in terms of areas).

Ideally we would love a house (rent first) close to the coast and maybe about 30 – 45 mins drive to the city. I suppose what we are looking for is somewhere with a bit of a community, but also with things to do, like local shopping, coffee shops, restaurants etc – somewhere safe for our little girl to grow up. It terms of affordability we would be looking at around $400k (could be more depending on exchange rates) – it would be amazing to have a house with a pool 3 - 4 beds in a nice location. I have been looking at areas around Hallet Cove, but really haven’t got much of a clue as yet!

Any ideas of where to consider (or even avoid) would be much appreciated.

Currently living around Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire boarder UK

Ian – 36, primary school teacher (and new dad)

Claire – 32, primary school teacher (now a full time mum)

Amelia – 18 weeks (full time attention required)

:nah:

It all depends on what your priorties and to be honest a lot depends on where you strat from when you first arrive.

Take a lok at these threads they might be helpful

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/education/17414-primary-school-reviews.html

and this one

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/22911-suburbs-schools-research.html

Think Hallet cove is a good place to start personally I love it down here in Port Noarlunga there is more to do here (just my opinion)

Good luck

Michelle

Guest liotis

Hi,

I live in Hallett Cove and its great because out of the rat race. When the train line works its just a 20 minute trip to the city, by car it can take up to 3/4 hour with the traffic. They are redoing all the trainlines and its not running at the moment, but should be back to normal in a month or two. You can take a bus and train and still get to the city even now, but I prefer to drive these days.

I love the coast line in the cove and there are wonderful boardwalks along the geologically interesting cliff faces - its lovely.

Hope that helps.

Guest Ian Butler

Thank you. This certainly helps, I'll get some reading done and do a bit more research! :) It looks lovely on the internet but is always reassuring when you get info from a local source.

Guest liotis

Wish I could include pictures in replies so I could show you how lovely it is. There are quite a few scottish people in this area and it makes lots of sense to me. Especially in winter it has a feel of scottland - bit crazy to say about such a warm climate. But its rugged and has magic

I would take a look at Willunga, Mclaren Vale or Mclaren Flat too if you are looking for a community feel. We live in Aldinga but our boys go to school in Willunga and we have friends that live in Mclaren Flat - we go to lots of community events in both of these places. Both have restaraunts and cafes and a lovely 'feel'!

Guest guest3462

We're down in Aldinga and love it here, our kids also go to Willunga school and the community spirit is great. I also have a new baby girl! Where abouts on the Notts/Derby border are you? Rich is from Stapleford

Julia

Guest Ian Butler

Thanks for these posts - they are great.

We live in a place called South Normanton. It's next to Alfreton (Derbys) and the closest bigger town is Mansfield, but we prefer to go into Nottingham to go shopping or visit the city (myself going to watch Nottingham Forest play - I'll miss the match but a small price to pay!).

I'm just looking into teaching jobs at the moment and have hit a snag. I've been a primary school teacher for 6 years but qualified by doing a GTP (Graduate teacher programme), it looks like it isn't recognised in Australia as they don't run this type of course. Some forums say that you can teach in independent schools others still say that is also tricky… so it's either re-train or re-skill. Hopefully something will come along to make things easier!

:nah:

Guest Guest75
Wish I could include pictures in replies so I could show you how lovely it is. There are quite a few scottish people in this area and it makes lots of sense to me. Especially in winter it has a feel of scottland - bit crazy to say about such a warm climate. But its rugged and has magic

Some good pics in the Travel and Recreation section of around the place :cute:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/travel-recreation/

Guest Ryan T. Lion

...It's next to Alfreton (Derbys) ...

Ah, the nights I have spent in Alfreton Tunnel.........

Good luck with everything. My wife is a Primary School Teacher and is doing all the forms etc now (ish)....... I think you have to pay AU$100 to have your qualifications verified - then there's all the police checks etc..... not easy!

Before deciding on somewhere to live, I'd wait to find out where you might be working. One of the teachers at my kids' school (in the Eastern suburbs) lives in Happy Valley (in the South) - his OH found a job first near there so that's where they settled - and was saying what a pain he finds the commute, especially when there are out of hours things he has to attend.

As you will see on any of the driving threads, Adelaide roads (and the company of Adelaide drivers) are not the most fun places to spend a large amount of time! Mind you, had to laugh at the local news the other day: "traffic nightmare for commuters on South Road this morning: some drivers were held up for nearly half an hour".....

I have to agree with Diane, I'd wait and see where you're working! We started off in Modbury North, which is a lovely suburb and we were really close to all the local stuff but Lindley was working in Keswick and while the Obahn's great to get you into town from there, anywhere South of the centre's useless. We've just moved to Keswick and while the area we're in now isn't as nice, the change to the commute more than makes up for it!

Any thoughts on living in Woodcroft and Reynella?

Thanks

Karen

Very good areas, we stayed there when we first arrived and have friends there. Good schools both primary and secondary and affordable housing too. Check out the threads on my original post should give you a bit more to think about.

Any thoughts on living in Woodcroft and Reynella?

Thanks

Karen

Not good if your job is in the eastern, north eastern or north western suburbs though!

Do a search for threads by a member on here called Nick11 regarding teaching here. Best not to limit yourself workwise by limiting your options, I'd have thought.