Anyone else find it a bit dull here??

Guest theclarkes

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't find anything to do any time of the year here I don't think you could anywhere in the world, s**t me I'm only just over 30, don't know many people yet am always out and about doing stuff, anywhere in the world can seem boring, the place is like life, it's what you make of it

I would just like to say very well said. I also would like to add that generally speaking, people who find things boring, or get bored with thing very quickly, are mostly boring people. Just an opinion based on observation.

RICK.

Guest guest9403

Im not loving it here as ive already said....but for me its more to do wit my family back home that im missing,doesnt matter where in de world i was right now....home it aint!!!But after makin this huge move im putting on de smile and gettin on wit things...hoping that my hubby will say right were off home soon....:-)

I would just like to say very well said. I also would like to add that generally speaking, people who find things boring, or get bored with thing very quickly, are mostly boring people. Just an opinion based on observation.

RICK.

YOu can tell JOn that nxt time you see him then, cos he gets bored with things very quickly. Sure he will be chuffed to bits to know that he falls into that category :sad:

I just typed a huge reply then lost it *cries*

Ok - well maybe ask yourself what would you do if you were bored in the UK? As although I agree Adelaide can feel quite sleepy, and I do miss lots of the atmosphere and 'lots going on' part of the UK (well, London really) there is sooo much to do here if you look beyond the obvious. I agree big time with Snifter re the Gold Coast - to me it's super tacky - I'd feel like I was living somewhere like Magaluf and find it pretty much aimed at tourists... but of course, each to their own. I've visited all the other capital cities a few times and the only other place I'd live is Melbourne - love it there - but happy to live in Adelaide and spend a few weekends a year in Melbourne - mainly for a good shopping fix and to feel that 'big city' atmosphere.

Also re the 'overrun with poms' - hmmm I disagree. In my 4 years here I started out knowing mainly other Europeans (but no poms) as I moved into a sharehouse of six in Glenelg - so hung out mainly with working holiday-makers and international students here for a semester/a year. Now, most of my friends are Australian/from all over the world - maybe 5% are English. I guess that's because as well as meeting people from these kind of sites, I've also made a real effort to build up my social circle by attending professional networking events reguarly, using online dating/friend type sites (to meet friends), joining the facebook expats in Adelaide group, saying yes to EVERYTHING to meet people through friends of friends and using my work network.

I've been here 4 years and am 27 and VERY social so hope I'm well placed to make a few suggestions.

- Live music: Google listings on Rip It Up - my fave venues are The Wheatsheaf Hotel (also has great independent wines, beers & whiskies - and is a lovely pub all round), The Gov, The Grace Emily and the Ed Castle

- Wineries - check out some boutique cellar doors and smaller producers - PM me for suggestions if you like

- Drive on the beach at Silver Sands and set up for the day with a BBQ and enjoy a swim

- Spend a weekend camping/in a cabin at Robe, Southern Flinders or Yorke Peninsula - all within 3/4 hours of Adelaide, so do-able for a couple of nights' break

- Instead of the supermarket, shop at the Central Markets or even better IMO the farmers markets in Wayville, buy something out of the ordinary and cook something new

- Spend a day on the gorgeous southern beaches- I love Yankalilla, Second Valley and Rapid Bay

- Spend a day exploring places in the hills like Stirling - not just Hahndorf

- I've been here 4 years and only discovered Willunga last weekend - super cute tiny town - lovely farmers markets on a Saturday and some very cute shops and cafes to potter in. Also lovely beaches nearby (plus wineries so close!)

- Try an active outdoorsy sport you'd never have tried before - like kite surfing, surfing, camel riding through the wineries, horse riding on the beach. Lots of beaches have surf/sailing clubs that welcome newcomers to come and try. I loved a kayaking day I did on the Port River where we spotted dolphins and kayaked through mangroves and around shipwrecks. I also dragon boated for 6 months when I first moved here - I'd never even heard of it in the UK

- Picnic in the gorgeous Botanic Gardens

- If you're into food and or wine, SA is your playground! There are sooo many food and wine festivals, events and great restaurants. PM me for suggestions if that's your thing. The Cellar Door Wine Festival is on this weekend in the city - an amazing day! Definitely check that out if you're into wine - only $25ish pp including a glass of wine and souvenir glass - so many wineries from all over SA are there. I say this with experience - have a HEARTY brunch beforehand and don't make plans for the evening! =)

- If you're a gym goer, try exercising outdoors - there are heaps of running/walking/cycling groups plus group outdoor fitness places

- Fringe starts this Friday! Spend an evening in the Garden of Unearthly Delights - see a cheap show, have a drink and something to eat and soak up the atmosphere. If you're bored during Adelaide Fringe, then I'm at a loss to help you =)

- I recently started volunteering - your local council will probably have a program - which is great for the soul and also to meet people

- Have you thought about learning new skills? I'm about to start an Introduction to Wine course at the WEA (adult ed. centre in the city) to formalise my love of the grape, but these can also be a great way to have some formal 'me time' and to meet others with similar interests

-

Ok, this has turned into a bit of an essay. I hope it's helpful and there are one or two suggestions that you haven't heard about/considered. PM me for any details on anything particular if you like. I'm sorry you got a few scathing replies - to me, that shouldn't be the nature of any online community. I hope either Adelaide picks up for you once you scratch the surface a little deeper and expand your network (and generally settle in, too) or that you're able to find somewhere that suits you better. Best of luck! And please - enjoy Adelaide Fringe! =)

thanks for that soo the panda... great write up .. there is loads to do in adelaide.. no different to any of the other states.

also in Willunga 2nd saturday of every month as well as the farmers market there is a quarry market too.. equally a great market with crafts, second hand items etc..

Guest kfoley0681

firstly i have to say its so rude how some people respond on here especially when you need help and advice, and doesnt the saying go if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all!!!

now on to your original question, we are a family of 6 and i tend to agree with you. we came from hertforshire and seeked our trop0ical paridise. we were lucky enough to travel for 6 months on arrival and chose to settle in adelaide as we had friends here but 4 years on we have decided its not for us and short of getting in the car and visiting adelaide city or the glenelg theres not much else. we have visited all the torist bits here and why the beaches are ok they are not much different from uk ones aprt from a few months more of heat!!! and to the poster who said go to queensland for the slime and crime what palnet are you on and where did you visit!!! adelaide is known as the murder capital of the world and the locals say oh yeah and didnt you know its the drug capital og australia!! ive never seen and heard of as much crime locally !!! we loved queensland and have made friends up there too. we are now selling our house and doing the move! there is good and bad areas where ever you go in the world and different things appeal to different people maybe boring and simular to uk appeals to others but not for some. maybe visit a few other states for holidays and decide where your tropical paridise is!!!

Guest theclarkes
firstly i have to say its so rude how some people respond on here especially when you need help and advice, and doesnt the saying go if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all!!!

now on to your original question, we are a family of 6 and i tend to agree with you. we came from hertforshire and seeked our trop0ical paridise. we were lucky enough to travel for 6 months on arrival and chose to settle in adelaide as we had friends here but 4 years on we have decided its not for us and short of getting in the car and visiting adelaide city or the glenelg theres not much else. we have visited all the torist bits here and why the beaches are ok they are not much different from uk ones aprt from a few months more of heat!!! and to the poster who said go to queensland for the slime and crime what palnet are you on and where did you visit!!! adelaide is known as the murder capital of the world and the locals say oh yeah and didnt you know its the drug capital og australia!! ive never seen and heard of as much crime locally !!! we loved queensland and have made friends up there too. we are now selling our house and doing the move! there is good and bad areas where ever you go in the world and different things appeal to different people maybe boring and simular to uk appeals to others but not for some. maybe visit a few other states for holidays and decide where your tropical paridise is!!!

Well said, good to read a post from someone who is not too blinkered :wink:.....please let us know how you get on and where you decide to move....