What have you done today to get yourself to Aus?

snifter

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took this list and just removed the stuff that didn't apply to me, some of the time scales didn't fit for me correctly but it gives you a starting point:

(No it is not completely ripped off from British Expats...) :wink:

Before you move:

12 months to go

Make sure you have at least 2 years left on your passports.

Dig out all your personal paperwork, including birth, adoption and marriage certificates, employment refeences, driving licences and qualifications.

Apply for your visas

Update your CV to make it suitable for the Oz/Kiwi market place.

Start job hunting.

Put your house on the market.

Get your finances in order, consolidate bank accounts and reduce debts.

Consider talking to your employer about your migration plans.

Talk to your childrens schools about your plans and ask them to prepare hand-over files.

Discuss your plans with extended family and friends.

6 months to go

Get quotes from removals companies and flights and get them booked.

If you are shipping pets, make sure they are fully innoculated and fir to travel. Your vet can advise you.

Get quotes and book pet shipment.

Sell any unwanted items of furniture and clear out cupboards.

Clean and paint any garden tools and furniture you plan to take. Items with soil on will be denied entry at customs.

Give formal notice to your employer and ensure you get your P45.

Ask your doctor, dentist,optician for your hand-over files.

Open an Oz/Kiwi bank account.

Set up a trading account with a currency broker.

Request credit references from your bank,building society or any other lending agent.

Identify temporary accommodation in case your house sells sooner than expected and you have to move out

2 months to go

Track down temporary accommodation in Oz/NZ.

Book accommodation for each destination on route.

Register children in new schools.

Book accommodation in OZ/NZ for pets.

Start having Goodbye parties now as time runs away at the end.

Organise all birthday cards and presents for the next 3 months.

Request up to date statements on any endowments, pensions and investments.

Depending on your tenancy agreement, give notice to your landlord if renting your property.

1 month to go

Give your change of address to your bank, passport office, DVLA, pension company, inland revenue, insurance brokers and accountants.

Bring council tax and utilities up to date and cancel accounts for TV, internet, phone and insurance.

Go to a car book sale to sell any items you don't want to take with you, or donate them to a charity shop.

Arrange all your post to be redirected to a friend or relative.

Transfer funds to Oz/NZ.

Start packing non essential items.

Collect all hand-over files from doctor, dentist, optician, schools etc.

Arrange some private health cover for Oz/NZ if required.

Pay off any outstanding debts.

Close any surplus bank accounts and destroy unwanted cards.

Shred any personal records you are not taking and dispose of.

Confirm the removalists are booked.

Ensure all your relevant paperwork is in a handy travel file.

Cancel any redundant direct debits or standing orders.

Ask for a copy of your No Claims Bonus from your insurance company.

1 week to go

Cancel any newspapers, milk or satellite TV subscriptions.

Sell your car, bike, van or any other transport you wont be needing.

Cancel car insurance.

Buy some currency for each destination on route to Oz/NZ.

Throw more Goodbye parties!

Ensure that yur gods are either about to leave the UK or are on their way Down Under.

Organise any presents and cards your children may want to send to their friends prior to leaving.

1 day to go

Make sure transport to the airport is organised and will arrive in plenty of time for the flight.

Establish who will be coming to the airport to say goodbye.

Pack activity sets and small gifts to amuse young children on the flight.

Get a good night's sleep

When you get there

On arrival

Pick up a copy of "On Arrival" magazine at the airport; it contains lots of ideas, information and helpful websites.

Collect your hire car and check into your accommodation.

Contact people back home to let them know you have arrival safely.

Try not to sleep through the day.

Set up a Pay-as-you-Go mobile phone to start your off - you can buy a cheap SIM card and use it in your UK phone.

Find your nearest internet cafe for property and area research.

Take a few days to get over the journey and explore the area.

1 week later

Get a tax file number (TFN) for Oz or an IRD number for New Zealand.

Contact your new employer to confirm you have arrived.

Explore the area or suburb you think you would like to live in and ask the locals as many questions as possible.

Meet with rental agents and start reviewing some accommodation property options.

Find a solicitor to help with rental or purchase contracts.

Consider buying a car sooner rather than later. Used cars are cheap if you don't yet qualify for credit.

Get car insurance.

Register at a local school and arrange to meet your children's new teachers.

Get a landline installed and set up internet access.

Invite your neighbours around for drinks and focus on making new friends for you and your children.

1 month later

Review your financial position and transfer more funds if required.

Set up standing orders for utilities.

Register for your local doctor and dentist, and for Medicare (Oz).

Meet with mortgage brokers to understand your borrowing capacity.

Visit your children's schools to ensure that they have settled in ok.

Identify a reliable plumber, electrician and mechanic in your area.

Consider re-writing your will.

Discuss your first month with your employer and resolve any problems that may have cropped up.

Start to attend social functions or join a sports club.

Establish a routine and settle into your new life!

Guest Nixipixi82

I have re-listed some furniture on Gumtree, as i am only getting contacted by time wasters at the moment:wacko:, and my husband told his work that we are leaving the country at the end of Sept. Will be my turn soon, which i am dreading:eek:. Also vac packing some winter clothes, bedding and towels for the ship out next weekend! Lots going on :chatterbox: lol

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've begun packing our lives into boxes.

Its actually the easiest move in a long time as we are donating so much to the charity shops and selling off a fair bit of furniture before we move. Should be about on target to fill a large move cube.

We had about 10 boxes of books worth a few months back, now down to about 4-5 I reckon. Same with DVD's and CD's. Down to one box each. Sorted through all our clothes and hubby and I made a big pile that either didn't fit anymore or we no longer wore or wanted and ended up with 2 black bags worth for the charity shops. He is parting with his cricket bag and gear. Am slowly sorting through my son's toys and taking the odd thing out so it isn't overly noticeable to him some of his stuff is going. He doesn't mind as its his toddler stuff mostly (and he is 5 now) but I don't want to make him feel sad or upset about it or take away a huge chunk in one go. Once he goes back to school after the summer hols then I'll be a bit more ruthless but for now, a bit at a time so I can see my way.

Also made some calls to companies like house insurance as the policy is up for renewal this month. Alas cannot just opt to have cover for a few months, have to take out an entire year policy and they then charge a flat fee cancellation of £37. Seems a few of them do this so am now budgeting for the charges to come.

What else.... o finishing off our garden. We laid a lawn last year (it had been stones) and have one small section to finish off. Should be done this weekend. Makes the garden look so much better and our son has loved having grass to run around on.

I have re-listed some furniture on Gumtree, as i am only getting contacted by time wasters at the moment:wacko:, and my husband told his work that we are leaving the country at the end of Sept. Will be my turn soon, which i am dreading:eek:. Also vac packing some winter clothes, bedding and towels for the ship out next weekend! Lots going on :chatterbox: lol

The thing I've found with Gumtree (at least in our area) is if you price it to sell, you usually don't get the time wasters. People know its a good price so don't haggle (at least not usually), I tell them I have others interested and if they want it, its on hold for 24 hours for them to come collect or the next person in line can have it. I've sold pretty much everything I listed so far doing it this way. I checked to see what people were pricing cots at, around £40, so I priced mine at £25. I'd rather have £25 within a day or two and the cot gone than have it sat around for a few weeks with people wasting my time or not so interested or wanting to haggle down. Did the same with my dining table. Could have sold it 3 times over all for having the price about £30-40 less than similar ones listed. Sure, I don't make as much money but I'd rather not be stuck trying to sell a week before we move or still having it all here.

The thing I've found with Gumtree (at least in our area) is if you price it to sell, you usually don't get the time wasters. People know its a good price so don't haggle (at least not usually), I tell them I have others interested and if they want it, its on hold for 24 hours for them to come collect or the next person in line can have it. I've sold pretty much everything I listed so far doing it this way. I checked to see what people were pricing cots at, around £40, so I priced mine at £25. I'd rather have £25 within a day or two and the cot gone than have it sat around for a few weeks with people wasting my time or not so interested or wanting to haggle down. Did the same with my dining table. Could have sold it 3 times over all for having the price about £30-40 less than similar ones listed. Sure, I don't make as much money but I'd rather not be stuck trying to sell a week before we move or still having it all here.

That's what I did when we did our car boot prior to coming - although somethings I sold early on in the morning and then wished I'd held on a bit longer and got more for, but the point was to not be taking anything home again; so anything that was left (and it wasn't very much) was taken directly to the only charity shop that was open on a Sunday in the town where we lived.

That's what I did when we did our car boot prior to coming - although somethings I sold early on in the morning and then wished I'd held on a bit longer and got more for, but the point was to not be taking anything home again; so anything that was left (and it wasn't very much) was taken directly to the only charity shop that was open on a Sunday in the town where we lived.

That is what we will be doing also nearer the end. Anything left, car boot one morning and then if its decent and left over, charity shop it or if its tat it will go to the tip.

Have also found a second hand furniture shop that will collect any left over furniture from us the morning we are due to leave (or the day before) so we can sit on a few camping chairs till the day we are due to leave and any unsold larger items of furniture, they are welcome to. But hoping to have sold the lot by then.

Guest Nixipixi82

Well i have now sold most of the furniture, just the chest of draws and bookcase to go. I have now told my work that i'm off in 7 weeks (i didn't want to mess them about as a lot of work coming in), and our stuff is now on a ship on the way to the sunny country!! Not long now!!:jiggy:

Guest sithewindows

Had same thing with house insurance, run out a week ago and should exchange this Friday. Car tax last week and leaving it here. But when you look at what we are doing, these are all small things and not worth worrying about. Sold the house without putting on market which was great.

Container went Monday and Jo sorted house today. We must be hoarders as we sold loads on eBay had a 20ft container and I struggled to get the doors closed, got a skip on the drive and I still have a van full!

So, I've begun packing our lives into boxes.

Its actually the easiest move in a long time as we are donating so much to the charity shops and selling off a fair bit of furniture before we move. Should be about on target to fill a large move cube.

We had about 10 boxes of books worth a few months back, now down to about 4-5 I reckon. Same with DVD's and CD's. Down to one box each. Sorted through all our clothes and hubby and I made a big pile that either didn't fit anymore or we no longer wore or wanted and ended up with 2 black bags worth for the charity shops. He is parting with his cricket bag and gear. Am slowly sorting through my son's toys and taking the odd thing out so it isn't overly noticeable to him some of his stuff is going. He doesn't mind as its his toddler stuff mostly (and he is 5 now) but I don't want to make him feel sad or upset about it or take away a huge chunk in one go. Once he goes back to school after the summer hols then I'll be a bit more ruthless but for now, a bit at a time so I can see my way.

Also made some calls to companies like house insurance as the policy is up for renewal this month. Alas cannot just opt to have cover for a few months, have to take out an entire year policy and they then charge a flat fee cancellation of £37. Seems a few of them do this so am now budgeting for the charges to come.

What else.... o finishing off our garden. We laid a lawn last year (it had been stones) and have one small section to finish off. Should be done this weekend. Makes the garden look so much better and our son has loved having grass to run around on.

Started celebrating before panic sets in tomorrow....

on chasing visa found that it had been granted in May but 'lost' in agent's email....but with a desired departure date mid Oct I keep saying to myself 'don't get mad, get packing!!'

Sounds like you'll be arriving around the same time as us. We arrive in Adelaide on Oct 11th :) When are you planning on flying out?

Sounds like you'll be arriving around the same time as us. We arrive in Adelaide on Oct 11th :) When are you planning on flying out?

Just looking at flights now, i think around 15th October. Who did you book with and what price did you get? Looking at Emirates around £800 each. Just spoke with Qantas about migrant fare, can only be used for my partner and at £1300 can't see much point in paying that much extra cash for 10kgs of luggage

Just looking at flights now, i think around 15th October. Who did you book with and what price did you get? Looking at Emirates around £800 each. Just spoke with Qantas about migrant fare, can only be used for my partner and at £1300 can't see much point in paying that much extra cash for 10kgs of luggage

Singapore came in cheaper by about £400 all up for us over Emirates. Shipping an extra bag via excess baggage shipping company (up to 30kg) still saved for us a good couple of hundred on Emirates, so we get the extra 30kg that way for the 3 of us. Less to lug to airport and so on too.

Rather fly through Singapore any day and have the longer leg of the journey first.

I'd highly recommend Singapore airlines. We had no issues at all with the extra baggage allowance, just showed the email and visa at the check-in desk.

Also the flight was great, plenty to eat and drink and the food was very nice.

Been here 2 days now and we love it!

I'd highly recommend Singapore airlines. We had no issues at all with the extra baggage allowance, just showed the email and visa at the check-in desk.

Also the flight was great, plenty to eat and drink and the food was very nice.

Been here 2 days now and we love it!

Hi, good to hear you love it already, it will only get better as you get out of winter

I'm curious to know what additional baggage allowance you got with Singapore Airlines. was it only for the person with the visa? In our case me and our daughter have an Aussie passport so my OH is the only one with a visa

Henley Girl - the migrant baggage doesn't apply to a partner visa generally (I've heard of one instance someone got given an extra 10kg for it). Defo not for Aus citizens.

However, do your sums and see if using an excess bag shipping company works out number wise for you. We got the extra weight in a bag and still came in quids cheaper than if we'd flown Emirates and had the extra 30kg between us.

I sent Singapore Airlines a copy of the visa and they have confirmed that it is OK and he will get 40kgs but i will only get standard 20kgs, good tip on excess baggage i think i will use that for some of the baby's toys etc that will be useless to her by the time they are shipped. Ended up paying £1440 for 2 adults and an infant, £200 cheaper than Emirates. Feels good to tick something else off the list :)

Henley Girl - the migrant baggage doesn't apply to a partner visa generally (I've heard of one instance someone got given an extra 10kg for it). Defo not for Aus citizens.

However, do your sums and see if using an excess bag shipping company works out number wise for you. We got the extra weight in a bag and still came in quids cheaper than if we'd flown Emirates and had the extra 30kg between us.

Guest malurus3

You will love Singapore, SIA stop over holidays usually give you coupons to use at the tourist spots. Try and go to the Zoo and have breakfast with the Orangutans it's great. Use the SIA hop on hop off bus around the city, it's free you just show your boarding pass. We always break the journey here it gets the body clock ready for Australian time as it is only 1½ hours time difference to Adelaide.

I sent Singapore Airlines a copy of the visa and they have confirmed that it is OK and he will get 40kgs but i will only get standard 20kgs, good tip on excess baggage i think i will use that for some of the baby's toys etc that will be useless to her by the time they are shipped. Ended up paying £1440 for 2 adults and an infant, £200 cheaper than Emirates. Feels good to tick something else off the list :)

Great to hear.

I shall send a copy of mine to them then and see if I can get an extra 20kg. Its a PR one so here is hoping.

Singapore does seem to come in cheaper than Emirates quite often. Glad it worked out for you. Few days in Singapore sounds good.

Guest kate11

Im getting myself organised for my final year of nursing, once im qualified we and hubby will start the process while i get a bit of post grad experience. Seems far away but soon comes around!