What have you done today to get yourself to Aus?

snifter

Emailed Singapore Airlines and got an extra 20kg based on my perm visa. Just for me as its a partner visa but it all helps. May well not fly an extra bag out now but will see.

I reckon if I was on a temp partner visa I'd not have gotten it as they don't count temp visas as migrating.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the all important booking the leaving BBQ bash for the end of September :cute: We were not going to worry as tbh neither hubby or I are fussed about such things but some of our friends were asking when we were having our leaving do and then son wanted to invite some friends so I found a fab pub venue where we can hire the BBQ for the afternoon and evening, have a load of undercover seating and a large garden for the kids to run round in, so we are going to have a BBQ whatever the weather. Seemed the easiest option rather than a hiring a hall or something or having a night time bash.

Been packing a bit more and also taken heaps to the charity shops and sold a load of outgrown kids clothes.

Edited by snifter
typo

OK, this packing lark is a breeze :cool:

Its been pretty good so far in that we've not actually packed much. Mainly as we've sorted through heaps as we've packed and simply said, bin, op shop or sell. Most has been op shop and sell and some binned. And then whatever has been left we've packed.

Son't toys are currently being culled. His second day back at school and I am busy sorting through what to take to the charity shops, what to bin and what to take. Its good as most of the baby/toddler toys can be passed on here, the stuff for him now he is older is all for keeping and the bigger stuff he is fine with it being sold. His slide in the garden goes the end of the week. He's taller than it now so think we are safe to say its outgrown. He only uses it for leaning over the fence to talk to the neighbours kids :cute:

Its been hard deciding what of my personal effects to leave and take. A lot of my books have gone. Those sorts of things I know I can buy again or borrow so its not so bad really. Keeping all the important to me stuff though. Only taking up a box.

You inspired me, so I've just emailed Singapore airlines to request extra baggage with a scan of my visa approval. Fingers crossed!

My biggest stress right now is finding somewhere to live between our house sale here (4th Oct) and our move to Adelaide in January. Also looking for a job out there, but most people are saying it's a bit too early.

OK, this packing lark is a breeze :cool:

Its been pretty good so far in that we've not actually packed much. Mainly as we've sorted through heaps as we've packed and simply said, bin, op shop or sell. Most has been op shop and sell and some binned. And then whatever has been left we've packed.

Son't toys are currently being culled. His second day back at school and I am busy sorting through what to take to the charity shops, what to bin and what to take. Its good as most of the baby/toddler toys can be passed on here, the stuff for him now he is older is all for keeping and the bigger stuff he is fine with it being sold. His slide in the garden goes the end of the week. He's taller than it now so think we are safe to say its outgrown. He only uses it for leaning over the fence to talk to the neighbours kids :cute:

Its been hard deciding what of my personal effects to leave and take. A lot of my books have gone. Those sorts of things I know I can buy again or borrow so its not so bad really. Keeping all the important to me stuff though. Only taking up a box.

It's funny, I packed loads of the kids toys that I needn't have - they were barely interested in them later. I think I was more sentimental about old toys than them. I've since had conversations with them about toys or things from their younger years that I thought would be very significant that they don't even remember! We've since been trying to get rid of stuff in garage sales with little success. Kids are always more interested in the next new toy anyway. However, mine have never forgiven us for not bringing the trampoline with us!

Is it just you or family on the visa? If all of you on PR unvalidated in theory you all should qualify. Good luck with it.

Any chance of a winter let? You know, rented out summer season, short let for winter months?

We are on on a PR visa, but we did validate it last year - although it is unstamped, as it's all electronic - I just sent them our visa grant notice, will we still be able to get extra?

You inspired me, so I've just emailed Singapore airlines to request extra baggage with a scan of my visa approval. Fingers crossed!

My biggest stress right now is finding somewhere to live between our house sale here (4th Oct) and our move to Adelaide in January. Also looking for a job out there, but most people are saying it's a bit too early.

As snifter says, try a holiday let, thats what we did, happend to be an 400yr old cottage in the wiltshire countryside, explained things to the owner and got a great rate as it was not usually open due to high costs of winter heating.

Good luck and safe travels.

We are on on a PR visa, but we did validate it last year - although it is unstamped, as it's all electronic - I just sent them our visa grant notice, will we still be able to get extra?

Thanks! How long did it take them to confirm? I emailed them at lunchtime today and haven't got anything back yet - I'm so impatient!

As snifter says, try a holiday let, thats what we did, happend to be an 400yr old cottage in the wiltshire countryside, explained things to the owner and got a great rate as it was not usually open due to high costs of winter heating.

Good luck and safe travels.

Thanks, I think we are sorted! Our friend has a house which we can rent for a reasonable price, so things looking good on that front.

Now, just need to line up the job!

Thanks! How long did it take them to confirm? I emailed them at lunchtime today and haven't got anything back yet - I'm so impatient!

Took them a couple of days to get back to me with a yay on the extra baggage.

If you've already validated they may not give it. Even though you have no stamp, all the visas are electronic and they can see you've validated already.

They've emailed back saying we need to show unvalidated visas to get extra allowance. Is it worth begging and pleading?

I doubt you'll get double for all of you if they are asking for unvalidated. To be fair, that is the main requirement for the migrant baggage.

You can email back and explain you already validated but if they could give a bit extra still it would be fab. You might get an extra few kilos.

HA HA I love that this thread is still going everybody is literally in the same boat, it really helps when others know exactly how you feel. ( i love this forum always been a god send ) well done snifter......

How long till you make the move?

And yeah, surprised myself but its nice to have a place to post the random day to day stuff about migrating. Chit chat and see how others are going also.

I'm more or less packed apart from the stuff we are still using and some of the kids toys and bits. Although I want to get a few more boxes done if I can. Then start selling or donating the furniture next week.

Im well jealous ( in a nice way) The fee increases keep setting us back, I still havent sent the ANMAC skills assessment off even though it is now a year or so since I was on here worrying about the IELTS. The skills assessments are also apparently taking up to 16 weeks but still it gives me more chance to save, I think I will wait for that to come back before putting in my EOi as I now know we want to go back to Adelaide i should maybe apply for the state sponsorship instead of the 189 but either is fine. I am also topping my nursing dip up to degree this year just incase i do get a knock back it will give me enough points for the next couple of years. Once the Eoi comes back i think i will start to get excited. its funny but sometimes the excitment tails off then right on queue wanted down under appears on tv and spurs me on again lol. ITs really exciting and yet frightening when your starting to pack it suddently hits you that this is really happening , Where is Adelaide are you hoping to settle.

Guest Rachael M Bowen

I've just copied and pasted all the info from this thread regarding baggage allowance in to a word document for future reference(hope nobody minds). We hope to go this time next year and I'll never find this again!!!! So I ditto soccer65 by saying thanks, well done and safe journey to all those going out soon x.

This is what I have done today to get me closer to Adelaide. :jiggy:

soccer65 - sounds like it could be a while longer for you. I'm sure you'll get there in the not too distant future. Sounds like you are determind.

We'll be in Glenelg for a while. Would like to buy there but probably out of our budget. Who knows though. We plan to take our time before we settle on an area though. Long term we'd like to be out of the city and the suburbs so looking out in the hills or a smaller town someplace most likely. Who knows where might take our fancy though.

We've spent the last week in Melbourne with friends and are flying over to Adelaide tomorrow (Saturday). Quite exciting and I guess the last time for me to post in this thread since we don't need to do anything to get to Aus... now we need to see what to do to stay in Aus.

Looking forward to meeting the city of Adelaide for the first time... now we just need to find a long term rental, school for the kids, a job - you know, the little things... :smile:

Geoff.

We've spent the last week in Melbourne with friends and are flying over to Adelaide tomorrow (Saturday). Quite exciting and I guess the last time for me to post in this thread since we don't need to do anything to get to Aus... now we need to see what to do to stay in Aus.

Looking forward to meeting the city of Adelaide for the first time... now we just need to find a long term rental, school for the kids, a job - you know, the little things... :smile:

Geoff.

Exciting times :) Looking forward to reading how you get on once you arrive in Adelaide.

We've already earmarked and filled in an application form for the school we liked the look of. Although not officially enrolled (we'll do that once we arrive next month) they are expecting to see him when the new term starts on Oct 14th. I've heard good things about the school, people I know have taught there and really rate it, so we are happy with that to get us started. We may move for the new school year if the school isn't what we are wanting for our son but all being well we'll be staying put.