What have you done today to get yourself to Aus?

snifter

Currently packing for the movecube which arrives next friday! Tonight's jobs are to clean the shoes, tools and bikes. Also sold both our cars at the weekend and arranged with the buyers that they will be able to take them just before we fly which is helpful.

Sounds good re the Movecube. We are planning on using one too. We (well hubby to be exact) sat down last night and worked out the cube to scale with various sizes of packing boxes and the measurements of the furniture we are taking. All up we should fit in everything we want to take and have a bit of room left over. Got to order some packing boxes now for the next stage. And wow they are pricey :huh: Double walled for strength and all that but still.

Also hoping to sell our car a bit in advance and keep it till closer to our move but won't really advertise it till mid Sept when it has a new MOT.

Can you keep us posted how your MoveCube goes as am always keen to here from others using them. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Popestar

Well today I have dettoled all the camping equipment, collected duvets and pillows from the dry cleaners, booked the professional clean for the house after we leave before the tenants arrive, filled a few charity bags of clothes and finally filled in all the forms for marine shipping insurance.

Another massive to do list for tomorrow!

30 days and counting.......

Can you keep us posted how your MoveCube goes as am always keen to here from others using them. Thanks in advance.

Will do. We have gone for a medium cube as we don't have that much to take. I'll try and remember to takes some pictures of what will fit in it!

Well today I have dettoled all the camping equipment, collected duvets and pillows from the dry cleaners, booked the professional clean for the house after we leave before the tenants arrive, filled a few charity bags of clothes and finally filled in all the forms for marine shipping insurance.

Another massive to do list for tomorrow!

30 days and counting.......

We had some shipping guys out who said to use Dettol or some such not Jeyes for stuff. That its anti bac does the trick on shoes, bikes and stuff. So I'll be using that too. We are not taking any garden stuff so Jeyes can be left well alone (hate the stuff and wasn't looking forward to having to use it :nah: ).

And wooo, 30 days left. You really are on countdown :jiggy:

Good to hear from others on this thread. I know we have a fair few people in the process of migrating lurking so if you want to join us, jump in :biggrin:

I took a heap of stuff to the charity shop yesterday. Didn't realise we had so much stuff (read crap :tongue: ). Kids puzzles that are outgrown, some more books, knick knacks and all my wheat heat bags (can't ship as grain inside).

Today I am sorting out excess baggage with Singapore airlines (we don't get the migrant visa allowance but have found out you can get a good deal on an extra bag if you manage your booking online ahead of time). Its arriving at the airport and doing it there that costs more apparently, so am giving this a go.

My list of things to do seems to just keep growing, even though I keep checking bits off of it :goofy::cute:

I am in two minds if I'd be better off with a spread sheet so I can work across it as the days tick by.

We've just gone for an A4 list stuck on the fridge, gradually ticking things off. It does seem that it's taking a while to clear things off of it though!

Well last night was spent cleaning bikes and tools ready for shipping, just shoes to go now. Today also brought good news, finally exchanged contracts on the house! :jiggy:

Fab news on the house. That is really the last big worry hurdle to get past, the old signing on the dotted line and exchanging.

I might go for a list on the fridge. I tend to be crap at keeping them and just keep writing on the back of an envelope or a post it and then losing it. I redo them, then redo them and add a bit more.

Guest sithewindows

My fridge is only 6ft tall though!

We've just gone for an A4 list stuck on the fridge, gradually ticking things off. It does seem that it's taking a while to clear things off of it though!

Guest sithewindows

Today we have booked our short term in Port Noarlunga for Aug - Sept, also finishing bits of in the house as first viewing tomorrow and not on the market yet.

Another dump run completed. Just about finished our trial move cube pack which is marked out in the dining room, just the kitchen bit to pack up now.. Surprising how small it looks when you actually have to squeeze things in.

Move cube comes on friday, we move out on saturday and house completes on monday so a busy weekend ahead.

One thing was a bit of an anti climax, the move cube guy came last friday to do the site check and deliver the 'Starter pack' which turns out to be exactly what they say you get yet somehow looks less than you expect!

An oversized box containing a marker pen, knife, tape measure, parcel tape and tape gun. Why was I expecting something dramatic??

:jiggy:

Move cube arrived this morning, almost forgot to get an empty picture before we started!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373632573.062235.jpg

We went for a medium cube and I was surprised how big it actually was. After packing everything we had planned to take we were hunting around for things to put in it just to fill it up!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373632664.532734.jpg

One thing that we weren't provided before hand was all the customs paperwork which we (wrongly) assumed the driver would be bringing with him so it would be worth chasing your agent before your delivery date to make sure you have this. That way you won't be rushing off to the library to print it out, all 25 pages of it!

2 things you'll need with the paperwork is a copy of your passport bio page and a copy of your visa grant. (So back to the library again to photocopy the passport!!!)

So that's another step closer to arriving in adelaide, back on with getting things sorted to move out of the house tomorrow, only 3 weeks left now!

Fab pics. Great to see how it packs. I reckon we are going with the large one. We measured it out and I think we'll just come in under packing wise. Hubby has drawn a too scale with the furniture we plan to ship plus we worked out boxes in specific sizes and allowed for an extra few on top to be safe.

I know about the paperwork and will ensure I print off two sets just in case and hubby is an Aussie so we are doing it all in his name for shipping.

How long did they give you to pack it? My one worry is if we can't get it all in in time :wideeyed: I'm sure it will be ok but does it give me something to worry about :cute:

We have booked th container and arranged for the letting agent to visit and take some pictures so we can get our uk house on the rental market. I have emailed a few estate agents in Adelaide to see what houses they have available in September when we fly to Adelaide

Today I've finally bitten the bullet and made our money transfer. Although I've used Moneycorp which should be a trusted and secure transaction I still can't help being very nervous.

I'm sure it'll be fine (I keep telling myself!) but it's going to be a long few days... :unsure:

We have booked th container and arranged for the letting agent to visit and take some pictures so we can get our uk house on the rental market. I have emailed a few estate agents in Adelaide to see what houses they have available in September when we fly to Adelaide

I don't know you'll have much luck hearing anything from letting agents till you are actually in Adelaide. They tend to only really deal with people once there. I'd suggest to do as much homework as you can before you arrive so you can hit the ground running so to speak and get busy house hunting then. If you've already got a good idea of areas you like the look of, have it planned to reccie them and see if anywhere else catches your eye.

Our packing boxes arrived yesterday! Wow are they ever heavy :unsure:

Anyways, although we are not moving till Oct our stuff is going a bit before and we are getting on with packing up stuff we are not using or don't need before we move. I'd rather box up the books, CD's and so on and have it done rather than trying to do it in the week or two before we ship. Also winter clothes and bedding will be packed. We are hoping September isn't too chilly and we can make do with a few pairs of jeans and sweaters and our summer stuff. That way we'll be sorted for luggage.

O and booked our transport to the airport. Going on the coach as its actually the easiest option. 3 of us for £40 one way. Train involves 2 or 3 changes (not good with lots of luggage), is very pricey already and don't want to drive as would be a hire car so checked out the coach and wow, it was cheap and there in 2 hours or so. Friend hopefully is giving us a lift in to the coach station which will help.

Sounds good re the Movecube. We are planning on using one too. We (well hubby to be exact) sat down last night and worked out the cube to scale with various sizes of packing boxes and the measurements of the furniture we are taking. All up we should fit in everything we want to take and have a bit of room left over. Got to order some packing boxes now for the next stage. And wow they are pricey :huh: Double walled for strength and all that but still.

Also hoping to sell our car a bit in advance and keep it till closer to our move but won't really advertise it till mid Sept when it has a new MOT.

Hi would you please tell me more about the move cube?