Port Noarlunga area

Guest taffs

That could be why then, although we have had an offer accepted on a house in Willunga today, might still see you around though as I seem to visit Coles in McLaren Vale at least once a day.

Good on ya! Willunga is lovely also....was just a tiny bit too far out for us though as I work in the city and I am relying on those pesky trains to get me in each day.

McLaren vale and Willunga are wonderful places. I wish that I could sell up and retire there! My son's girlfriend lives on a 10 acre farm in McLaren Vale and it's a 10 minute trip (the shortcut) along River Road from where I live in Port Noarlunga. The grandkids ride quad bikes and Dutchess the Boxer chases roos on the farm...stunning place where we live that's for sure.

The work on the expressway and the electrification of the train line...both happening at the same time!!! Another few months (hopefully) and things should be better than before!!!

Tamara

Hi we are just waiting for our 189 visa to come through in next couple of weeks. We are planning to come out end of July as husband a teacher and want our 5 year old to complete year at school. We are looking at port noarlunga, we have visited 2 years ago as inlaws live in west beach. Never been to noarlunga but really like the houses and reviews on beaches. Our main concern is schools what are the primary schools and nursery schools like around here? And also my daughter is in year 1 so concerned she will have to go back a stage when starts school in oz (from what people have said) so want to make sure we get her settled straight away. Any opinions or advice please. We are all getting so excited now and have 7 months to wait

thanks

Hi we are just waiting for our 189 visa to come through in next couple of weeks. We are planning to come out end of July as husband a teacher and want our 5 year old to complete year at school. We are looking at port noarlunga, we have visited 2 years ago as inlaws live in west beach. Never been to noarlunga but really like the houses and reviews on beaches. Our main concern is schools what are the primary schools and nursery schools like around here? And also my daughter is in year 1 so concerned she will have to go back a stage when starts school in oz (from what people have said) so want to make sure we get her settled straight away. Any opinions or advice please. We are all getting so excited now and have 7 months to wait

thanks

Port Noarlungaprimary is a very popular school. They have a really good head there at the moment which makes a hell of a difference. I live closer to Christies Beach primary but choose Port Noarlunga anyday. There is another primary school that's good and thats the one in O Sullivans. It's a catholic school and is called St Johns.

the really good thing about the schools around here is that they benefited from the last governments nation building economic stimulus plan. If you look at Christies primary, Port Noarlunga and St Johns then the facilities are all being replaced and rebuilt. Brand spanking new buildings and facilities to deal with the expansion of the local area and also for the new arrivals that continue to settle in these areas.

Port Noarlunga primary has a kindy called freda Korp and it is so so good. Again, they have the right people and the place is getting real good feedback from the parents that send their kids there.

I dont think that you will go wrong by settling around this area and there are many new arrivals who have been lucky to have found a place like this. We love it.

Hi all, as stated in my previous post, flights are now booked and we are landing on the 2nd January 2014. After quite a bit of research i think we have decided on living in Port Noarlunga, would anyone be kind enough to give us any advice on the area good or bad ?, All advice will be much appreciated. Please take into account when giving the advice we have two boys, one 6 the other 4.

Many thanks

Jason

Blinkin lovely place!!! We would be happy to live there, quiet, safe, lovely. Stayed at Christies Beach in Tamara and Shauns place when we had a reccie, I'd say all the near surrounding areas are good and can honestly say we had the best time there xxx all the very best x

Edited by jodipodi

• 2 months later...

There's a news article released today about where to invest in property. It covers the whole country.

Port Noarlunga and Christies Beach are two of the Adelaide suburbs highlighted for good investment returns.

The link is: http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/where-you-should-and-shouldnt-invest-in-property/story-fncq3era-1226848121146

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I found this thread whilst researching property prices for coastal suburbs south of Adelaide....

Initially thinking that the Brighton/Hove area might be the place for us - I notice that you seem to get more for your money in Port Noarlunga (comparing similar properties on Realestate.com.au) $450.000 doesn't seem to buy much at all in Brighton/Hove??

The real bonus though, is that Port Noarlunga looks like a nicer place to live (we have two young children) than Brighton/Hove.

And i don't mind a 30min commute - if i find work in the city.

A 30 minute commute from Port Noarlunga is possible, but unlikely during normal commute hours. Depending on whether you would drive in or use public transport, the reality is probably closer to an hour, though things are improving with the southern expressway and express trains supposedly coming back on in April. I am travelling from a bit further away again so will stand to be corrected by anyone doing that commute on a regular basis.

Brighton is a lovely suburb in my opinion, but you pay for it, great access to the city and lovely beach, cafes, etc. There is no doubt you get more for your money further South though and you still retain good access to great beaches.

Yes I was going to make a similar comment to this, positions would most likely be in the central city or even the other side so 30 minutes is quite optimistic, Brighton is expensive yes because of its proximity to the city so you are gonna pay for it but its a lovely suburb but then there are lots of lovely suburbs not far from the city that hold a cheaper price tag depending on what you buy, the area you live really depends on your lifestyle and needs for your family.

A 30 minute commute from Port Noarlunga is possible, but unlikely during normal commute hours. Depending on whether you would drive in or use public transport, the reality is probably closer to an hour, though things are improving with the southern expressway and express trains supposedly coming back on in April. I am travelling from a bit further away again so will stand to be corrected by anyone doing that commute on a regular basis.

Brighton is a lovely suburb in my opinion, but you pay for it, great access to the city and lovely beach, cafes, etc. There is no doubt you get more for your money further South though and you still retain good access to great beaches.

Thanks for the comments and the feedback.... I think i'd still be prepared to take 'one for the team' and do a longer commute (by considering Port Noarlunga)....

Here in the UK we live just one road back from the beach (funnily enough - just along the coast from Brighton & Hove) and can see the sea from some rooms in the house.

I would still really like to live close enough to a beach that i can walk there within 5 mins. And i just don't think we can afford that in Brighton and Hove.

Brighton and Hove are popular suburbs. Much busier than Port Noarlunga and property prices do reflect the demand. There are still some properties needing renovations down there and these should be a bit cheaper.

The great commuting debate!

We should have the express trains back within two weeks.

The old express trains from Noarlunga to the city took 28 to 29 minutes. The new electric trains are reported to be much faster (speeds of up to 110 km) although I don't know whether they will achieve anything near this speed. They are also much quicker than the diesels when they pull away from the stations although this won't affect the express trains as there's only one stop between Noarlunga and the city.

If I walk from my house in Port Noarlunga to Noarlunga station it takes 10 minutes. If I drive and park in the free park and go car park it takes less than 2 minutes.

I'm going to take the kids to Adelaide zoo and intend to take the train...will let you know how long that takes.

I am also going to take the express into the city and see how long that takes.

Will let you know!

Express (or more correctly, limited stopper) trains are supposed to be coming back in April - once the Tonsley line re-opens. Many southern commuters are waiting for this with baited breath.....including me. It will take many months until the entire fleet of diesel trains have been replaced by electric trains so realistically we are about a year from what will be the final upgraded service, timetables, etc. I think the commute will get easier, much easier but at the moment it's a pain in the butt, especially if you are using it every day. A few days ago the new electric trains weren't running as the sub station was shorted out by............smoke particles from the diesel trains building up on the overhead lines.....opps!

Just something to consider, depending on your job/line of work where you live in relation to the position you are applying for can have a consideration on your suitability. This will not be the case with all jobs (and again as with everything one size does not fit all), but I have heard many times (and know from my experience of working in HR/recruiting roles in Adelaide) this can be used to exclude your application, what you might consider a perfectly acceptable commute an Australian employer may not!

When we look back,at our reccie we actually wish we had used public transport for some of the days we went out and about. The hire care was a godsend for going places out of the way...but because we didn't attempt the train we came back thinking that Christies was just a little too far from the CBD for us.....then after a wake up realisation of a month or so back in the Uk we woke up and reminded ourselves that we are nowhere near the CBD in the UK...we have to walk to the metro station, jump on the metro which takes 25 mins or so to the main shopping centre.... And the main overall eureka moment for us was realising that there's NO WAY EVER we would actually want to live in the surroundings of our UK CBD....we love the beach, we love the peace, the quiet, the fact we say hi to people who have time to, who aren't always rushing around.

I think if we had utilised the transport in Adelaide we would have had a much wider view of the actual commute to the CBD. It took a while in the car which I didnt like...but it would also take longer in the car where we live in the Uk...that's why most get the metro here.

We had more than enough for our everyday living in Noarlunga and thats all anybody with kids needs...beach-free, parks-free, outdoor Bbqs-use is free, promenade - free, shopping centre within walking distance, butcher, fishmonger, fruit and veg shop...all in walking distance.

We weighed up heading for Perth after we came back to UK as I had doubts whether Adelaide was just a bit too slow paced, maybe a bit behind the times....but it's everything I wanted in reality..a safe, beautiful place to bring my kids up and a no rush environment.... after watching episodes of WDU on returning and seeing Adelaide we actually felt a little bit homesick....yep. It was like we missed being there...even the kids do. It really is a great place to be.

Edited by jodipodi

I'm going to take the kids to Adelaide zoo and intend to take the train...will let you know how long that takes.

I am also going to take the express into the city and see how long that takes.

Will let you know!

It's fair trek from the station to the zoo (apologies if you already know what it's like). Depending on the age of the kids I'd consider taking a taxi or bus down North Terrace, or build in a stop on the way to break it up. Could just be my lazy kids that colours my view though.

I do think that once the transport links to the southern suburbs are sorted out the area will become far more desirable generally. Now would be a good time to buy before the realisation dawns on more Adelaide residents that you can get more for your money there and the commute isn't too bad on the train.

This has been mentioned in another thread but not too sure how many will have seen it:

Colonnades at Noarlunga to host Jamie Oliver Ministry of Food pop-up kitchen

• Share on facebook

112236-b26a92f2-ad7f-11e3-bf6a-6ec13e402258.jpg

Jamie Oliver has announced the first Ministry of Food pop-up kitchen will be at Colonnades Shopping Centre. Photo: David Loftus Source: Supplied

CELEBRITY chef Jamie Oliver will bring the first Ministry of Food pop-up kitchen to Adelaide later this year, in a huge coup for the Colonnades Shopping Centre.

At a live cooking show in Sydney yesterday, Oliver announced that a bid by the Onkaparinga Council and the shopping centre had been selected as the winner from 170 applications.

“It’s amazing that so many Australian communities applied for the pop-up kitchen and I wish we could be in every community,” Oliver said.

“However, I know we’re going to have some fun teaching City of Onkaparinga residents how to cook nutritious meals from scratch.

“I passionately hope that this fantastic challenge leads to more than one Ministry of Food Centre as it’s clear that Australians want to learn to cook.”

The shopping centre will host the kitchen, which is sponsored by Huon Aquaculture, for 12 months. It will include hands-on cooking classes based on Mr Oliver’s belief about cooking healthy meals from scratch.

Colonnades marketing manager Kate Stevenson said she was thrilled to hear their bid was successful.

“There is a community need for these kitchens to change people’s day-to-day eating habits,” she said.

“We are not sure on timelines yet ... we want to ensure we do this right, we don’t want it to last just for the 12 months we have got it for. We really want this to be something that has some longevity.”

Onkaparinga mayor Lorraine Rosenberg said the kitchen would benefit both the niche food market as well as the local wine industry.

“We felt that if he was looking for a place that could justifiably say we were linked in heavily to schools, our local community, all of the service groups, foodies groups and our food and wine group, we were going to win it hands-down — we felt that we could do that really well,” she said.

“It means we can expand on the great work that we have been doing with our schools about healthy eating, our active lifestyle work we have been doing, and it just means a really big boost for our region internationally.”

Huon Aquaculture director and co-founder Frances Bender said she is thrilled to bring the pop-up kitchen to Colonnades.

“We’ve seen first-hand the amazing work Jamie’s Ministry of Food Australia is doing around the country and to be able to help bring the program to South Australia is a point of pride for our family owned company and all of our employees,” she said.

Colonnades Shopping Centre reportedly put forward “a compelling case”, offering a rent-free space and citing the city’s high proportion of disadvantage as reason for its suitability.

Ministry of Food Australia CEO Alicia Peardon said the competition had drawn an amazing response.

“We received 170 applications from all over Australia, more than 1100 letters of support, 15,000

signatures on petitions, 30,000 likes on Facebook and a groundswell of media support,” she said.

“It’s abundantly evident there is a huge desire from people all over the country to do something

about the obesity crisis and the lack of food knowledge of healthy food choices and home cooking in Australia.”

The Ministry of Food program has already proved successful in Australia with booked-out classes at the fixed centres in Ipswich and Geelong and the Mobile Kitchens in Queensland and Victoria.