Pronunciation.....

Guest Claire-n-tel

Pronunciation .. vote now  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Pronunciation .. vote now

• "scone" as in stone
    • "scone" as in gone

I'm a northerner as well and I say scone (stone). My dad is from Birmingham and my mum from the Yorkshire/Lancashire border so that might have had an influence. Next time I talk to them I'll have to get them to say scone and see how they pronounce it.

Your mum will be a scone (gone) girl so maybe it comes from your father

I went to the fringe the other night and had the veggie satay burger. I had to ask for it 3 times and the guy said 'oh, you mean the sar-tay burger...' :biggrin:

I also love love how my kids have started to drop their T's when saying things like water - 'warder' and better '- bedder' :tongue:

Another one is Mustard try going through a mcdonalds drive through and asking for a must (urd) dip, they say mast (urd)

I come from Devon and I say scone (gone) - and to be honest I'm not bothered which way up the cream goes as long as I can eat it!

We stopped at a tea room the other day run by a lady from Swizterland and she was telling us that when she started she though that a Devonshire Tea was an actual tea and spent ages looking in the tea aisles wondering where she could find it! She was also fairly intimidated when we told her we were from Devon, poor lady!

I'm not too fussy about my children switching to Aussie pronunciation for most things but I won't have them putting an r in pasty and I'm fighting a losing battle against WeetaBix.

I come from Devon and I say scone (gone) - and to be honest I'm not bothered which way up the cream goes as long as I can eat it!

We stopped at a tea room the other day run by a lady from Swizterland and she was telling us that when she started she though that a Devonshire Tea was an actual tea and spent ages looking in the tea aisles wondering where she could find it! She was also fairly intimidated when we told her we were from Devon, poor lady!

I'm not too fussy about my children switching to Aussie pronunciation for most things but I won't have them putting an r in pasty and I'm fighting a losing battle against WeetaBix.

No r in a pasty, and definitely no carrots, peas or corn either!

Guest Guest75
Another one is Mustard try going through a mcdonalds drive through and asking for a must (urd) dip, they say mast (urd)

Bit like me when I say the naughty word that means your parents are not married - it finishes ad' and not ard' in my accent.

I also love love how my kids have started to drop their T's when saying things like water - 'warder' and better '- bedder' :tongue:

I hang my head in shame and must admit. I've switched my T's for D's in many words. There. My dirty little secret is out. I horrify myself every time I call my cats 'kiddies'. I can't have another baby or my house will be chaos not knowing if we are talking about cats or children!

I blame my partner fully. He is Aussie. Say no more.

Tel is right - it's scone as in gone. I was also going to mention Scottish village of Scone (as in Skoon) but I see I've been beaten to it. Has anyone had any problems asking for batteries in a shop? The shop assistant couldn't understand my scottish version of batteries (not that I'm that broad). She thought I was asking for 'butteries' (Aberdonian rolls!). When she pronounced it it sounded to me like 'betteries'! I love the differences in words we use and pronunciation - very curious.

! I love the differences in words we use and pronunciation - very curious.

I know some pronunciation or words are different state to state (or territory lol!), but I find many of our South Australian ones quite logical.

For example :

pasty sounds like nasty

pasta sounds like fast -a

yoghurt like yo-gurt

dance as in ro-mance

but I agree that 'marone' is just mad lol!

I work with kids, so initially I made an effort to use words they would understand; if I'd asked a kid if they wanted a passtee, they would probably be a bit confused!

:smile:LC