887 Visa - What's the update?

sunnyside

2 hours ago, Samirk said:

Hi all,

Just wondering , Can I go overseas while I am still waiting decision on my 887 visa?

Thanks

Hi Samirk,

Yes, you can. From what other users were saying, before you fly overseas, advise immigration regarding dates and purpose of your trip. Also check if your 489 is valid for the duration of the trip (including your return date). If not, get a bridging visa B.

Remember also that you have to be back on-shore to be granted 887. :) 

2 minutes ago, Manny (Applied 14 Dec 17) said:

Deal All members,

After applying for 887 Visa from 489, we receive Bridging Visa A (Subclass WA) 010.

Are we eligible to apply for Medicare card?

Thanks for you replies..

Yes you can apply for medicare but it will be valid for one year

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Manny (Applied 14 Dec 17) said:

Oh ok.. Means then again after getting PR, we need to apply Medicare..!

Hopefully We all Should get PR within one year.. :-)

you can apply Medicare card after you have lodged 887.. They will issue you a temporary Medicare card which lasts for 1 year (from your 887 application date). You should receive it within 2 weeks after you applied for the Medicare.

Once your 887 is approved, you will then receive the 'permanent' Medicare card, you do not need to apply, they will send to you automatically once 887 is approved.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Russki said:

Hi Samirk,

Yes, you can. From what other users were saying, before you fly overseas, advise immigration regarding dates and purpose of your trip. Also check if your 489 is valid for the duration of the trip (including your return date). If not, get a bridging visa B.

how to notify immigration? by phone?

2 hours ago, Russki said:

Hi Samirk,

That means I can not get visa grant offshore?  ??

20 minutes ago, Samirk said:

That means I can not get visa grant offshore?  ??

I am afraid not...  ? I personally think it's best not to travel out while you are waiting,  unless you really have to. 

I heard, if they assess your application while you are overseas you will get a pre-grant. 

Email immigration,  calling them is useless.  :)

Hi Everyone,

I am on 496 visa and applied for 887 but was rejected due to non completion of 730 days in Australia. Now that I have completed the no. of days required in Australia

• Can I re apply for 887 onshore
  • Will my initial refusal have section 48

My 496 visa is valid till Dec-2018.

Regards,

Kani

Hello, not an active member, just wanted to share my 887 timeline for reference:

18 Aug 2017 - Applied (grant ready except that our passport will expire Nov 9  

Yes, you read it right, it is expiring, long story)

13 Nov 2017 - CO emailed us asking for a new passport, I knew it! (and boy! our

new  passport was released on the 14th at our embassy in Sydney so

took a week to mail to us)

21 Nov 2017 - Submitted requested documents (new passport) with the hope

that CO will get back to us before Christmas (but never happened)

05 Feb 2018 - Visa grant, the sweetest feeling!

Good luck to all!

5 minutes ago, jin_re said:

Hello, not an active member, just wanted to share my 887 timeline for reference:

Good luck to all!

CONGRATS!!!! 

Yup, they will never understand our feelings, how patiently we wait for this grant. They don't treat us as what supposed to be.

But we are fighters, we fight with the time and win. :)

Congratulation again!!

47 minutes ago, jin_re said:

Good luck to all!

Case officer name plz??

11 hours ago, kani said:

Hi Everyone,

I am on 496 visa and applied for 887 but was rejected due to non completion of 730 days in Australia. Now that I have completed the no. of days required in Australia

• Can I re apply for 887 onshore
  • Will my initial refusal have section 48

My 496 visa is valid till Dec-2018.

Regards,

Kani

Hey Kani

Didn't you completed 2 years since your day of arrival? I thought we don't have to complete 730 days as short holidays are allowed? 

9 hours ago, jin_re said:

Good luck to all!

Congratulations!!!  Great news! I had same situation with passport,  but managed to get a new one and upload it before anyone even asked for it,  phew!  :)

3 minutes ago, kani said:

Hi Bunny,

The online system does not calculate days:

Grant Date: 03/03/15, Date of Arrival: 13/06/15, 887 application date: 24/6/17.

Oh both of us came to Australia on the same day :jiggy:For me it looks like you have stayed 2 years. I applied on 03rd of October because I was away for 4 months in the first year. So I stayed 4 months to compensate that. 

However, in the 2nd year also I was away for 3 weeks on paid annual leaves but I didn't stay additional 3 weeks. I called immigration before applying and they said short holidays are not considered when counting days. Now I am scared.

10 hours ago, jin_re said:

Good luck to all!

Congratulations........

1 hour ago, Bunny said:

Oh both of us came to Australia on the same day :jiggy:For me it looks like you have stayed 2 years. I applied on 03rd of October because I was away for 4 months in the first year. So I stayed 4 months to compensate that. 

However, in the 2nd year also I was away for 3 weeks on paid annual leaves but I didn't stay additional 3 weeks. I called immigration before applying and they said short holidays are not considered when counting days. Now I am scared.

I had the same issue as well, my first application was rejected as I only stayed for 640 days when I applied. There is no definition for short holiday, each case officer has a different understanding  for short holiday. My recommendation is to compensate the days before applying!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rabea B said:

I had the same issue as well, my first application was rejected as I only stayed for 640 days when I applied. There is no definition for short holiday, each case officer has a different understanding  for short holiday. My recommendation is to compensate the days before applying!

Hi Rabea,

sorry to hear about your first application had been rejected. May I know if you have provided evidence that you have stayed 2 years (730 days) for the 1st application? meaning, did you provide evidence to support your residential of 2 years period? (tenancy agreement, bills..etc)

Yes everything, almost two years of permanent work contract, 2 years tenancy agreement, electricity bills etc. in the first year I traveled for a period of 6 weeks, and the 2nd years I traveled for 6 weeks as well. The officer comments that this does not considers a short holiday. The case officer has access to my travel dates and he listed the dates I was in and out from Australia.