Pregnant and desperate for advice....

Guest Dande

Guest Dande

Hi all

We applied for our visa last month, and this month we've found out we're pregnant :shocked:

Can anyone give me some advice on having a baby over there... What's the ante natal care like, what are the hospitals like, post natal care etc etc etc.

Having a bit of a stress, don't know whether it will make more sense to come before or after the birth (if we get the visa quickly that is)....

We've been trying for years, so we're over the moon, but now - right now - is probably the worst timing!!! It's just confused everything!

Thanks

Dande

Hi all

We applied for our visa last month, and this month we've found out we're pregnant :shocked:

Can anyone give me some advice on having a baby over there... What's the ante natal care like, what are the hospitals like, post natal care etc etc etc.

Having a bit of a stress, don't know whether it will make more sense to come before or after the birth (if we get the visa quickly that is)....

We've been trying for years, so we're over the moon, but now - right now - is probably the worst timing!!! It's just confused everything!

Thanks

Dande

Oh Dande CONGRATULATIONS! Everyone around me is having a baby at the moment and its making me broody. Just dont tell my husband! I dont know from a practical point of view but if you maybe contact one of the medical companies they may be help to help from a cost point of view.

Good luck with your very special surprise

Hi Dande

Congratulations, Please don't worry yourself too much over this I am sure things will work out. I have been doing a lot of looking around on a website called http://www.adelaidebound.com/health.htm it has been really helpful to me but as I have not been yet I don't have any practical experiance.

However I friend flew over pregnant with triplets so it can't be that bad not in touch anymore otherwise I would ask her.

I don't know what visa you have applied for but if you have baby here you will have to get a passport and get everything verfied before you go. I was pregnant when we submitted our but we have now ammended it to include our daughter.

Good luck and I am sure someone will help you out with the practical stuff.

Michelle

Hi Dande,

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I'm in my 5 month so just going through the health care experience here in Aus.

So far, no complaints. I'm having a shared doctor/hospital care and going public. I looked into private and it was an extra $2000 on top of my private health iinsurance :shocked:, I'd rather keep the money for the baby!

Foxychick on PIA has been through the whole experience whilst here. If you go on adbrits, you'll see a fantastic post on what to expect in their reading room.

My advice would be not to let the pregnancy stop you from your plans. I know another girl who was 5 months pregnant when she emigrated and everything was fine.

But you are doing the right thing, looking into it and then weighing up the pros and cons.

Best of luck

Judi x

I had 2 of my 3 children here in Adelaide in the public system and I have no complaints at all. The antenatal care is good. My middle child I had in the UK and began my antenatal care with my first in the UK where I will always remember the joys of Queuing up in a gown to be weighed right in front of the admin desk. Australia is not a 3rd world country, its medical system is as good and safe as you get in the UK. There are also midwife steered clinics within the hospital if that is what you would rather choose. Once your baby has been born there is foolow up available through the CAFHS clinics eg where you take your baby to be weighed etc. If you are coming on PR type visa then if your baby is born here it will be entitled to Aus citizenship and British by descent.

Hi,

My daughter was born here last April and I was very very happy with the care I recieved. She was born in The Women and Childrens hospital under the public system.(could not afford private). If you are on a pr Visa, you will also be entitled to the baby bonus which is a great help in the first few months.

Wendy

Guest Dande

Thank you all !!

We've calmed down a little from our initial panic, thank goodness.

We still go from one extreme to the other - do we go before or after - the answer changes everyday.

We're going to wait for the visa - as obviously we can't make any decisions before it comes through anyway, which will hopefully tie in quite nicely with the 12 week scan.

Ah, decisions, decisions, decisions. No one said it was going to be easy, eh!

Thanks once again, it was quite nice to hear that it's not such a bad place to have a baby!

Dande

The care here is comparable to where I was in the UK. No worries on that score, I would just say if you are coming, try to get in touch with the hospital you will be going to from over there and get yourself booked into the system, especially if you will need to book a scan etc, as things like that are busy - as anywhere.

It may be easier in terms of visas etc if your baby is born here, and flying later is not too much of an issue.

However, something to consider that is not on the practical side of things - how will it affect you emotionally?

If you leave late in your pregnancy and fly, you have all the pregnancy hormones floating around, plus the feelings you may have at moving here anyway, then you will have baby and realise that all your family and friends are not around to see your long awaited baby. It can be hard to deal with. HOWEVER, to complicate it all, I can imagine it may also be hard emotionally to have baby there, then leave shortly afterwards.

Reading that back it sounds terrible, but I am just trying to say, it's not all about the practical and it may affect how you settle, and that I found, when I gave birth, all I wanted to do for about a week was to get on a plane home - just to see everyone, I felt quite alone here, and that we were really missing something, it was the strongest urge I ever had, and did pass quickly, but it was my third baby, so I was busy with everything else too, and had been here 9 months by that point. It wasn't until she was 2 months old that I began to feel settled here either, and I put a lot of that down to the pregancy.

Best of luck and congratulations on your great news.

i have to agree with foxychick, my own personal opinion is i wouldnt have wanted to be settling into a new country and giving birth so close together. If youve only just applied for visa it could take a while yet, you could always validate and come back after the babies born, just add baby to visa, just my own thoughts.:wubclub:

We found out the week before we flew out we were expecting our third. She will be 1 next week. We went to Flinders, and seriously we cant complain about anything, the hospital and staff were fantastic. The only difference(according to my OH anyway) was that all your check up appointments/scans/bloods etc are not booked by the doctor, they tell you where to get them done, but you have to arrange it all yourself, then go back with results to docs etc. But all in all a great experience here, (although we WONT be repeating it!! no matter what she says!!! lol).