What is the Adelaide job market really like?

Loubyhen

Hi Everyone

Sorry if this is going over old ground but I'm hoping for up to date information on the Adelaide job market. I read lots of statistics but hoping to hear from the people who live there!

When I look at how many jobs are actually posted on seek or indeed for example it's less than 5000. Sydney has around 50,000 advertised and Manchester were I live currently has around 40,000. Initially I was positive that I have never had an issue gaining employment before but now I am starting to get concerned and wonder if Adelaide is the right place for me?

If I had my Two and a Bit years back I certainly wouldn't have come to Adelaide. I've recently moved States and kicked myself for not doing so earlier. Your best bet would be to look elsewhere plenty of other places similar but with better employment opportunities

If I had my Two and a Bit years back I certainly wouldn't have come to Adelaide. I've recently moved States and kicked myself for not doing so earlier. Your best bet would be to look elsewhere plenty of other places similar but with better employment opportunities

We know Adelaide wasn't good for you work wise, nor is it for everyone but others do fine here. Everyone is going to be different. I am glad its better for you elsewhere :) Enjoy your new state and job.

There are places across Australia that don't tick the employment box for some migrants. I hear dire things of the Perth job market in recent times, depending on your line of work, very doom and gloom yet people still move there it seems. Other places (bigger cities) it can be a trade off with living much further out of the city or cost of living being higher. All up, hopefully any prospective migrant does their homework and researches their job market and other things in areas that appeal. And are prepared to change where they may move or make a move elsewhere later on if need be.

Obviously depends on field of employment, but I would agree that Adelaide has a relatively conservative job market and there does seem to be a lot of 'who you know' as it is really a big town (especially compared with Manchester). Youth unemployment is high compared with most other states and territories.

Dire. I wish I knew this before we came here or we would have moved to Melbourne, and we are regretting it now. I'm qualified and experienced and it took me 6 months to get a job in my field (Marketing), that is even below what I was doing before. My boyfriend couldn't get a job at all, he's had to move to the country and is picking oranges! Friends have told me, 6 months is completely normal, others took even longer. As others have said, it really is about who you know, as that's how I got my job.

Honestly, unless you have some good contacts, some work already lined up, or in a specific field where you know there will be jobs, then don't come here as you will lose a lot of money looking for work. Sorry to be so negative!

This is not just related to Adelaide but gives an indication that traditional manufacturing jobs are in serious trouble throughout Australia.

The unemployment figures for Adelaide have been showing an improvement since they peaked but the figures don't show part time / underemployment. Despite the improvement of late they are still the highest in the country and are going to take a major hit when Holden closes down. The closure will not just affect the north but also an extensive supply chain that extends throughout the city.

The positive areas for employment in Adelaide include health, tourism and construction at the moment.

June_3.png

Construction? Oh Please tell me you're serious... How Patronising! Next thing you will say that it's a conspiracy theory.. You have no personal knowledge of the construction field there so please refrain from posting crap like that. You'll be giving potential migrants misinformation.

I don't make up the news stories...

SA construction boom: Adelaide developments 'gold plated' as riverbank transforms

By

Malcolm Sutton

Updated 14 May 2016, 9:07am7404250-3x2-700x467.jpg

PHOTO: Adelaide's riverbank is filled with cranes and construction workers as a rejuvenation of the CBD continues.(ABC News: Malcolm Sutton)

MAP: Adelaide 5000

Adelaide may be undergoing a transformation with major road and utility works but experts have questioned whether taxpayers are getting value for money on high-cost builds and grandiose designs.Key points:

• Professor says building costs remain too high after the resources boom
  • New Royal Adelaide Hospital among the world's most expensive buildings
  • Economic stimulus through construction a priority above value-for-money

Curtin University Professor Peter Newmann said infrastructure costs in Australia had "gone crazy" and construction expenses did not reflect economic conditions."It's the one area of life that seems to have considerably increased in costs," he said."Everything else is fighting to keep costs down but road and rail construction costs have just ballooned and ballooned."It seems to be uncompetitive. It seems to be gold plating in ways that seem ridiculous."Professor Newmann was a member of the board for Infrastructure Australia in its first four

years and said he had been watching road and rail costs increase exponentially.7404328-3x4-340x453.jpg

PHOTO: Several buildings under construction for Adelaide's new health and biomedical precinct. (ABC News: Malcolm Sutton)

He said the resources boom put upward pressure on labour equipment, material and costs but since the resources bust, those costs had not come down enough.Adelaide is home to several major road infrastructure works, including an O-Bahn extension into the CBD, and the $620-million Darlington Upgrade and $896-million Torrens to Torrens project - two sections in its 78-kilometre North-South Corridor.In the CBD's east, the new $2.1 billion Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH) is due to open in November, and will provide 800 beds.It is the fourth most expensive building in the world, according to international building database, Emporis, and is being built in a state with a population of just 1.7 million people.Better Infrastructure Initiative executive director Garry Bowditch said there was every reason to question cost issues "because the project selection process and supporting analytics that produced these decisions were not well scrutinised"."Too often governments and the community fall into the trap of wanting the economic stimulus of the construction and ask questions about value for money too late," he said."Transparency of cost benefit analysis supporting the project is essential, but rarely fulfilled."In 2013, the Business Council of Australia said Australia's hospitals were 62 per cent more expensive to build than in other OECD countries, while shopping centres were 43 per cent more expensive and schools 26 per cent.Mr Bowditch said cost pressures on infrastructure had since reduced, but there were "deep inadequacies in ensuring how we choose the right project, and in turn how much it costs"."There's a strong institutional bias to build the mega project, when all the empirical evidence suggests we should be adopting the position that small is beautiful," he said.

'Forecast demand' a driver behind major infrastructure

Engineers Australia infrastructure spokesperson Chris Warnock said there were a number of reasons why infrastructure "may be perceived as catering for greater than is absolutely necessary".This included forecast demand and planning horizons, as well as "future-proofing allowances"."If the concerns refer to non-competitive construction costs, then it may be relevant to the procurement processes adopted," Mr Warnock said.

7404576-3x2-340x227.jpg

PHOTO: Cladding being installed over Adelaide's expanded Convention Centre. (ABC News: Malcolm Sutton)

The new RAH is surrounded by construction for nearly $1 billion worth of buildings to complete a health and biomedical precinct in the city's West End.Further east from the hospital, Adelaide's riverfront is being transformed with a $397-million Convention Centre expansion, a $90-million Festival Centre refurbishment, and behind it, a $610-million Festival Plaza upgrade is being planned.One architect recently made a remark to the ABC about the massive amount of steel being used in the Convention Centre expansion.University of SA Construction Economics senior lecturer Timothy O'Leary said architects would always have strong opinions about design features and a building's engineering."The truth is, there is a trend [nationally and internationally] to want the best in terms of facilities and not skimp and build more modest facilities," he said.He said an argument for top-shelf facilities included its forecast operating profits and whether building better facilities would generate more income.Mr O'Leary pointed to the refurbished "premium-type" Adelaide Oval that opened in 2013 as a successful example.

Ok so that article mentions NRAH three times. NRAH is built. I worked there for 18 months. The other 3 buildings are over 50% complete all located along north terrace. So who's going to employ the 400 electricians that have left the hospital since Feburary? It can't be a coincidence that I'm receiving constant txt messages and calls regarding work. The advertiser releases prospective Jobs all the time. Most get caught up in the red tape of the Adelaide council... can you please be honest when your dealing with people from the construction industry

Edited by snifter
edited re forum rules

Ok so that article mentions NRAH three times. NRAH is built. I worked there for 18 months. The other 3 buildings are over 50% complete all located along north terrace. So who's going to employ the 400 electricians that have left the hospital since Feburary? It can't be a coincidence that I'm receiving constant txt messages and calls regarding work. The advertiser releases prospective Jobs all the time. Most get caught up in the red tape of the Adelaide council... can you please be honest when your dealing with people from the construction industry

Hello, just little old honest me - I cannot tell a lie :) , a little more information that Jobseekers might want to read:

http://indaily.com.au/opinion/2016/03/02/the-untold-story-sas-hidden-jobless-and-under-employed/

and

http://indaily.com.au/business/analysis/2016/06/14/business-perceptions-of-sas-economy/

and here's a very accurate article from 2013

http://www.adelaide-southaustralia.com/news/adelaide-jobs/

hard to say it's got better or worse since then.

Plenty more on both those sites, or if you prefer you can look at Koala's, newest boom suburbs, beaches , crows vs port stuff and Sparkling Wine receptions for locals and weird internet linked stuff from around the web in the comic known as adelaidenow.com.au

Up to you

Just little old honest you deryans. Hope life is treating you well back in sunny England :)

Hey Snifter, Thanks for asking :) , I hope you are well also .

All good here, family all settled, Kids all doing well, my aussie wife has settled into "country life" in east sussex quite alarmingly well!

London busy as ever, but what a complete mess and turmoil on the Britexit debacle, Farage , Gove and Bojo have made fools of themselves and the people of GB, oh well onwards and sort of upwards..... :huh:, markets jittery but general feeling where i sit (city-finance-legal) is that there will be no significant change for years - if any.

Other than that all good, actually enjoy my commute 95% of the time, kids old enough for me to see them when I get back and I'm reading books like there is no tomorrow.

Off to Greek Islands for two weeks at end of july, going to duxford flying legends today and got stuck in the goodwood festival of speed on the way to TankFest in Dorset last week because a little 8 year old finger had pressed the satnav [avoid motorways button] on the prado!!!! Grrrrr :arghh:

Hope xenephon does something good for the state of SA, at worst he'll keep them honest at best he'll upset the boys club..

Best of luck,

deryans

All good here thank you :) Glad its working out for you back in England. Its good to hear your wife has settled well. My Aus hubby was the same when he moved to rural south west England to be with me all those years ago. Apart from having to handle chickens. He never did take to having to pick them up :cute: But the farm, way of life and everything else he settled right in. He loved his years in Bristol also. I think some people cope better with living in other countries than others, perhaps don't suffer homesickness or a longing and are able to cope with what migration may throw at them. Who knows but its good to hear of someone migrating (to anywhere) who settles well as it can be a real kick in the teeth if you don't.

We've all been going great since moving back here. Settled well, hubby as happy as anything and has no complaints about his years living in NZ or England and has many fond memories. He's settled very well back into life here too. I had a few settling in niggles as I think most do (the old worry about child liking new school and making friends and stuff like that) but it certainly didn't spoil things for me and I've managed to overcome some personal loss, work issues and more and at almost three years in, am very happy here. Have never been unhappy here, just have had to get on and live life when things get a bit tough, same as I did in England. People work it out in their own way and do what feels right for them :)

I feel sad that a country I love and spent many years in seems to have the wheels falling off somewhat at present. I hope in the longer term things work out and the country is able to come through it. Somewhat diluted perhaps if Scotland and NI depart, but what will be will be now. Like you back there watching Aus politics from a distance, we in Aus can only do the same with regard to the UK and the decision to leave the EU.

Thanks for everyone's responses re the job market - I think it has confirmed what deep down I already knew. As a migrant keen to find work within a couple of weeks/ months then Adelaide probably isn't going to be the best choice. I'm actually considering going to Sydney for a couple of months finding casual work and then making my decision where I want to live permanently when I'm actually in Australia. It's pretty difficult trying to make these huge decisions when not even in the country!

Thanks for everyone's responses re the job market - I think it has confirmed what deep down I already knew. As a migrant keen to find work within a couple of weeks/ months then Adelaide probably isn't going to be the best choice. I'm actually considering going to Sydney for a couple of months finding casual work and then making my decision where I want to live permanently when I'm actually in Australia. It's pretty difficult trying to make these huge decisions when not even in the country!

I suggest you post on our sister site, Poms In Oz, if you've not done so already. Ask about the work situation in other states/cities on there.

TBH Sydney would concern me simply for the cost of living there, which is very high and you may find yourself with a very long commute from well away from the city. Of course, if its just you and you don't care where you are based then you could keep costs down with hostels and so on if working casual starting off. Longer term, salary wise it may not be viable to live in Sydney given the high rents etc but further out there could be options. People we know live a good hour or two out of Sydney itself and commute in or work local to where they live and only ever head into the city a couple of times in a few months sort of thing. Most of their day to day life is lived locally or closer to home. One family we know lived in Wollongong and it was a good 90 minute commute at the best of times for them into Sydney.

For any migrant moving over there is no sure fire way of knowing if you'll find work within a couple of weeks or months, wherever you start off or move to. I think a migrating single person (with perhaps no large possessions to worry about) moving its easier as you can move with ease for little cost compared to trying to transport a family of 4 and house contents etc. So yes you can travel to other cities or states to chase work and to check out whereabouts might be a place you love and want to try to settle in. If you have a partner or family to consider also, its well worth trying to ensure you are well researched into all areas of interest before you settle on one to start off with.

Starting off in Sydney hopefully will work out and you'll get a bit of work or find something to suit. Just ensure you have some savings and so on to fall back on wherever you decide to head to.

Good luck with it all :)

Hello All,

This is Jinesh, I have got my S/N 190 Visa which states that I need to live and work (per the obligation) for 2 years in South Australia and later I can move anywhere across Australia. I am currently working in United States in Software Testing field and planning to move to Adelaide in October 2016. I need to know how is the Job market for Software Testing jobs, any alternative jobs can be done till the time I don't find my kind of Job and how difficult it is to sustain till I don't find it.

I would appreciate your response and suggestions, if any. Also if I can come to know the best sharing locations to stay, transportation information and also is October good moth for job markets that would be great help.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Jinesh

Hey Snifter, Thanks for asking :) , I hope you are well also .

All good here, family all settled, Kids all doing well, my aussie wife has settled into "country life" in east sussex quite alarmingly well!

London busy as ever, but what a complete mess and turmoil on the Britexit debacle, Farage , Gove and Bojo have made fools of themselves and the people of GB, oh well onwards and sort of upwards..... :huh:, markets jittery but general feeling where i sit (city-finance-legal) is that there will be no significant change for years - if any.

Other than that all good, actually enjoy my commute 95% of the time, kids old enough for me to see them when I get back and I'm reading books like there is no tomorrow.

Off to Greek Islands for two weeks at end of july, going to duxford flying legends today and got stuck in the goodwood festival of speed on the way to TankFest in Dorset last week because a little 8 year old finger had pressed the satnav [avoid motorways button] on the prado!!!! Grrrrr :arghh:

Hope xenephon does something good for the state of SA, at worst he'll keep them honest at best he'll upset the boys club..

Best of luck,

deryans

Gotta love London....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3698316/Police-officer-stabbed-struck-bottle-spontaneous-Hyde-Park-water-fight-descends-blade-chaos-two-revellers-suffering-knife-wounds.html

and on a less serious note....public transport in meltdown!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3697044/Scorchio-Britain-braced-one-hottest-July-days-temperatures-set-reach-35C-Twitter-users-going-heatwave-meltdown.html

Edited by zebedee