Can I avoid these costs?

JimandBarbinAus

Hi, Ive just been looking at the cost of short term accommodation in adelaide and nearly choked! I am shocked how much money this can eat up. :shocked:

Im just wondering if anyone has found a way round this or for example gone straight into long term rental on arrival from uk? Could this be possible and are inspections a requirement prior to securing a tenancy? I really apreciate some views from people who have gone through this - Regards - Laura.

Guest Mitchell
Hi, Ive just been looking at the cost of short term accommodation in adelaide and nearly choked! I am shocked how much money this can eat up. :shocked:

Im just wondering if anyone has found a way round this or for example gone straight into long term rental on arrival from uk? Could this be possible and are inspections a requirement prior to securing a tenancy? I really apreciate some views from people who have gone through this - Regards - Laura.

Most real estate agents want you in the country before you can apply for a long term rental. I found a rental and moved in in just over 3 weeks but I was working full time from when I arrived. Other PIAs have done it in under 2 weeks. You do need to check out the area you're moving to before moving. I didn't check that well and ended up far away from the city, transport etc so it's worth taking the time.

Hiya,

When we arrived in Sept 08 we did take up short term rental for 2 weeks with Glenelg Rental Agency.This was a wise decision,as it was a furnished 2 bed accommodation(though there was 4 of us!)Breathing space whilst we asked and looked around is what it gave us.A bit more expensive,but sustainable short term.IMO this approach is one of the best options. Good Luck., Sue.

Guest guest3462

We knew we wanted ro be in Aldinga beach before we came as we hadxalready commissioned a house build here, so we arranged a 6 month rental from the uk thru lj hooker real estate. They were very helpful and approachable, bit the landlord did make us pay an extra $10 a week rent as a security and 2 months rent up front plus the bond. We figured that it was still considerably less than a holiday / short term let for 3 weeks so went for it and were very pleased that we did. If you have a good idea of where you are going to settle then I'd defo recommend it! :-)

Guest Guest75

Hmmm??

Tyke takes Mod hat off and defends the area of business he is in ...along with a few other respected members of this forum.

Arriving with nowhere to stay........ hotel room $100 per night.

Oooeerr Missus ! It;'s a family of 4 so that's 200 per night!!!

So that's two whole rooms we now have.

$500 to $700 per week for a fully furnished rental house including services and internet access - let's divide that by 7 days............ erm ,that's $100 at tops per night.

Ooooeerr......... that's for an entire 3 bed house,bags of room and sleeps up to 6 people.

So instead of $50 per person per day............... $17 per person per day is expensive????

I'm sorry but I am not particularly having a go at the Original thread starter - just defending against some of the misconceptions that furnished rental houses are expensive!!!!

Perhaps the poor exchange rate makes short term accommodation in general seem expensive - but that is not the property owner's fault.

I'd nearly bet my own home that the container does not turn up on time and can be weeks late.

A few days "camping" in an unfurnished rental seems fun,but it soon wears off.

That's before we get onto the help/advice and service given that hotels and so on do not offer.

I for one have done everything from rescue guests from pretty nasty car crashes to emotional support on a grand scale during the first few days of guests arrival.

There is a lot more to furnished rentals than meets the eye - particularly from the forum members who offer their services in here. We KNOW what is like to make the move here.

I suppose you could take a real risk and arrange a rental from the UK,obviously a very risky strategy as no agent worth his /her salt would let to persons unseen.

You may like living next to the local bikie gang or lead smelting plant :biglaugh:

<end rant>

I'll field the complaints .:cute:

Guest cornish Busdriver

Im afaid i totally 100% agree with Tyke.

When me and my ex moved over we stayed in the Adelaide Meridian on Melbourn street for 2 weeks at $110 per night for both of us ($770 per week), then we had to pay to eat out every night $60 -$70 per night, pay for internet access and pay to use the washing machines.

$500 - $700 per week all in and being able to cook your own food that saves heaps is a pretty good deal. I wish i knew about tykes and other on here houses.

It is hard to say anything on these forums because you don't want to sound self serving but the question has been asked and so it is good to hear the other side too. Furnished rentals do provide a lot more than just the accommodation side of it - it really is like being in your own home, eating out is nice for a little while but definitely eats into your dollars. I think people who provide accommodation in this forum do provide a lot of information and advice also to people who are new to Adelaide and not only that the homes are "real" they are in nice suburbs close to facilities and transport and the owners are normal people who understand what you are going through.

Well said Tyke!

we used RooRentals, and i would recommend Judi to anyone;

not only is it cost effective to rent a furnished rental, you then have someone to help you adjust to such a momentous move!! As Tyke said, its not just the rental its the advise, support and general welcome to Adelaide......................you guys do a grand job.......good on ya.

To the OP, please think caarefully about your plans, the resources are in place......if you choose not to use them, well, thats your choice, but seriously, every little helps!!

Guest Aussie pat

We used short term rental when we arrived and found that you got a discount if you booked a block of weeks up front. We ended up using it for 3 months and were really glad we did as it gave us time to find a home to buy and for our container to arrive. We also didn't have to worry about references and utility bills in the short term. We have now been here 2 years and feel that it was a good investment as it stopped us from rushing into purchases we either didn't need to make or felt were a mistake in the long run.

We would use them again. Yes it was also nice and cheaper to cook our own meals. Also despite my growing up in Adelaide I found that I felt really shell shocked when we returned which I hadn't expected. Using the rental and just walking into a home that was set up helped me get back into a normal routine and I recovered much quicker.

We used Shaun and Tamara, Homes Down Under. They have a few properties and are on PIA, we stayed at Port Noarlunga in their Riverview Cottage. Lovely place, caters for what you need as a base to get started and hit the ground running. Have to agree with Tyke and other comments on short term rentals, they are invaluable, not only for the cost but we found that Internet connection and all phone calls using Skype were included in the rental cost (which is a massive help believe me for calling Gov Dept's, searching for long term rentals, job hunting, the list is endless really)

Think the biggest thing, that money can't buy was the fact that you have someone to support you with all the paperwork and general info, Shaun and Tamara were great and gave us loads of advice, where to go to get things sorted etc.

Hope this helps,

regards

Also don't underestimate the emotional hit of landing in a foreign country, miles away from everything you know and love, with jet lag to deal with on top of that. We had a furnished apartment arranged to go to - and it was such heaven being able to collapse onto a real bed in those first few days and brew up a cup of tea. The thought of having to arrive to an empty unfurnished place, and have to go straight out shopping to buy blow-up mattresses etc to tide you until your container arrives.... think the flight back to UK would start to look very attractive very quickly! Not the best start to your new life.

Some savings really are a false economy.

Guest m.jephcott

We also stayed in Homes down under homes from Tamara and Shaun, we booked for 4 weeks and ended up staying for 8, better than an empty rental home. I don't think that it is that expensive either, considering what you would spend on rent, gas, electric, phone calls, broadband etc anyway and is well worth a few weeks stay to get you bearings and chose a suitable property in the right area .

Guest kangomik

Diane makes a good point there.

If you arrive to an unfurnished rental, and indeed most furnished you will still have to go out and buy bedding etc. ( we had too)

Trust me you may think landing early am on a singapore flight will give you loads of time, but you cannot account for the amount of jet lag and emotional baggage your bringing.

It takes at least a week to stop waking in the middle of the night:biglaugh:

No lecky, Gas, or internet bills.

Thats another one, most rentals have the power and phone lines off when you move in, so you need to get those connected on your first day here too.

Unavoidable cost i reckon....you need somewhere when you get here...so not much choice.

Having said that it is possible to secure a long term rental from the UK.....I had friends coming out here, who knew exactly where they wanted to be...so i found them a rental (they trusted my judgement lol)....and they applied, did all the paperwork from the UK and got it.

But yes the problem is also waiting for your container to arrive....unless of course you are planning to buy things when you get here...

We were so lucky when we arrived.....we had 2 weeks booked at brighton caravan park, and then found a rental in Hallett Cove...couldnt believe our luck when the landlord said he didnt expect to rent the place out so quickly (this was in the November)...he hadnt planned to move out till January! Well he moved in with his girlfriend earlier than planned....and asked if he could leave all his stuff till January for us to use??????? (they were having a house built).... OMG...jumped at that....fully furnished 3 bed property for $250 a week!!!! Then when our stuff arrived, he moved his stuff out and helped us unpack!!!!

Guest Mitchell

I completely agree with Diane. I got no choice where I stayed as it was booked and paid for by my employer. I was in the quest apartments in Mawson Lakes. Very lovely and so much better having a washing machine and being able to cook my own dinner. Very expensive though $150 a night just for me and that was with a big discount as work use it a lot. One of the girls on the desk (and her sister who stayed one weekend) were great in explaining random things I didn't under stand and giving me advice. Got a lot of support from sone people at work too. That's the bit that money can't buy!!

Guest cdchats

We moved over from the UK on the 1st January into furnished accomodation arranged through a member of PIA...it seemed expensive conpared to unfurnished BUT you would spend a a SHED load more money if you move TO quickly into unfurnished.

We spent nearly 3 weeks looking at schools and areas to live...we changed our mind several times on area in this time...not to mention the fact that some of the rental properties advertised on realestate.com looked great....BUT not when you get to the open viewing...WHAT an experience !!! and some have to be seen to be believed !!!

I agree with Tyke that a few days 'camping' is not the way to go....you would start spending money on things that you know you have on your container.

We were lucky that we were able to stay with family in the UK and time our arrival with the landing of our container...or so we thought but we still have to wait another month before we saw the contents.

FYI our time line...container left UK 7th November...to arrive in Adelaide on 30th December....we left UK on 30th December....container actually arrived on 8th January....cleared customs etc 12th January (this more luck than judgement)....found suitable accomodation on 25th January...moved in on 31st January.